Why is CA broke? Anchor Babies?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Los Angeles County, the nation’s most populous, may be in the midst of a dire financial crisis but somehow there are plenty of funds for illegal aliens. In January alone, anchor babies born to the county’s illegal immigrants collected more than $50 million in welfare benefits. At that rate the cash-strapped county will pay around $600 million this year to provide illegal aliens’ offspring with food stamps and other welfare perks.

The exorbitant figure, revealed this week by a county supervisor, doesn’t even include the enormous cost of educating, medically treating or incarcerating illegal aliens in the sprawling county of about 10 million residents. Los Angeles County annually spends more than $1 billion for those combined services, including $500 million for healthcare and $350 million for public safety.

About a quarter of the county’s welfare and food stamp issuances go to parents who reside in the United States illegally and collect benefits for their anchor babies, according to the figures from the county’s Department of Social Services. In 2009 the tab ran $570 million and this year’s figure is expected to increase by several million dollars.

County Spends $600 Mil On Welfare For Illegal Immigrants | Judicial Watch

Too many liberals with dumb ass ideas.

That's my take on it, too. People seem to scream for more and more services and are unwilling to give up any of the frivolous governmental perks they've become so used to. And the illegal alien support is a great contributor to the financial losses.

While it's true California pays more than any other state for the children of illegal immigrants, the numbers Antonovich uses only focus on the cost for one year, said Edward Schumacher-Matos, director of the Harvard Inter-Faculty Initiative on Immigration and Integration Policy and Studies.

Over the course of their lifetimes, illegal immigrants and their children ultimately provide a financial benefit to the state, he said.

"Yeah, there's a fiscal cost, but what those numbers don't tell you is how much these people contribute over their lifetime," Schumacher-Matos said, "how investing in these children is investing in the future of the economy."

Illegal immigrants pay taxes that generate revenue for the state, Schumacher-Matos said. The federal government also pays some of the costs for California's social welfare programs, he said.

Illegal immigrants paid about $280 million in state income tax last year, according to a USC immigration report.

"It's a complex picture," Schumacher-Matos conceded.
The Signal - Santa Clarita Valley News - Numbers only part of illegal immigrants story

'Then why is Arizona not broke? New Mexico? Texas?'

FYI - AZ IS broke! As for NM, illegals don't much like it as a place to settle - no jobs and is quite a backward place to live in. People in NM do NOT like change and strive to keep it as it has been since its inception. Now Texas is a different story - it could be cause it's its OWN country - LOL!

Illegal immigrants paid about $280 million in state income tax last year, according to a USC immigration report.
In January alone, anchor babies born to the county’s illegal immigrants collected more than $50 million in welfare benefits.
Drop in the bucket Ravi.
If they paid state income tax they also paid federal income tax. And...they paid state sales tax. IMO, they are more than likely paying in more than is paid out.

I also don't think punishing American children is the way to go as you and so many others seem to support.

The Excessive Pay, Benefits, and Pensions for (not needed) Public Employees dwarf what is being spent on illegal immigrant.

Just sayin'.

American public employees have every right to these perks! The key word here is - ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT. If you have proof that illegals are collecting excessive pay, benefits, pensions (not needed) as public employees, it's YOUR responsibility to report them. Otherwise, spare me your crap - just sayin'.

No. American Public Employees do not have the right to retire with pensions of 90% of their salary in their early 50s from bureaucratic desk jobs when the private sector can't retire until 67 with full SS benefits (which are much much much smaller than that 90% of salary). They especially do not deserve it when the government is running a deficit and cutting services just to cover pension payments.

Last edited:
Don't you think though that california's economy would be HALF of what it is IF it were not for their illegals....the migrants are california's backbone to their agriculture business, the largest in the nation.

the gvt may not be getting rich off of them, but someone is.....and that someone is getting the State to pay for their productive worker's benefits....

Then why is Arizona not broke? New Mexico? Texas?

Other than that, great thread. :)

the county i live in has almost as many people as your state.....it has more than New Mexico...with an estimated 3 to 3.5 million illegals here that is what.....2 mill less than your whole states population....mas putos.....

In January alone, anchor babies born to the county’s illegal immigrants collected more than $50 million in welfare benefits.
Drop in the bucket Ravi.
If they paid state income tax they also paid federal income tax. And...they paid state sales tax. IMO, they are more than likely paying in more than is paid out.

I also don't think punishing American children is the way to go as you and so many others seem to support.

you cant pay taxes if you dont have a SS no.....a legal one anyway....the state taxes he is talking about are sales taxes.....i know enough of these guys to know that the reason they are here is like one told me...."would you want to be down there with all drug violence and corruption?....try seeing 6-7 heads a week sitting on fence posts....i am divided on these people,the ones i know are good people,but they also tell me that there are many pendejo's among them....these are the ones that need to go....NOW....

No. American Public Employees do not have the right to retire with pensions of 90% of their salary in their early 50s from bureaucratic desk jobs when the private sector can't retire until 67 with full SS benefits (which are much much much smaller than that 90% of salary). They especially do not deserve it when the government is running a deficit and cutting services just to cover pension payments.

i work for the PO Boe....and i aint going to get no 90%.....if that was so i would already be gone.....

Don't you think though that california's economy would be HALF of what it is IF it were not for their illegals....the migrants are california's backbone to their agriculture business, the largest in the nation.

the gvt may not be getting rich off of them, but someone is.....and that someone is getting the State to pay for their productive worker's benefits....

Care...migrant workers have always been here.....they have a different status...a late friend of mine had family who did this....they were like a "band"....traveled from Central Mexico up to Central California picking whatever there was to pick,they followed the crops and what was ready to be harvested.....he said they had special workers permits,and stayed until the crop was in and then went to the next place...and mind you i am not saying they did not hire some of their ILLEGAL fellows to help,they did probably all the time.....

Last edited:
Too many liberals with dumb ass ideas.

You keep telling yourself that, limited thinker. We'll all be over here addressing the real reasons.

Too many people, not enough resources, too much credit debt, zero oversight of pump and dump practice of corporate shares in an age of dwindling energy.

Last edited:

Care...migrant workers have always been here.....they have a different status...a late friend of mine had family who did this....they were like a "band"....traveled from Central Mexico up to Central California picking whatever there was to pick,they followed the crops and what was ready to be harvested.....he said they had special workers permits,and stayed until the crop was in and then went to the next place...and mind you i am not saying they did not hire some of their ILLEGAL fellows to help,they did probably all the time.....

would you guess that MOST ALL of the illegals in cali are working?

Forum List

Back