Why Make Characters Gay?

Dr Grump

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2006
From the Back of Beyond
Having just watched the Game of Thrones TV series, I bought the books. Am half way through the fourth.

In the television series they have made Renly and Loras: Knight of the Flowers gay/bisexual. In the books Renly is decidedly not gay, and all indications are neither is Loras.

As many can attest, I am one of the least homophobic posters on this board. I believe in gay marriage etc, etc.

However, why have the producers decided to fuck with their characters? Hollywood gay mafia at work maybe.

Don't get me wrong, if George Martin had written the characters as gay, no problemo...just seems weird. I get artistic license and everything, but it would be like turning Ned Stark into a meglomanical tyrant (which he wasn't)...

Having just watched the Game of Thrones TV series, I bought the books. Am half way through the fourth.

In the television series they have made Renly and Loras: Knight of the Flowers gay/bisexual. In the books Renly is decidedly not gay, and all indications are neither is Loras.

As many can attest, I am one of the least homophobic posters on this board. I believe in gay marriage etc, etc.

However, why have the producers decided to fuck with their characters? Hollywood gay mafia at work maybe.

Don't get me wrong, if George Martin had written the characters as gay, no problemo...just seems weird. I get artistic license and everything, but it would be like turning Ned Stark into a meglomanical tyrant (which he wasn't)...

i think it's just a diversity thing... a way of reflecting what's out there in the real world.

Thanks for the warning.

Funny.gif

i think it's just a diversity thing... a way of reflecting what's out there in the real world.

In book four there is a bi character. And it ain't the real world. It's fantasy...

In book four there is a bi character. And it ain't the real world. It's fantasy...

i know that. but i'm just opining as to why they'd make the character different from the in books.

Is gay a bad thing?

Is gay a bad thing?

See bolded part....

To make everything more appealing/politically correct to what ever group.... for what ever reason.

You do know GRR is a consultant on the series, don't you? He flat out said that Renly gay in the books, and that most readers missed it. Maybe you are more homophobic than you thought.

When I watched Game of Thrones I wondered about that, not remembering anything like it from the books. I went and Google'd about it, and there are actually a number of people who think that Martin DID, in fact, give some hints about Renly being gay, and perhaps a relationship between him and Loras. You can try and look it up yourself to see the few examples some people will give; if it's there and intentional in the books, it's very subtle.

Of course, the director may have just felt a desire to do it, or HBO execs may have asked for it for whatever reason.

Forum List

Back