• in an isolated home, 50 miles from anyone else

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • put me on a boat anytime any where

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I remember watching the TV comedy series "Green Acres" and thinking "Mr. Douglass" was an idiot. Living in the city had so many things going for it, that it was a no brainer to live in one, if a person could afford it.

Cities offered more jobs that were easily available and only a fresh air walk and a trolley ride away. Dallas still had them back then, Ft Worth too.

Cities were much safer to live in too. Criminals could slip into a rural house and kill people in their sleep, steal the stuff and slip away into the woods and fields around them.

Cities had hospitals and big libraries that held almost every kind of book. Big movie theaters, and festivals and stuff that were entertaining and made you feel excited and more alive.

But the other day I was talking to my wife and she said 'Only an idiot would live in a city.' and she said it so matter-of-factly that I was caught off guard and surprised to hear it from her, a grown-up city girl from LA.

I asked her why she says that, and she said that there is no reason to live in cities anymore.

And it is true. With the pandemic, nearly everyone has found out that you can telework as easily as drive-in and the output actually goes up, believe it or not. All the entertainment that used to only be found in cities is available on streaming services, libraries too. The commute into work is a pain in the ass that nearly everyone hates to death. And cities certainly are not safer than the suburbs or rural areas.

So it struck me that she had a good point; why the hell live in a city?

I remember watching the TV comedy series "Green Acres" and thinking "Mr. Douglass" was an idiot. Living in the city had so many things going for it, that it was a no brainer to live in one, if a person could afford it.

Cities offered more jobs that were easily available and only a fresh air walk and a trolley ride away. Dallas still had them back then, Ft Worth too.

Cities were much safer to live in too. Criminals could slip into a rural house and kill people in their sleep, steal the stuff and slip away into the woods and fields around them.

Cities had hospitals and big libraries that held almost every kind of book. Big movie theaters, and festivals and stuff that were entertaining and made you feel excited and more alive.

But the other day I was talking to my wife and she said 'Only an idiot would live in a city.' and she said it so matter-of-factly that I was caught off guard and surprised to hear it from her, a grown-up city girl from LA.

I asked her why she says that, and she said that there is no reason to live in cities anymore.

And it is true. With the pandemic, nearly everyone has found out that you can telework as easily as drive-in and the output actually goes up, believe it or not. All the entertainment that used to only be found in cities is available on streaming services, libraries too. The commute into work is a pain in the ass that nearly everyone hates to death. And cities certainly are not safer than the suburbs or rural areas.

One advantage is that you meet very few liberals outside of the cities

1604049083419.png

Peace and quiet.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

I made the ride from Pa. to NYC every day for work. To me it was like going to the zoo. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good people in NY and there is plenty to do and see. But the leadership ever since Rudy has let the city slide pretty bad. Dangerous and unhealthy things are happening now that would have never happened under Rudy. It's a shame but NYC is a shithole today. NYC is like living your life with a mask and Pa. is like when you take your mask off after leaving a store. Can't beat that fresh air and the discipline that country people have. Stick with Trumpie

I live in Austin County Texas which is about thirty miles from Katy, one hundred forty miles from San Antonio and eighty miles from Austin, so I am in the perfect spot.

Sealy and Bellville have enough stores for me to shop and if needed I can run into Katy and get what I need.

I do travel to Houston daily for work related nonsense but if I can I stay outside the City...

I grew up in NYC and there are somethings about it I miss every day. I left for the burbs because it seems like a good compromise between city and non-city. I'm close enough to a city to take advantage of what it offers but preferred to raise my kids elsewhere. It always seemed to me that cities were for the very rich, the very poor, or very young adults newly on their own. I've never regretted it.

Cities tend Democratic since to live in a city you have to have a good government to supply the services you require: roads, zoning, transportation, etc. The GOP demonizes gov't but cities require it and it needs to work. The GOP is appealing to a smaller and smaller demographic and it is why they are a minority party in terms of voters.

I grew up in NYC and there are somethings about it I miss every day. I left for the burbs because it seems like a good compromise between city and non-city. I'm close enough to a city to take advantage of what it offers but preferred to raise my kids elsewhere. It always seemed to me that cities were for the very rich, the very poor, or very young adults newly on their own. I've never regretted it.

Cities tend Democratic since to live in a city you have to have a good government to supply the services you require: roads, zoning, transportation, etc. The GOP demonizes gov't but cities require it and it needs to work. The GOP is appealing to a smaller and smaller demographic and it is why they are a minority party in terms of voters.

