Why I will never buy an Electric vehicle. Stats show many Americans still prefer Gas powered cars.

Why I will never buy an Electric vehicle. Stats show many Americans still prefer Gas powered cars.

I liked this one a lot more when it was called 'Why I will never buy an energy-saving lightbulb. Stats show many Americans still prefer incandescent bulbs'.

Oh, Sarah!

I bet at one time people still preferred candles to light bulbs and horses to cars.

1. Where does the power come from to recharge EVs?

2. If you recharge at home, where does that power come from? Won't that increase my electric bill quite a bit?

3. EVs start with great gas mileage, but over time the distance you get per charge declines. How long before it becomes unusable?

4. The batteries in an EV is pretty big, what're you planning on doing with the old ones? What's the cost of a new battery? How much extra am I going to pay now for that eventual replacement? What happens if the car ides in the middle of a blizzard or there is a massive traffic tie-up and I'm stuck for hours with a dead battery?

5. There are quite a few low-income people that use their gas-powered car/truck in their business. Let me know when the price of EV cars and trucks is low enough so they can afford one. Are we going to put them all out of business if they can't afford to buy an EV? Are we going to require everybody who doesn't have or need one to help finance someone else's new EV car/truck?

1. Where does the power come from to recharge EVs?
From the great unlimited lumineferous ether from the cosmos and Beyond. :smoke:

2. If you recharge at home, where does that power come from? Won't that increase my electric bill quite a bit?
It will increase your electric HUGELY. Everyone knows that electric appliances are more costly to operate than NG, oil, or any other means because the energy source must be far more relined.

3. EVs start with great gas mileage, but over time the distance you get per charge declines. How long before it becomes unusable?
I give them 2-3 years before you can measure the difference, 5 years before the decline is significant and 10 years before you want to chuck this costly lemon and stick someone else with the massive cost of a new battery--- just about the time when used ICE cars are still in great shape and looking like new can be had for a song.

4. The batteries in an EV is pretty big, what're you planning on doing with the old ones?
The battery is the single largest cargo, more so than the passengers. The environment regulations on recycling old batteries or getting refurbished ones is going to be staggering. After all, can't harm the planet, climate or environment in any way! Must please all the environmentalists! After all, this is why you bought into the whole EV shtick!

What happens if the car ides in the middle of a blizzard or there is a massive traffic tie-up and I'm stuck for hours with a dead battery?
You're fucked. Just like when your state asks you to refrain from charging your car due to demands upon the already taxed grid. BTW, ever get an estimate on what it will cost to rebuild the grid to support electric everything? Just think: ONE utility can go down now and EVERYTHING will come to a halt. You won't even be able to go out and drive to work, get food or go stay with friends who have power.

5. There are quite a few low-income people that use their gas-powered car/truck in their business. Let me know when the price of EV cars and trucks is low enough so they can afford one. Are we going to put them all out of business if they can't afford to buy an EV?
Yes. They are willing to put you out of work for just not having a vaccine card, do you really think they care about low income people or their small business?

One of the main reasons I will never go for an Electric vehicle, certain parts of Africa will never have charging stations.
There is no power grid system in many African nations. Also the charging time to charge the Electric vehicle takes to long. Flex fuel blends. Ethanol , and gasoline engines sounds like a better way to go for the future. Your thoughts.And yes I know that Oil is not going to last forever. Ethanol engines when that day comes. Renewable Ethanol.

I can easily see a solid likelihood that when/if certain issues are ever overcome having to do with batteries—with their capacity, charging rate, cost, durability, and such—that electric vehicles will eventually become practical for general use, the degree that vehicles that use internal combustion engines will become solidly obsolete. If that point is reached, I could easily see myself being completely on board with ditching the internal combustion engine, and switching exclusively to electric vehicles.

But at my age, I have little confidence that I will live to see that point being reached.

