Why Isn't This A Death Penalty?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygUxON4faJc]HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT SUCKER PUNCHES TEACHER KNOCKING HIM UNCONSCIOUS! - YouTube[/ame]

1. "PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A teenager who sucker punched a schoolteacher in a downtown alley - an attack caught on surveillance video - apparently picked the victim at random, police and school officials said.

2. The attack happened last Thursday at about 3:30 p.m. The surveillance video, which Pittsburgh police used to make an arrest Tuesday,...

3. ....the 15-year-old suspect walking with several other youths past 50-year-old James Addlespurger.

4. Addlespurger, who teaches English at an arts high school, was walking in the other direction and did not appear to interact with the youths in any way.

5. The suspect suddenly approached Addlespurger and punched him in the head. The teacher fell hard onto a curb as the teen and the others continued walking.

6. ...there's something very terrifying about it," said Pittsburgh Councilman R. Daniel Lavelle, whose district includes downtown. "In the video it appears

he was laughing afterwards,

which is very disturbing."

7. ... taken to a juvenile detention center on a charge of simple assault but was not identified ...

8. City schools spokeswoman Ebony Pugh said the school system can't take any formal action against the suspect because the attack happened off school grounds and after the school day had ended.

9. The suspect attends a school for troubled youths ... there's no evidence the suspect, or his friends, knew Addlespurger or exchanged words with him."
News from The Associated Press

I see no reason for this thug to be allowed to walk the earth.

an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life....

He didn't take a life, therefore his should not be taken.

Outside of that, locking him up 4 ever could be reasonable! He's dangerous to society and I can't imagine him changing!

Outside of that, locking him up 4 ever could be reasonable! He's dangerous to society and I can't imagine him changing!

Following the assault, do you think the thug would have behaved differently had the victim died as a result of hitting his head on the curb?

I don't.

I can't understand why society should even consider differentiating between what he did, and the death he could have caused.
A lesser sentence because he didn't hit quite hard enough?

An identity thief divests an elderly widower of his entire, life savings by tapping into his bank accounts. Afterwards, the theif brags and laughs about his act to others. He is arrested and charged with identity theft and grand theft.

How about charging him with a capital offense on the theory that the elderly widower could easily have died of heart attack caused by the shock of learning that his life savings had been stolen?

We can open up a whole new world of criminal liability here - capital offenses for what might have happened as a consequence of the bad guy's actions.

Last edited:
He didn't kill anyone so of course there is no reason to take his life. He does need a kick up the bum though for his appalling behavior.

He didn't kill anyone so of course there is no reason to take his life. He does need a kick up the bum though for his appalling behavior.

"...there is no reason to take his life."

Think about the incident every time you walk down the street.

An identity thief divests an elderly widower of his entire, life savings by tapping into his bank accounts. Afterwards, the theif brags and laughs about his act to others. He is arrested and charged with identity theft and grand theft.

How about charging him with a capital offense on the theory that the elderly widower could easily have died of heart attack caused by the shock of learning that his life savings had been stolen?

We can open up a whole new world of criminal liability here - capital offenses for what might have happened as a consequence of the bad guy's actions.

There are people who are a ticking time bomb.

Society needs protection from them.

Following the assault, do you think the thug would have behaved differently had the victim died as a result of hitting his head on the curb?

I don't.

I can't understand why society should even consider differentiating between what he did, and the death he could have caused.

So is it safe to conclude that you also think a driver popping .08 at a roadblock should be punished the same as a drunk driver who's wrecklessness kills someone?

I don't.

So is it safe to conclude that you also think a driver popping .08 at a roadblock should be punished the same as a drunk driver who's wrecklessness kills someone?

I could get behind that kind of penalty for a Rodney King drunken 100 mph race through city streets....

The death penalty isn't appropriate, but something has to be done about the random attacks by teenagers or teenagers are going to start getting the death penalty instantly.

There are people who are a ticking time bomb.

Society needs protection from them.

As much as it may pain you anti-Constitution rw's, in the United States, we don't execute people for their thoughts or for what they might do someday.

Sent from my iPad.

The death penalty isn't appropriate, but something has to be done about the random attacks by teenagers or teenagers are going to start getting the death penalty instantly.

The time is long past to give societal consideration to the victim rather than the perpetrator.

Long past.

HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT SUCKER PUNCHES TEACHER KNOCKING HIM UNCONSCIOUS! - YouTube

1. "PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A teenager who sucker punched a schoolteacher in a downtown alley - an attack caught on surveillance video - apparently picked the victim at random, police and school officials said.

2. The attack happened last Thursday at about 3:30 p.m. The surveillance video, which Pittsburgh police used to make an arrest Tuesday,...

3. ....the 15-year-old suspect walking with several other youths past 50-year-old James Addlespurger.

4. Addlespurger, who teaches English at an arts high school, was walking in the other direction and did not appear to interact with the youths in any way.

5. The suspect suddenly approached Addlespurger and punched him in the head. The teacher fell hard onto a curb as the teen and the others continued walking.

6. ...there's something very terrifying about it," said Pittsburgh Councilman R. Daniel Lavelle, whose district includes downtown. "In the video it appears

7. ... taken to a juvenile detention center on a charge of simple assault but was not identified ...

8. City schools spokeswoman Ebony Pugh said the school system can't take any formal action against the suspect because the attack happened off school grounds and after the school day had ended.

9. The suspect attends a school for troubled youths ... there's no evidence the suspect, or his friends, knew Addlespurger or exchanged words with him."

Death penalty is too good for him

Make him read your posts

Make him read your posts

What???

You subject yourself to the equivalent of the death penalty daily????

Am I in your will?
As you senior citizens glow most when you provide your complete medical report, and while this usually bores me to tears, in your case I am anxious to hear about any ailments, no matter how small or insignificant, as one never knows what could develop into something fatal at your age.

Make him read your posts

What???

Am I in your will?
As you senior citizens glow most when you provide your complete medical report, and while this usually bores me to tears, in your case I am anxious to hear about any ailments, no matter how small or insignificant, as one never knows what could develop into something fatal at your age.

I've already told you....I stopped reading your posts months ago

Make him read your posts

What???

Am I in your will?

What?

What???

Am I in your will?

What?

I generally get about one or two paragraphs into your posts when my "this is stupid" warning light goes on

Forum List

Back