Why is the rate of obesity higher among the poor?

American nation suffers from obesity severely. I have some question to participants.
Why is the rate of obesity higher among the poor? Wouldn't you expect the opposite?
And what explains the differing rates of obesity among various races?
Also, the rate of obesity tends to be about the same for men and women, and this holds true when looking at individual races.
One strange thing, however, is that among African-americans, the rate of obesity is significantly higher among women. Why would this be?

Well that's easy. Cheap food = fattening food.

Saved me the the trouble. :)

This, and in some ethnicities, 'ideal' body type is different. As with some in the black community liking bigger women.

Only recently did thin become attractive. Up until the 1970s or so, fuller figured and outright fat was considered a sign of affluence. Skinny people were considered too poor to eat well.

American nation suffers from obesity severely. I have some question to participants.
Why is the rate of obesity higher among the poor? Wouldn't you expect the opposite?
Also, the rate of obesity tends to be about the same for men and women, and this holds true when looking at individual races.
One strange thing, however, is that among African-americans, the rate of obesity is significantly higher among women. Why would this be?

Another reason is education. Statistics show that the more highly educated one is, the less likely there will be obesity. Education seems to influence almost every aspect of our lives. Usually, poor people are less educated.
Yet basic education is free.

Go figure.
It's available, but many people don't take advantage of it. Uneducated people tend to be poor. They don't value education because they are uneducated. They don't instill a value and respect for education in their children. Read the posts of the conservative right wingers on this board: almost every single one of them denigrate education and educated people. Obviously they are not people who represent the educated.

Just look at the outrage among conservatives about Michelle Obama trying to instill nutritional values in school children

Then they gloat......look how fat poor people are

Last edited:

Because the cheap food has more calories, and poor people don't go to the gym.

Because Whole Foods Market doesn't put stores in the ghetto

website%20heading%20pics%20003%20ajdusted.jpg

From about 1400-1900 'Adele' woulda been a supermodel. Excellent comparison here of 'standards of female beauty' from ancient Greece to now.

3 000 Years Of Women s Beauty Standards Compressed In 3-Minute Video DeMilked

Stills as well as video for each time period. 30s-50s Hollywood is 'plus-sized' in modern terms.

Compared to every other time period, the 60s, and 90s ones look unhealthy and emaciated by comparison. Is really striking. Brings to mind the line from "Captain America: The First Avenger" when the General or Senator is watching the transformation experiment about to begin, "Geez, someone get that kid a sandwich." :)

Because Whole Foods Market doesn't put stores in the ghetto

website%20heading%20pics%20003%20ajdusted.jpg

Yum!

Because the poor in this country don't have trouble affording food.

THey do have trouble affording gym member ships.

Also, working poor likely to not have the time or transportation to get to gyms.

In a first world nation, being thin is a luxury.

What planet do you live on? You don't need any damn gym membership to exercise. You need to get up off your ass and move, which can be done nearly anywhere. The working poor has less time ... what, like everyone else has more hours in a day? If you want to keep healthy and fit eat right and exercise. It's not any more complicated than that. Obese people are obese because they have their cake and eat it all day long.

You don't want to go jogging either in the inner city, OR along a country road.

If you are working two jobs, or even one full time job and providing child care, finding the time to work out daily is hard.

Another reason is education. Statistics show that the more highly educated one is, the less likely there will be obesity. Education seems to influence almost every aspect of our lives. Usually, poor people are less educated.

Go figure.
It's available, but many people don't take advantage of it. Uneducated people tend to be poor. They don't value education because they are uneducated. They don't instill a value and respect for education in their children. Read the posts of the conservative right wingers on this board: almost every single one of them denigrate education and educated people. Obviously they are not people who represent the educated.

NO we don't.

We denigrate educated people who think their degrees make them a higher caste than the rest of us.

We denigrate educated people who use their position in higher education to indoctrinate our young.

We denigrate our public education, that is doing a crappy job.

Go figure.

NO we don't.

We denigrate educated people who think their degrees make them a higher caste than the rest of us.

We denigrate educated people who use their position in higher education to indoctrinate our young.

Educated = elite

You think you're better than me?

Last edited:

Go figure.

NO we don't.

Thank you for proving our point.

Tell me, Ding dong, do you want uneducated people, educating our young?

I personal train and design diets too, ironically. (No, thats really ironic).

But that has fuck all to do with the cdc stats on American obesity. Your personal experiences dont supercede millions of data points. Cuz? Cuz thats retarded.
I'm informed and intelligent enough to know that's nothing but pure bullshit, Michelle.

CDC stats do not track obesity rates.

But that has fuck all to do with the cdc stats on American obesity. Your personal experiences dont supercede millions of data points. Cuz? Cuz thats retarded.
I'm informed and intelligent enough to know that's nothing but pure bullshit, Michelle.

Kay youre dismissed.

Obesity and Overweight for Professionals Data and Statistics - DNPAO - CDC

Kay youre dismissed.

The CDC stats are based on BMI. BMI is a simple height to weight ratio, not a measure of the percentage adipose tissue or obesity. Ironically, the CDC even admits that. In other words, they flat out admit that they are feeding you a line of bullshit.

And ignorant people like you gobble up the bullshit without question.

Last edited:
Does the OP think that a dollar menu cheeseburger is health foods :rofl:

"Derp, why are poor people so fat, fries are only a $1"

Kay youre dismissed.

The CDC stats are based on BMI. BMI is a simple height to weight ratio, not a measure of adipose tissue. Ironically, the CDC even admits that. In other words, they flat out admit that they are feeding you a line of bullshit.

And people like you gobble up the bullshit without question.
I didnt say i agreed with the definition of obesity.

I said americans are obese.

According to said definition, they are.

I agree that bmi is a bad measure, but really ----its worse for the short dense and muscular. In 2015, you see a lot more chub and a lot less muscle.

Kay youre dismissed.

The CDC stats are based on BMI. BMI is a simple height to weight ratio, not a measure of adipose tissue. Ironically, the CDC even admits that. In other words, they flat out admit that they are feeding you a line of bullshit.

I agree that bmi is a bad measure, but really ----its worse for the short dense and muscular. In 2015, you see a lot more chub and a lot less muscle.
One needs only compare demonstrations on Edmund Pettis Bridge, 1965, with memorial of said demonstration in 2015, to realize we are a nation of porkers.

Or rather, most of you guys are.

I'm 6'4", 185.

Comes in handy when shopping, makes it easier to slip between the fatasses and the lardmobiles they drive in the grocery.

Kay youre dismissed.

If you know the alternate CDC redefinition of obesity is inaccurate, then it is obviously disingenuous to use that definition as evidence to back your argument.

This is mainly a black and Hispanic problem
I think it's mainly an imaginary thing. I look around me everywhere I go, and I wonder....

...where the fuck are all of these obese people? Where are they all hiding?

Not long ago I watched some documentary ranting about the supposed childhood obesity epidemic, and the footage showed the lunchroom in a school. But the thing that was missing was the fat kids. Where are all these obese children?

Forum List

Back