I liked this one a lot more when it was called 'Why I will never buy an energy-saving lightbulb. Stats show many Americans still prefer incandescent bulbs'.

Oh, Sarah!
You had to because tungsten filament bulbs were outlawed. The energy saving bulbs were dreadful,just like EV's in a way, then LED's came along and saved the day.

Realistically, batteries are the equivalent to energy saving bulbs, and something like super capacitors will advance further to totally replace them. Then people will buy those cars because you'll be able to charge them in a minute or two and not burst into flames.

Speaking of gas mileage I wonder when my LAV-25 is going to arrive?

Funny thing, since I received a big inheritance, and have ordered a difficult-to-get vehicle on which to spend a good chunk of it, it seems the Internet is shoving all sorts of other vehicles at me, as if to try to induce me to buy one of them instead. None of these other vehicles are nearly as practical for my needs as the one that I have on order, but in various impractical ways, they have quite a bit of appeal to me.

Among them, the Russian ZiL-130 truck. Just yesterday, for the umpteenth time, my wife and I were watching the Nightwatch/Daywatch pair of movies, and as the good guys are shown driving around in these trucks, I could not restrain myself from saying to my wife, “I want one of those trucks!” Of course, the movie pair shows these trucks performing in ways that I know are well beyond the actual Real-World capability of the ZiL-130.

I would buy an electric in a heartbeat, if the price was reasonable and battery mileage/life was high enough.

In China, new data shows the country's EV market continues to go gangbusters. Sales, which skyrocked by 154% last year to 3.3 million, are forecast to almost double again this year. EVs are also seen as smarter than ICE cars, offering features from autonomous driving to in-car karaoke.

Since last July, a little-known automaker in China’s southwest has dominated the world’s largest electric car market, outselling bigger players and even Tesla Inc. almost every month with a tiny, bare-bones EV that starts at just $4,500.

1642696823528.png

In-car karaoke? Whoa! Sign me up for that, and $4500? I can live with that. Wonder if it'll run on 4 "D" batteries, it ain't that big but hell, it's okay for going to work, right?

In-car karaoke? Whoa! Sign me up for that, and $4500? I can live with that. Wonder if it'll run on 4 "D" batteries, it ain't that big but hell, it's okay for going to work, right?

Depends on your job, I suppose. If you have a charger at home (But if you could afford a Charger, why would you even think of some electric subcompact piece of shit?) and one at work, and the distance between the two places was well within the vehicle's range, it could work.

Not for me. I'm a construction worker. No charger at my apartment, no charger at a place that is still being built, and my workplace could be as far as eighty miles or so from home. And with that long a commute, when am I supposed to have time to stop and spend several hours each day at a public charging station waiting for my car to recharge? And how am I supposed to cram all my tools into that pathetic excuse for a vehicle?

Depends on your job, I suppose. If you have a charger at home (But if you could afford a Charger, why would you even think of some electric subcompact piece of shit?) and one at work, and the distance between the two places was well within the vehicle's range, it could work.

Not for me. I'm a construction worker. No charger at my apartment, no charger at a place that is still being built, and my workplace could be as far as eighty miles or so from home. And with that long a commute, when am I supposed to have time to stop and spend several hours each day at a public charging station waiting for my car to recharge? And how am I supposed to cram all my tools into that pathetic excuse for a vehicle?

You're right, this little thing is not for everyone. Guys like you need a gas or diesel truck, especially in cold weather. A lot of self-employed people can't use a small EV, I get that.

You are in EXACTLY same job and boat as me. Job, accommodation, commuting, where to charge, size of vehicle etc.. all exactly the same as me, hence why I wouldn't buy a battery EV.

You are in EXACTLY same job and boat as me. Job, accommodation, commuting, where to charge, size of vehicle etc.. all exactly the same as me, hence why I wouldn't buy a battery EV.

Not a boat.

