Why I became a Republican...

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
I was once a Democrat. I actually registered voters for the Democrat party (paid BTW as all parties do). I voted for Bill in 92. I started loosing faith when his first order was to over turn the 24 hour waiting period for abortions. Then came the over turn of power in the house in 94. They started making change. One of the things they changed was the Free Lunch program through our schools. They closed down the federal office that ran it. They passed the money directly down to the states, with no shoe strings attached to get it. The Democrats had children marching on the floor holding empty lunch trays, chanting 'don't take our food'. My oldest happened to be on Reduced Lunch prior to the change. When the change happened, we got a letter saying that all Reduced Lunches are now Free Lunches. There was more money getting to where it was needed. I decided at that point to give up being a Democrat and registered with no party. I did a lot of reading up on the history of the Republican party. I learned that they are the ones that caused a lot of the great changes that needed to happen in our country. I registered as a Republican before the 96 elections. I'm now proud to call my self a Republican.

I was once a Republican. Now I consider myself to be an independent.

The party puts tax cuts over fiscal responsibility. Tax cuts are good, as long as there are spending cuts. Republicans don't cut spending. I'd rather have higher taxes if spending goes up because deficits erode the value of the dollar, which is just a tax increase in another form anyways.

Though most Republicans are not, there is too much tolerance and sometimes pandering to racist elements. That bothers me.

I am not an evangelical Christian, and the fundamentalists play too big a role in the party. BTW Intelligent Design is not "science" and shouldn't be taught as such.

Small-tent Republicans - and there seems to be a lot of those - brand people who don't agree with them RINOs. The witch hunt in the party to remove people from public office and replace them with more conservative - read "conservative", not libertarian - candidates annoys me.

I lean libertarian, not conservative, and conservatives are just as willing to use the power of big government to interfere in your personal lives as liberals.

The tactics of the Republican party disgusts and sickens me. Equating decorated war-hero and former Georgia senator Max Cleland with Osama bin Laden, as the Republicans did in 2002 is an example.

Too many shrill people in the Republican Party who are venerated by the base, i.e. Anne Coulter.

Talk radio is awful, and portrays conservatives in a bad light.

And the Bush administration is dreadful.

So I'm an independent for now.

I'm leaning towards Giuliani in the election.

I am for small government, and fiscal consevatism, im for a big , strong, military, im for closed borders, im for getting the government out of the red tape that harms many business.

Many years ago, I thought I was a Democrat. I applied for membership to my local Dem party, but they rejected my application

I passed the mental test

republicans, even allow gays into the party, now, can you tell me the democrats, would allow someone they might disagree with into their party, no freaking way.

Many years ago, I thought I was a Democrat. I applied for membership to my local Dem party, but they rejected my application

I passed the mental test

I was once a Democrat. I actually registered voters for the Democrat party (paid BTW as all parties do). I voted for Bill in 92. I started loosing faith when his first order was to over turn the 24 hour waiting period for abortions. Then came the over turn of power in the house in 94. They started making change. One of the things they changed was the Free Lunch program through our schools. They closed down the federal office that ran it. They passed the money directly down to the states, with no shoe strings attached to get it. The Democrats had children marching on the floor holding empty lunch trays, chanting 'don't take our food'. My oldest happened to be on Reduced Lunch prior to the change. When the change happened, we got a letter saying that all Reduced Lunches are now Free Lunches. There was more money getting to where it was needed. I decided at that point to give up being a Democrat and registered with no party. I did a lot of reading up on the history of the Republican party. I learned that they are the ones that caused a lot of the great changes that needed to happen in our country. I registered as a Republican before the 96 elections. I'm now proud to call my self a Republican.

I tend to be an independent.

I find politicians in general to be a rather distasteful bunch and don't really trust them to choose to do what is right for the country over what is right for their political carreers. When we have members of Congress who have been there longer than I have been alive, there is something wrong with our process for choosing the legislators of this nation.

agreed.

I tend to be an independent.

I find politicians in general to be a rather distasteful bunch and don't really trust them to choose to do what is right for the country over what is right for their political carreers. When we have members of Congress who have been there longer than I have been alive, there is something wrong with our process for choosing the legislators of this nation.

