CDZ Why is Americanization bad???

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
Viscerally, I think that the Americanization of the World is something that is undesirable.
That being said though, isn't it desirable to have a stronger, more diversified economy, larger global influence, a strong scientific/technology community, etc.? Outside of our health care system, why is "Americanization" used as a pejorative?
I'm trying to think of concrete reasons but couldn't think of many.

It sounds imperialistic, which it is. Also boosterism is for losers. Why would we want other countries to be like us since we are already the 800 lb. gorilla? Do we want effective competition?

I of course have nothing against freedom and democracy, but I do take exception to American branding in foreign countries. McDonald's, KFC, etc...

Imagine what could become of Cuba if it had freedoms and democracy, without the bling.

Viscerally, I think that the Americanization of the World is something that is undesirable.
That being said though, isn't it desirable to have a stronger, more diversified economy, larger global influence, a strong scientific/technology community, etc.? Outside of our health care system, why is "Americanization" used as a pejorative?
It's bad because people are constantly confusing their issues with our own. I cannot tell you how many times Europeans for example will un-ironically cite American stats on crime, or wealth disparity, without understanding what a different situation we are in.
Everyone in the world is becoming more westernized.

It's a universal pejorative that characterizes Americans as short sighted, superficial, and materialistic.....with some justification.

Depends on ones definition seems to me. If by Americanization one is only speaking of economic issues, branding........whatever, then I can understand why some would not want such. However, if one is speaking of freedoms like Speech, Press, and Religion, then I don't see how that is a bad thing. I believe all human beings who live in a suppressed society yearn for freedom, and they should have it. Not implying that America MUST roam the world and force freedom on others, these folks should stand up and fight for their freedoms. If having certain freedoms means one is "Westernized," then isn't that a good thing?

Is that what you think is happening?

Americanization now stands for excessive commercialization, sexualization and political correctness. Not a good prescription for any society.

Much of what is so loosely referred to in terms similar to "Americanization" really is not. There have been many trends, novelties, products, etc. that are in actuality mere technological evolution and modern possibilities that found their debut in the US. Due to many things, including highly developed information dissemination, these things spread rapidly around the world. It took no special effort on the part of America and is certainly not some plot.
It should also be pointed out that much of this 'Americanization' could not possibly be more democratic. No one has ever been forced to wear jeans, baseball caps (especially in the idiotic reverse fashion), drink 'coke, eat McD., watch Dallas, listen to R&R or use the Internet. This has all been totally voluntary, and in some cases even against the will of governments and cultural 'leaders'.

Americanization now stands for excessive commercialization, sexualization and political correctness. Not a good prescription for any society.
Bingo, and you beat me to it, dammit.

Like any country, we're a mixed bag. We also have many here who are more interested in highlighting our weaknesses, for whatever reason, which makes things somewhat worse.

My guess is that capitalism, or "Americanization" has been too successful. These people carry a guilt for that. Rather than inspiring (but not forcing) other countries to follow our lead, these people would rather bring us down to the level of others. These people have the same approach within the country as well.

Commercialization, sexualization, PC? Yep, three nasty exports of ours, can't blame people for resenting that.

Capitalism is much older than the US. If anything, the 'capitalismation' of the world is a European accomplishment. That everyone has copied it shows its flexibility. That everyone has problems with it shows its inherent limitations.

Consumer society, I'd mark it as the most negative result of the American capitalistic system.

Forum List

Back