Currently a compact/mid sedan. Calls itself a 2016 Dodge Dart, but it's really some bizarre sort of Alfa Romeo/FIAT/Mercedes Benz/Hyundai/Chrysler mongrel.

Waiting for a Ford Bronco that I ordered in October. Dealer estimated at the time I placed my order, that it'll probably arrive some time around June.

One of the main reasons I will never go for an Electric vehicle, certain parts of Africa will never have charging stations.
There is no power grid system in many African nations. Also the charging time to charge the Electric vehicle takes to long. Flex fuel blends. Ethanol , and gasoline engines sounds like a better way to go for the future. Your thoughts.And yes I know that Oil is not going to last forever. Ethanol engines when that day comes. Renewable Ethanol.
well when gas gets around $10.00 a gallon you might change your mind. Besides after 2030 they won't make gas-powered anything.

well when gas gets around $10.00 a gallon you might change your mind. Besides after 2030 they won't make gas-powered anything.
Don't forget Einstein, as the tax income reduces from diesel and petrol, the gullible in battery cars will get taxed per mile.

Not a boat.

Currently a compact/mid sedan. Calls itself a 2016 Dodge Dart, but it's really some bizarre sort of Alfa Romeo/FIAT/Mercedes Benz/Hyundai/Chrysler mongrel.

Waiting for a Ford Bronco that I ordered in October. Dealer estimated at the time I placed my order, that it'll probably arrive some time around June.
In the same boat is an idiom.

In the same boat is an idiom.

You sort of missed the boat on that one. In the US very large cars are considered 'boats'. The car he's talking about isn't that large. Although your idiom is also appropriate. Just little language differences.

You sort of missed the boat on that one. In the US very large cars are considered 'boats'. The car he's talking about isn't that large. Although your idiom is also appropriate. Just little language differences.
Ah, it is quite weird in America because the liquid you put in a car is gas.

But yes, in the same boat was the idiom version.

Ah, it is quite weird in America because the liquid you put in a car is gas.

But yes, in the same boat was the idiom version.
It derives from the handling of old cars. They were massive but top end suspension systems made them feel like handling a boat. Large cars are still called boats even though the suspension systems have changed.

The technology for hydrogen fueled engines has been around since the 1970's.
That means it runs on water.

Although Hydrogen Peroxide is super cheap, and would keep your engine clean and sanitary.
LOL
The store price of a bottle of hydrogen peroxide has doubled lately. I bought bottles of it for use in the bathrooms a few years back, and it was like 2 for a dollar. Last week, I was going to buy a replacement quart (same size) and the price was $2.50 each. I realize that isn't much money to some people, but to me, I thought "same equipment, water is the same, what is going on?" All I could come up with was "greed." Maybe I'm not understanding something important about the process... But then, I'm for sure not a chemical engineer. I am a price-sensitive consumer, though.

Edit: oh yes, $2.50/$.50 = 500%, doesn't it? This balderdash of Biden defending his "low inflation" claims must be all about 2 or 3 products that haven't been discovered by us to go through the roof.

Numbers don't lie, but Democrats do.

Last edited:
The store price of a bottle of hydrogen peroxide has doubled lately. I bought bottles of it for use in the bathrooms a few years back, and it was like 2 for a dollar. Last week, I was going to buy a replacement quart (same size) and the price was $2.50 each. I realize that isn't much money to some people, but to me, I thought "same equipment, water is the same, what is going on?" All I could come up with was "greed." Maybe I'm not understanding something important about the process... But then, I'm for sure not a chemical engineer. I am a price-sensitive consumer, though.

Edit: oh yes, $2.50/$.50 = 500%, doesn't it? This balderdash of Biden defending his "low inflation" claims must be all about 2 or 3 products that haven't been discovered by us to go through the roof.

Numbers don't lie, but Democrats do.

If the price was $2.50 and it went up to $2.50...that isn't a 500% increase.... That is a 25% increase ($0.50 is 1/4 of $2.00).

Forum List

Back