Ever been to Houston?

Democratic Mayor for decades and the roads will break your axel...

So the Dems and GOP do very little to fix the issues in the City if Houston...

I partially grew up in and near Buffalo NY before it became a communist enclave, when there was still industry even though in serious decline. We had a democrook Mayor known as Jimmy Griffin who actually spoke his mind, and did what he believed was right while surrounded by jabbering autistic bed wetters in the media and city council.

I found FREEDOM in Texas, especially rural TX and I will be proud to have been found laying on a pile of empty brass casings defending it.

There is no where else to run to now. Our backs are against the wall.

Last edited:
Ever been to Houston?
Houston is a shit-hole and I hear Dallas is in the toilet these days too.

Houston grew so fast that it never caught up to being one of the biggest cities in America...

Been down here for almost three decades and will tell you Mayor White was decent but Brown, Parker and Turner all have been horrible!

Driving through Houston the pot holes are so big that you can kill a man on fifth avenue in New York and dumb his body in a Houston pothole and it would never be found...

Ever been to Houston?

Took a TX vacay last year. Saw Houston, Galveston, Austin, and San Antonio (I'm a city boy). Houston was my least favorite, really liked Austin and San Antonio, I could live there. Had been to El Paso years ago, liked it, interesting place but could not live there.

I live in Austin County Texas which is about thirty miles from Katy, one hundred forty miles from San Antonio and eighty miles from Austin, so I am in the perfect spot.

Sealy and Bellville have enough stores for me to shop and if needed I can run into Katy and get what I need.

I do travel to Houston daily for work related nonsense but if I can I stay outside the City...
Me too.

Ever been to Houston?
Houston is a shit-hole and I hear Dallas is in the toilet these days too.

Houston grew so fast that it never caught up to being one of the biggest cities in America...

Been down here for almost three decades and will tell you Mayor White was decent but Brown, Parker and Turner all have been horrible!

Driving through Houston the pot holes are so big that you can kill a man on fifth avenue in New York and dumb his body in a Houston pothole and it would never be found...
Try hitting one on a Harley sometime.

I was born in the city, but years ago I moved to the exurbs 45 miles north of Twin Cities. Nothing but peace and quiet, wildlife and no rioting BLM.

I have access to the entire state snowmobile trail system right from my backyard. My only wish is to one day have a lake property.

I used to like living in the city, and enjoyed my quiet little neighborhood here.

Then this wannabe ghetto thug "Jesus" moved in, and it's been a nightmare for the neighborhood ever since.

Violent fights, drug activity, and constant bass noise, so loud I can't even have a conversation in my own home.

So yeah, I politely ask "Jesus" to refrain from turning on his loud system, until he is out of the neighborhood..and I am responded to with threats of violence.

With this becoming ever increasingly acceptable behavior amongst urban black youth (due to groups like BLM), moving out to the country to get away from this insanity..is really the smartest thing folks can do.

I live in a small city and would like to move to a small town of 5000 or less. Yes, everyone might know everyone’s business but who the hell cares. At least it would be quiet. As far as the Dems running cities with better infrastructure and all that BS, the city I. Live in is the reason I want out. Ran by Democrats, high crime, high homeless rate, poorly ran and lots of street repairs to be done.

Ever been to Houston?

I lived there in 79 and 80. It was pretty good then. Plenty of money to be made and things to do. The Oilers were pretty good then too.

I used to like living in the city, and enjoyed my quiet little neighborhood here.

Then this wannabe ghetto thug "Jesus" moved in, and it's been a nightmare for the neighborhood ever since.

Violent fights, drug activity, and constant bass noise, so loud I can't even have a conversation in my own home.

So yeah, I politely ask "Jesus" to refrain from turning on his loud system, until he is out of the neighborhood..and I am responded to with threats of violence.

With this becoming ever increasingly acceptable behavior amongst urban black youth (due to groups like BLM), moving out to the country to get away from this insanity..is really the smartest thing folks can do.
I dealt with a similar problem in Fayetteville NC back around 2004, after I came back from a deployment and discovered a crew of 4 young fucktards had moved in a few doors down and were disrupting the neighborhood, and bringing police attention to our block. We didn't like that.
So after talking with other residents of the street, they were given a week to vacate.

They didn't take it seriously until lit road flares started coming through their bedroom window at 3am.

Forum List

Back