why is government making it difficult to work?

If the people being hired are ok with it, then why should the state care?

Uber and Lyft drivers press lawmakers to address long-standing labor complaints - Minnesota Reformer

Whipsawed by shrinking fares and rising costs, Uber and Lyft drivers are pressing lawmakers to force the companies to address their long-standing complaints of meager wages, unsafe working conditions and a lack of transparency.

Drivers say the companies continue to gobble up more of each fare — more than 60% by their estimates — even as they bear the burden of rising prices for gas, cars and insurance. Drivers also complain the companies have unfairly terminated drivers and done little to protect them from dangerous passengers.

“Drivers are at a breaking point,” said Eid Ali, president of the newly formed Minnesota Uber/Lyft Driver Association, during a Thursday news conference at the state Capitol.

The drivers were joined by supportive Democratic lawmakers, including U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar. She praised President Joe Biden for his Labor Department’s proposed new rule that would extend federal worker protections to so-called gig workers. That proposal is currently in a 45-day public comment period.

Uber, Lyft and other popular apps like DoorDash classify their workers as “independent contractors” rather than employees, which exempts the companies from having to pay a minimum wage, overtime, Social Security, unemployment insurance and workers’ compensation.

Our society would be a lot better off if it were hard for people not to work.

If everyone had to work, had to be responsible for themselves, had to pay their own bills, had to take care of themselves and so on we would all be better off. People need a purpose in life. I believe people are at their best when they work.

If you don't make people work and be responsible for themselves they get lazy and bored and when they get lazy and bored they turn into shitty people.

Uber and Lyft drivers press lawmakers to address long-standing labor complaints - Minnesota Reformer

Whipsawed by shrinking fares and rising costs, Uber and Lyft drivers are pressing lawmakers to force the companies to address their long-standing complaints of meager wages, unsafe working conditions and a lack of transparency.

Drivers say the companies continue to gobble up more of each fare — more than 60% by their estimates — even as they bear the burden of rising prices for gas, cars and insurance. Drivers also complain the companies have unfairly terminated drivers and done little to protect them from dangerous passengers.

“Drivers are at a breaking point,” said Eid Ali, president of the newly formed Minnesota Uber/Lyft Driver Association, during a Thursday news conference at the state Capitol.

The drivers were joined by supportive Democratic lawmakers, including U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar. She praised President Joe Biden for his Labor Department’s proposed new rule that would extend federal worker protections to so-called gig workers. That proposal is currently in a 45-day public comment period.

Uber, Lyft and other popular apps like DoorDash classify their workers as “independent contractors” rather than employees, which exempts the companies from having to pay a minimum wage, overtime, Social Security, unemployment insurance and workers’ compensation.

Then the drivers need to band together and refuse to do the work, the companies would then change their ways or go out of business.

Then the drivers need to band together and refuse to do the work, the companies would then change their ways or go out of business.

Or they can choose to continue paying their bills while trying to enact change.

Or they can choose to continue paying their bills while trying to enact change.

Or they can have the Govt do it for them, which seems to always be the preferred way. Totally ignores those that like the arrangement.

My BIL has been an independent contractor for 20 years since ATT laid off his entire department. On Friday he worked for ATT, on Monday he was doing the same job for a contractor (who was his boss at ATT on Friday).

If you people had your way this would be illegal.

Or they can have the Govt do it for them, which seems to always be the preferred way. Totally ignores those that like the arrangement.

My BIL has been an independent contractor for 20 years since ATT laid off his entire department. On Friday he worked for ATT, on Monday he was doing the same job for a contractor (who was his boss at ATT on Friday).

If you people had your way this would be illegal.

You people? I'm explaining what is going on. Pretending it's not changes what?

You people? I'm explaining what is going on. Pretending it's not changes what?

You are supporting the Govt stepping in and telling people they are not allowed to be independent contractors if they choose to be

You are supporting the Govt stepping in and telling people they are not allowed to be independent contractors if they choose to be

I stated what this is all about. Will I side with employee's over employers in most cases? Probably.

Did I state something that is wrong?

I stated what this is all about. Will I side with employee's over employers in most cases? Probably.

Did I state something that is wrong?

Wrong is in the eye of the beholder. You think it is the Govt's job to tell people they are not allowed to be independent contractors, I disagree it is their job.

It is all a matter of how one views the Govt

Here is the latest in a long list of government actions making it more difficult for Joe Average to support a family.

This particular one comes out of CA, where the governor Newsom signed into law a bill that basically says truckers can't be independent contractors.

Think about that. How many owner-operators do you know? How many do you see when you're driving on the freeway?

All these people, now have to sell their rigs, and go to work for one of the majors. And driving a truck involves security checks and DMV clearances and all kinds of other time consuming stuff.

There are many.other examples. In engineering, the IRS has made it virtually impossible to be a freelance contractor ("consultant") any more.

As a right leaning libertarian, my attitude is "work or starve". But it should be EASY to get a job. There is plenty of work that needs doing. Anyone and everyone should be able to.pick.up the phone, and be working the next day. Even if it's only stuffing envelopes at minimum wage.

In the 60's I used to walk down the street with a pile of resumes, it never took me more than ONE DAY to find work. Today, no one will even talk to you until AFTER you've applied online (which takes half a day), and passed the security check (which takes another day), and then finally you get the in person interview which takes another day.

And the REASON for all this?

Government regulations!

It's actually very hard to hire someone as an employee, now.

You can't even do temp work anymore, you have to be an employee of the temp company, which means you ain't gonna be working for a week. In NY in the 80's I used to be able to walk into a temp place at 6am and be working that same day. Not any more.

The labor market is being over-regulated.
In their never ending fight against businesses, the left seem to have no clue how all of their policies make things worse, not better. You forgot about this:

Forum List

Back