Why I no longer support the death penalty.

I think differently at 74 than I did at 24. Consequently, I no longer agree with the death penalty. I have been thinking about it lately because of attempts to reinstate it for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of the brothers convicted for the Boston Marathon bombings in 2013. There is no question that there are bad people in this world that do awful things but there is no evidence that capital punishment dissuades them from committing terrible acts. In addition, some of the most dangerous and destructive people in this world never face the death penalty or even prison. Anthony Fauci had a hand in more deaths and suffering than some of the worst mass murdering dictators in human history, yet he faces no firing squad like Private Eddie Slovik that paid a price as an example to save the country from military deserters at the end of World War Two.

Did capital punishment stop spying and treason like that of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg? A plume of blue smoke rose from Ethel’s head as her eyeballs exploded in the electric chair in 1953, but people are still spying and giving away state secrets to this day. Hopeless life sentences for the dangerous in society are preferable to my thinking these days. I live in New Hampshire and recall the Pamela Smart case where she recruited young killers with low IQs to murder her husband. She keeps begging for parole but unless society goes completely out of its head, she will never get it. Leslie Van Houten, one of the infamous Manson murderers, is in a similar dilemma. She is stuck in lifetime punishment and while she continues to breath; she will never see freedom.

The death penalty in America today has propensity to use the state to kill the stupid and poor more than the evil. For that reason, I see capital punishment as a Eugenic tool to wipe out the weak-minded, economically indigent, and poorly represented. Prison is no picnic, and it is a good place for those that attack society’s innocence. Death? Well, that is an escape; it is a short-term feel-good solution that does nothing to solve anything.

Th death penalty does have purpose though; it is used by the real evil in society to silence those who are caught and might implicate others as stool pigeons. The FBI had to off Whitey Bulger for what he knew about the bureau and of course the perversions of highly placed political actors could not be allowed to become exposed when Jeffrey Epstein began to sing.

Therefore, I no longer support capital punishment.
Anthony Fauci???

You idiot. The best you can hope for is you don't leave us soon.

It isn't barbaric it's justice.
Killing is barbaric, so are executions in retaliation
Most of the world has moved beyond eye for an eye justice.

Our executions do not prevent us from having one of the highest murder rates in the world

I don't have an issue with capital punishment so much as I do with the courts.

IMO the standard has to be higher than merely beyond reasonable doubt.

If a life is to be taken then the standard should be beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Do you believe the US court system is infallible, or are you OK with executing innocent people? It is one or the other, which is it?

Why would executing someone innocent after 20 years be any worse than locking them up for 50 and letting them die in jail?

Killing is barbaric, so are executions in retaliation
Most of the world has moved beyond eye for an eye justice.

Our executions do not prevent us from having one of the highest murder rates in the world

And most of the world are criminal coddling wussies.

Deflection. Again: Do you believe the US court system is infallible, or are you OK with executing innocent people?

Not a deflection, if you expect 100% accuracy from the justice system, why have one in the first place?

For an innocent person what is the difference dying in 20 from an injection vs. dying in 50 in your cell?

Because the death penalty is inherently unjust, I oppose it. Innocent are on death row and have been executed. Every minute of every day they know they will be killed for something they did not do. It is unjust in that the poor and racial minorities are far ore likely to get it.

Why would executing someone innocent after 20 years be any worse than locking them up for 50 and letting them die in jail?
If you were an innocent person on death row, what would you prefer? If it is execution you can quit appealing and go for but don't to answer for anyone else.

Because the death penalty is inherently unjust, I oppose it. Innocent are on death row and have been executed. Every minute of every day they know they will be killed for something they did not do. It is unjust in that the poor and racial minorities are far ore likely to get it.
It is not just the poor but the low IQ with a child like mentality

Whatever happened to "It's better to let 10 guilty men free than to imprison one innocent man"?

That's the reason you have an appeals process, and the weight of the burden of proof being on the State and the prosecutors.

The real question is it better to let all guilty men go free if it means imprisoning 1 innocent man.

I am/was in double mind about the death penalty.

but

Sometimes the crimes committed are so horrendous...so absolutely abhorrent.....that I agree with the death penalty for those who has been proved without doubt did the crimes.

If you were an innocent person on death row, what would you prefer? If it is execution you can quit appealing and go for but don't to answer for anyone else.

I would hate both, but the ironic thing is that if I was on Death Row I'd have a better chance of someone figuring out I was innocent.

No one really gives a rats ass about the people convicted to life without parole unless they are some woke celebrity.

The FBI had to off Whitey Bulger for what he knew about the bureau and of course the perversions of highly placed political actors could not be allowed to become exposed when Jeffrey Epstein began to sing.

Therefore, I no longer support capital punishment.
And that's why they executed Jeffery Epstein in jail.
For that reason, I see capital punishment as a Eugenic tool to wipe out the weak-minded, economically indigent, and poorly represented
Sure. By the time all that perversion of law and due process works itself out to an abomination and miscarriage of justice.
I do not believe anyone has the right to take the life of another outside of direct self defense.
Then, collectively, that becomes the right of waging war to defend our country from foreign invasion, organized crime, and oppressive government.
Wasting away in prison is far worse punishment than being executed.
Some crimes deserve the ultimate punishment, not 3 hots and a cot.
In theory yes, certainly, but some of the most hideous crimes leave their victims in a state of existence much, much worse than a quick and merciful death, and these are not the crimes punished by death.

Forum List

Back