Why is Student Loan Overhaul in Health Care Bill?

They rolled the student loan into the health takeover because:

1. It favorably skewed the h/c numbers.
2. They didn't have the votes in the senate for the student loan bill alone.
3. Reconciliation can only be used in a limited fashion and since they were using it to pass h/c they bundled the student loans in with it. ( I wonder what else was bundled in there.)

Last edited:
The whole bill is power, payback, and control... so is it really any wonder why some payback pork and control was added?

My bad...does anyone with a brain, who is not a partisan hack and who does not hate everything the Obama administration does, know why this is in the bill?

To cut out the banks, "the middle man". In doing this they also took away people's choices.

The whole bill is power, payback, and control... so is it really any wonder why some payback pork and control was added?

My bad...does anyone with a brain, who is not a partisan hack and who does not hate everything the Obama administration does, know why this is in the bill?

Stating that the healthcare bill is power, payback, and control makes one 'partisan'?? Funny, thought I was just against the bill and not making some grand statement about the entire other side... And funny, many people on all parts of the political spectrum think the same way about the bill

Can someone tell me what Student Loans and health care have in common? And why a student loan overhaul is in a health care bill?

Student Loan Bill Poised to Pass in Health Vote - NYTimes.com

This is a damn good question. By including this in the healthcare reform legislation, it has the slimy feel of pork. Does anyone out there know WHY it was included?

It is quite sad that with news on 24/7, this question has never been asked by a reporter. And if it had been, it was not answered; and that, too, is sad.

To cut out the banks, "the middle man". In doing this they also took away people's choices.

Fair enough. I believe cutting out the "middle man" MAY be a good idea. However, this legislation puts a tremendous amount of new burden on our Federal Government. And, as with all things pork, if it is such a good idea, why not pull it out and have it debated on it's own merit, rather than bury it in a landmark piece of legislation that is completely non-germane?

Why is this considered a partisan answer?

Do you have a better hypothesis?

They rolled the student loan into the health takeover because:

1. It favorably skewed the h/c numbers.
2. They didn't have the votes in the senate for the student loan bill alone.
3. Reconciliation can only be used in a limited fashion and since they were using it to pass h/c they bundled the student loans in with it. ( I wonder what else was bundled in there.)

^^^^ That sums it up well. The actual figures in the hcb don't add up, so they took out the 'doc fix' (which they will do but do it separately), and put in the student loan bill to 'fix the figures'.

Personally, I'm surprised that more people are not concerned with this but it appears that government take over of anything is fine.

Fair enough. I believe cutting out the "middle man" MAY be a good idea. However, this legislation puts a tremendous amount of new burden on our Federal Government. And, as with all things pork, if it is such a good idea, why not pull it out and have it debated on it's own merit, rather than bury it in a landmark piece of legislation that is completely non-germane?

And this is where I agree with you.. if it is not good enough to stand on it's own, it's still not good enough if it is bundled in with something else... This is one thing I REALLY hate about our current system, and one thing I would fully support changing

Why is this considered a partisan answer?

Do you have a better hypothesis?

I have NO hypothesis, which is why I was hoping for some actual debate on the subect. I am NOT looking for partisan talking points, such as "power grab, control, etc etc"

The irony of this is the hypocrisy it exudes. On one hand, congress talked about the need to have a public option to increase competition and lower premiuym costs; and then they add in the bill an item that eiminates competition for another industry all together.

Makes you wonder what the whole idea of the public option was for to begin with.

Not only is the fucking government forcing young people to pay more for health insurance, it also wants to collect all the interest from student loans so as to pay for health care "reform" Let's wait and see what the new interest rates will be.

I already answered this several posts up.

The gov backs student loans and they say by cutting out banks they are saving tons of money which will then be used for loans/grants. Again, the government is saying this is what it will be used for. :doubt:

All I know is that when applying for student loans prior to this we could choose which bank/terms we wanted. Now? It's uncle's bank/terms. Where's the choice? Where's the competition?

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what Student Loans and health care have in common? And why a student loan overhaul is in a health care bill?

Student Loan Bill Poised to Pass in Health Vote - NYTimes.com

This is a damn good question. By including this in the healthcare reform legislation, it has the slimy feel of pork. Does anyone out there know WHY it was included?

I'll tell you want I find breathtakingly stupid is that you're only just now asking this. Jeeeez, what the hell is the matter with people in this country. You rabidly support a fucking bill and have absolutely no fucking idea what is in it and what it means.

God help us.

Forum List

Back