This is one big difference between Dems and Republicans - how we make our argument

RFK Jr on the low ratings of the Earth concerts and how global warming is not taken seriously

snip

Now you've heard today a lot of people say that there are many little things that you all can do today to avert climate change on your own. But I will tell you this, it is more important than buying compact flourescent light bulbs or than buying a fuel efficient automobile. The most important thing you can do is to get involved in the political process and get rid of all of these rotten politicians that we have in Washington D.C. -- who are nothing more than corporate toadies for companies like Exxon and Southern Company. These villainous companies that consistently put their private financial interest ahead of American interest and ahead of the interest of all of humanity. This is treason and we need to start treating them now as traitors.

And they have their slick public relations firms and their phony think tanks in Washington, D.C., and their crooked scientists who are lying to the American people day after day after day. And we have a press that has completely let down American democracy. That's giving us Anna Nicole Smith and Paris Hilton instead of the issues that we need to understand to make rational decisions in a democracy - like global warming.

And so I am going to tell you this, that the next time you see John Stossel or Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity --- these Flat Earthers, these corporate toadies, lying to you, lying to the American public, and telling you that global warming doesn't exist --- you send an email to their advertisers and tell them that you are not going to buy their products anymore.

http://newsbusters.org/node/13977

I was a Republican for a long time. I believed in small government and personal liberty. I still hold small government and personal liberty as my most important issues, however, I realized that the Republicans were spending too much on social programs, and too big government. Anyone who tells you the Republican Party still wants small government is a fool. They just want big government in different sectors than the Democrats do. To vote Republican is to vote for an expansion of the federal government. End of story.

I really dont see the difference between these two partys. Aside from the republicans wanting to flood the gates of government with evangelical bullshit. They love to exploit christians and everyone just eats it right up, its rather revolting.

But overall I really dont see a difference. When you vote, your not voting for change, your just voting for two people in charge of the same company. Its called "slavery incorporated". They both want YOUR money to go to programs that make them money. They just choose different clever ways of hiding it, like war, and tax cuts, and christianity.....etc

Despite the downfall of our government, which took place when the last of the founding fathers died. I will still love America because of a little thing called the "constitution" and the "bill of rights". Thats what keeps me here.

By the way IM an Independent. Who is leaning towards obama for next year. Republicans cant even unite their pary, let alone America.

And for gods sake "creationism" is not science. Christianity does not belong within 100 yards of any school. The bible is not the only source for morals, how about parents? Or perhaps common sense. I certainly didnt need the bible to teach me right from wrong.

I was a Republican for a long time. I believed in small government and personal liberty. I still hold small government and personal liberty as my most important issues, however, I realized that the Republicans were spending too much on social programs, and too big government. Anyone who tells you the Republican Party still wants small government is a fool. They just want big government in different sectors than the Democrats do. To vote Republican is to vote for an expansion of the federal government. End of story.

Just because the modern elected Republicans are crap doesn't mean I'm going to abandon my party. Take it back. It's our party. Demand better of them, don't abandon them. Don't let them define what the party is. I remain a Republican because of Teddy, Abe and Ronald.

No you flush your vote down the toilet by voting for third party candidates - who don't have a chance in hell of wiinning

And then spend your time whining how terrible things are

And insulting those who will not waste their vote in "protest"

Just because the modern elected Republicans are crap doesn't mean I'm going to abandon my party. Take it back. It's our party. Demand better of them, don't abandon them. Don't let them define what the party is. I remain a Republican because of Teddy, Abe and Ronald.

I lived through the Pres Peanut years, and I remember the conservative principals of Ronald Reagan

While they will never be another Ronald Reagan, I want my party to get back to the principals that brought America back friom the dismal leagacy of Pres Peanut and the Dems

The only way to do so is to loudly tell Republicans what we want and not to waste our time and votes, by tossing them in the trash can as some tell us to do

I have to laugh when libs say how rotten our economy is and then say how great Pres Peanut was

Under Pres Peanut, we had double digit inflation, double digit interest rates, and near double digit unemployment. Gas prices doubled nearly over night, terrorists held Americans hostgae for 444 days, and all Pres Peanut did nothing to solve the problems except tell Americans to be patient and wear a sweater to stay warm in their homes

Ronald Reagan came along and in eight years, turned the US economy around; and made Americans proud to be Americans. Like Pres Bush, he cut taxes, ignored the polls, and had to deal with a liberal media that was openly against him

While Pres Reagan did not have talk radio or the internet, he still won over the Dems

We need someone like him to lead our party and to take our party back

Oh I whole heartedly agree. I remember the Carter year. I remember my parents running out of gas waiting in line for gas. It was blocks long and it was our 'day' to get gas.

New Topics

Forum List

Back