Votes: 2 11.8%
  • in a small rural community

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • in an isolated home, 50 miles from anyone else

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • put me on a boat anytime any where

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
I remember watching the TV comedy series "Green Acres" and thinking "Mr. Douglass" was an idiot. Living in the city had so many things going for it, that it was a no brainer to live in one, if a person could afford it.

Cities offered more jobs that were easily available and only a fresh air walk and a trolley ride away. Dallas still had them back then, Ft Worth too.

Cities were much safer to live in too. Criminals could slip into a rural house and kill people in their sleep, steal the stuff and slip away into the woods and fields around them.

Cities had hospitals and big libraries that held almost every kind of book. Big movie theaters, and festivals and stuff that were entertaining and made you feel excited and more alive.

But the other day I was talking to my wife and she said 'Only an idiot would live in a city.' and she said it so matter-of-factly that I was caught off guard and surprised to hear it from her, a grown-up city girl from LA.

I asked her why she says that, and she said that there is no reason to live in cities anymore.

And it is true. With the pandemic, nearly everyone has found out that you can telework as easily as drive-in and the output actually goes up, believe it or not. All the entertainment that used to only be found in cities is available on streaming services, libraries too. The commute into work is a pain in the ass that nearly everyone hates to death. And cities certainly are not safer than the suburbs or rural areas.

So it struck me that she had a good point; why the hell live in a city?
I grew up in NYC and there are somethings about it I miss every day. I left for the burbs because it seems like a good compromise between city and non-city. I'm close enough to a city to take advantage of what it offers but preferred to raise my kids elsewhere. It always seemed to me that cities were for the very rich, the very poor, or very young adults newly on their own. I've never regretted it.

Cities tend Democratic since to live in a city you have to have a good government to supply the services you require: roads, zoning, transportation, etc. The GOP demonizes gov't but cities require it and it needs to work. The GOP is appealing to a smaller and smaller demographic and it is why they are a minority party in terms of voters.

Ever been to Houston?

Democratic Mayor for decades and the roads will break your axel...

So the Dems and GOP do very little to fix the issues in the City if Houston...
Took a TX vacay last year. Saw Houston, Galveston, Austin, and San Antonio (I'm a city boy). Houston was my least favorite, really liked Austin and San Antonio, I could live there. Had been to El Paso years ago, liked it, interesting place but could not live there.
I want to move to SA myself.

The only reason to live in Houston is for the money.
I kick myself in the ass everyday for selling my place on the S.Llano river.
It was a long drive from Houston but it's beautiful up there.

We bought the place for $350k!!!
Just over ten acres with 100 yards of river front and a spring fed creek along with a pecan bottom.
The springs were actually visible off the bridge over the creek!
I'll have to transfer some pics to digital to show them.
Could have shot a deer everyday but the county limit was five a year.
Then there were the turkey's,the imported animals that were open season.

Oh....we sold it for $480k.

I remember watching the TV comedy series "Green Acres" and thinking "Mr. Douglass" was an idiot. Living in the city had so many things going for it, that it was a no brainer to live in one, if a person could afford it.

Cities offered more jobs that were easily available and only a fresh air walk and a trolley ride away. Dallas still had them back then, Ft Worth too.

Cities were much safer to live in too. Criminals could slip into a rural house and kill people in their sleep, steal the stuff and slip away into the woods and fields around them.

Cities had hospitals and big libraries that held almost every kind of book. Big movie theaters, and festivals and stuff that were entertaining and made you feel excited and more alive.

But the other day I was talking to my wife and she said 'Only an idiot would live in a city.' and she said it so matter-of-factly that I was caught off guard and surprised to hear it from her, a grown-up city girl from LA.

I asked her why she says that, and she said that there is no reason to live in cities anymore.

And it is true. With the pandemic, nearly everyone has found out that you can telework as easily as drive-in and the output actually goes up, believe it or not. All the entertainment that used to only be found in cities is available on streaming services, libraries too. The commute into work is a pain in the ass that nearly everyone hates to death. And cities certainly are not safer than the suburbs or rural areas.

I grew up in NYC and there are somethings about it I miss every day. I left for the burbs because it seems like a good compromise between city and non-city. I'm close enough to a city to take advantage of what it offers but preferred to raise my kids elsewhere. It always seemed to me that cities were for the very rich, the very poor, or very young adults newly on their own. I've never regretted it.

Cities tend Democratic since to live in a city you have to have a good government to supply the services you require: roads, zoning, transportation, etc. The GOP demonizes gov't but cities require it and it needs to work. The GOP is appealing to a smaller and smaller demographic and it is why they are a minority party in terms of voters.

Ever been to Houston?

Took a TX vacay last year. Saw Houston, Galveston, Austin, and San Antonio (I'm a city boy). Houston was my least favorite, really liked Austin and San Antonio, I could live there. Had been to El Paso years ago, liked it, interesting place but could not live there.
I want to move to SA myself.

It's a cool town but you need to be able to live in the white part of town.

We live in the city and couldn't be happier. We also have a smaller place in the sticks (where we grew up) when we want bounce from the hustle for an extended holiday or long weekend.

I grew up in the large city of Youngstown, but move 5 years ago to a smaller city in Mercer County, PA.

Its a lot more orderly for sure but really more convenient that the big city

My wife is an LA gal too. I think it's finally dawning on her the wisdom of moving to hell out of the city. I just wish it could have been all way the hell out of California but its too late now. But at least she now agrees it was a bad move staying in this fucked up state.

Ever been to Houston?

BatteredStatist.jpg

Forum List

Back