Why is no one paying attention to the numbers.

atlvm

Rookie
May 12, 2020
I watch and read CNN (fine whatever you may think this isn't about my options). they have a corona virus tracker. Same one used by who, CDC whomever.. not saying one is right or another is wrong.

Now they post headlines : Cases top 1.3 mil, with 80K death in USA.

Then they post numbers by state. It's all nice and neat in columns, presumably by a computer or formula right?

WRONG.

I took the latest figures 1.3 blah blah blah.. and put them in excel formula.

I added what was ALREADY on the same chart (not a different chart, SAME chart) the breakdown. I do a copy and paste.

I put ALL the states (yes including District of Columbia which I know is not a state), stay with me..

I simply did a formula added what was already in nice neat column and did a sum.

To validate what I did. I am looking at ONE site. On that SAME site they have TOTAL figures for US, STATE and COUNTY.

I simply took the headline or sum of US cases :

Then I added EACH state and did a SUM of those: 1,346,766

Off by ~ 36K which in US is not a lot but why is it off AT ALL. The figures should be CALCULATED not simply manually entered, which is obviously what is going on. Wouldn't you take your OWN data, add it yourself and post the SUM of what you are posting? Is that so illogical?

WHY, WHY does it NOT add up to the same figure in the headline.. I know WHY sensationalism.. my question, why is no one calling them out on this. To me if you are off by 1 that is laziness because there is no effort to be truthful.

Do it for yourself. If you go to a web site presumable they don't do their own dirty work that would be asking too much. they just copy what one site does and post the numbers.

You take the SUM of the all the states does it match EXACTLY what they have in the same article for total US cases, deaths and 'recovered'. No it does not. It should. The ACTUAL figures (which if you follow this same logic) supposedly come from a state SUM. What if the cities inflate their numbers, pass those to county who inflate their numbers, pass them to state, and FED.. now you see the picture?!?

These numbers are hardly accurate and I submit inflated.. on purpose?!? maybe.

If I have a site and I have 4 different colors of masks for sale.

I put 50 masks for sale:

10 are blue
12 are red
8 black
and 2 white.

That's NOT 50 why state a figure unless you can verify it's accurate, masks for sale is not life or death but reporting illness in the middle of a pandemic numbers are CRUCIAL, literally life or death, so get it RIGHT!!!

Also what about recovered, surely we have lots of recovered people by now but 1.3 million cases outstanding, only 80K deaths. 220K recovered (again only certain states have recovered cases but they are not appearing on the results in the chart, why?!?). So take 80k from 1.3 million and 220K confirmed recovered we are missing 1 million people status, doesn't that strike anyone as peculiar?!?

my point is if you are stupid enough to post a chart proclaiming the 'report of figures' wouldn't you at LEAST fact check your info to see that it matches what is ALREADY there? They THINK we are not paying attention and as the age old question that always lingers when we are not sure..

'If they are lying about this.... what ELSE are they lying about'.

They don't want people to get upset but THEN they think we are dumb idiots with not way to check their math. You can't post something and ASSUME it's correct need to validate it FIRST!

I have my doubts about what they are printing on death certificates, too. If I were run over by a bus this afternoon, my death certificate would most likely read "Corvid-19" as cause of death. Numbers are inflated for many reasons, not the least of which is the dollar amount paid to each agency reporting a covid death. Ka-cinggg!

I watch and read CNN (fine whatever you may think this isn't about my options). they have a corona virus tracker. Same one used by who, CDC whomever.. not saying one is right or another is wrong.

Now they post headlines : Cases top 1.3 mil, with 80K death in USA.

Then they post numbers by state. It's all nice and neat in columns, presumably by a computer or formula right?

WRONG.

I took the latest figures 1.3 blah blah blah.. and put them in excel formula.

I added what was ALREADY on the same chart (not a different chart, SAME chart) the breakdown. I do a copy and paste.

I put ALL the states (yes including District of Columbia which I know is not a state), stay with me..

I simply did a formula added what was already in nice neat column and did a sum.

To validate what I did. I am looking at ONE site. On that SAME site they have TOTAL figures for US, STATE and COUNTY.

I simply took the headline or sum of US cases :

Then I added EACH state and did a SUM of those: 1,346,766

Off by ~ 36K which in US is not a lot but why is it off AT ALL. The figures should be CALCULATED not simply manually entered, which is obviously what is going on. Wouldn't you take your OWN data, add it yourself and post the SUM of what you are posting? Is that so illogical?

WHY, WHY does it NOT add up to the same figure in the headline.. I know WHY sensationalism.. my question, why is no one calling them out on this. To me if you are off by 1 that is laziness because there is no effort to be truthful.

Do it for yourself. If you go to a web site presumable they don't do their own dirty work that would be asking too much. they just copy what one site does and post the numbers.

You take the SUM of the all the states does it match EXACTLY what they have in the same article for total US cases, deaths and 'recovered'. No it does not. It should. The ACTUAL figures (which if you follow this same logic) supposedly come from a state SUM. What if the cities inflate their numbers, pass those to county who inflate their numbers, pass them to state, and FED.. now you see the picture?!?

These numbers are hardly accurate and I submit inflated.. on purpose?!? maybe.

If I have a site and I have 4 different colors of masks for sale.

I put 50 masks for sale:

10 are blue
12 are red
8 black
and 2 white.

That's NOT 50 why state a figure unless you can verify it's accurate, masks for sale is not life or death but reporting illness in the middle of a pandemic numbers are CRUCIAL, literally life or death, so get it RIGHT!!!

Also what about recovered, surely we have lots of recovered people by now but 1.3 million cases outstanding, only 80K deaths. 220K recovered (again only certain states have recovered cases but they are not appearing on the results in the chart, why?!?). So take 80k from 1.3 million and 220K confirmed recovered we are missing 1 million people status, doesn't that strike anyone as peculiar?!?

my point is if you are stupid enough to post a chart proclaiming the 'report of figures' wouldn't you at LEAST fact check your info to see that it matches what is ALREADY there? They THINK we are not paying attention and as the age old question that always lingers when we are not sure..

'If they are lying about this.... what ELSE are they lying about'.

They don't want people to get upset but THEN they think we are dumb idiots with not way to check their math. You can't post something and ASSUME it's correct need to validate it FIRST!
Welcome and an excellent first post! That's what I've been saying for months, the numbers are being inflated to keep fear levels up and the lockdowns in place. I know my state of Arizona is manually going through recent death records and RECLASSIFYING cause of death as CV19.

Someone sent in a mango and it tested positive for C-19 ... some impoverished third world nation ...

I don't think we'll every know how many cases within 100,000 ... or deaths within 10,000 ... the CDC has a method for the seasonal flu, I assume they'll use this same method for SARS ... a year or two to get it all sorted out ... if we want scientifically accurate numbers, we'll have to let science take its own sweet time doing so ...

Forum List

Back