Why I am a Christian

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2009
Georgia
I stuggle with my religon daily but recent events call my faith in:
Dad died and I am the only child with the capability to help Mom and do all of the work. I get my strength from my friends, wife, kids and God.
Just yesterday I returned again from Ft. Myers where Mom is. I was packing her things and helping give away to charity a lot of things. I flwe back late last night. My olderst son, age 23 has tickets Saturday to Braves game yet I need him to return with me to Fort Myers Sturday with a van toload upall of Mom's clothes and return Monday. At first he was alittle upset over missing the game with his friends Saturday but he wants to help his grandmother. Faith and confidence.
I heard a sermon Sunday that I totally disagreed with. I thought the analogy the preacher was making was absurd.
:eusa_angel:However, it does not change the fact that I am a follower of Christ. More so this moment than 1 minute ago.:eusa_angel:

I believe because the Lord revealed Himself to me and gave me a choice whether to listen to Him or not. I have found through personal experience life is much better when I listen when I don't.

troll comment removed-EZ

Married 33 years to the most beautifuL woman on earth. Still drop dead gorgeous at age 52. If you have not been to Georgia and seen the ladies here you need to visit.
Not a problem.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Married 33 years to the most beautifuL woman on earth. Still drop dead gorgeous at age 52. If you have not been to Georgia and seen the ladies here you need to visit.
Not a problem.

I have to say, I love that Southern Hospitality. The guy is rude to you and you still invite him to come see for himself.

I envy the certainty, sorry, I mean the comfort your religious beliefs give you. Unfortunately for me I can't put the blinkers on that allow you to ignore the reality of the universe we all exist in. Virgin birth, resurrection, burning bushes (lol if only), Jonah and the whale.:cuckoo:

Still, I do wish I could live the lie. It would make me so happy.

I believe in God. I am probably not the best Christian there is but I believe in what I believe. I don't believe every word in the Bible because some of it makes no sense to me but then again, I don't think we are meant to fully understand. Christians are not "perfect" people - Just forgiven.

I envy the certainty, sorry, I mean the comfort your religious beliefs give you. Unfortunately for me I can't put the blinkers on that allow you to ignore the reality of the universe we all exist in. Virgin birth, resurrection, burning bushes (lol if only), Jonah and the whale.:cuckoo:

What is so difficult to believe with the Virgin Birth? Scientists could recreate it in a labratory, yet an all knowing God can't do it?

I'm sure I could go on about the other stuff. But I don't think that really addresses your actual point.

I don't put blinkers on to ignore reality. Quite the opposite. I see it so much more clearly since I've learned the truth. The only difference between you and me is we have had different experiences.

But the beauty of the Plan of Happiness is that you can know for yourself. Everyone can. But the key is to seek the knowledge from a Higher source than just our reason.

How did Peter Learn that Jesus was the Messiah? It wasn't because someone proved it to him through physical evidence.

13 ¶ When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 16:13-17)

We can know from God whether He exists or not. It's only through His grace that I learned it for myself. That's the only way anyone can learn it. And once you know it, you aren't putting blinkers up, you see clearly. It truly is amazing and humbling to get a glimpse of what God can reveal to you. If you think alot of knowledge exists in the world now? You haven't seen anything yet. The Dispensation of the Fulness of God will have God revealing things not even dreamt of since the beginning of the World. Even things we haven't imagined.

It's a marvelous day to live in.

I believe in God. I am probably not the best Christian there is but I believe in what I believe. I don't believe every word in the Bible because some of it makes no sense to me but then again, I don't think we are meant to fully understand. Christians are not "perfect" people - Just forgiven.

I think God wants us to know as much as we are capable of knowing. But sin keeps us back from a lot of knowledge that would be otherwise available to us.

I am 1 that does not hold my religous beliefs on my sleeve but am happy at any time to share my experiences. I belong to a non denominational church that has an open door policy. We allow gays, straights, whatever and do not judge. Not saying we are right but that is what we do. We have open discussion on the Bible in many ways and respect all.
Doctrine is not our forte. The living earth and God and Jesus is my practice.
I do believe and have faith. Dissect the Bible and weigh each story? Yes but I try each day to be more Christlike in my path. I am not there and maybe will never get there but I am trying.

I'm a Christian because I can do whatever I want in life then repent on my deathbed and get into heaven.

That's why Christianity is so awesome!
Nowhere does it say that in the Bible. Could it be that you have been misinformed?

I am 1 that does not hold my religous beliefs on my sleeve but am happy at any time to share my experiences. I belong to a non denominational church that has an open door policy. We allow gays, straights, whatever and do not judge. Not saying we are right but that is what we do. We have open discussion on the Bible in many ways and respect all.
Doctrine is not our forte. The living earth and God and Jesus is my practice.
I do believe and have faith. Dissect the Bible and weigh each story? Yes but I try each day to be more Christlike in my path. I am not there and maybe will never get there but I am trying.

It sounds like you are on the right path.

I'm a Christian because I can do whatever I want in life then repent on my deathbed and get into heaven.

True, but what if there is no death bead between now and the point when you breath your last breath? If you truly believe Jesus is Lord why not accept the gift now? Why wait to be set free?

That's why I every so often repent on my sleepbed.

Plus, I'm a pretty boring guy and don't do a lot of sinning.

Nowhere does it say that in the Bible. Could it be that you have been misinformed?

Yeah it does say that, Neubarth.

It says that hundreds of time, actually.

Not in the the silly way that some here are claiming it, but it does say that believers get everlasting life (without taking into account whatever sins they might have done while alive).

It's found in that whomsoever believeth in Jesus Christ and is baptized clause, which found all over the New Testament.

The Whole Christian religion is based on the theory: that we are ALL sinners, but only though believing in JC and getting baptised will ones sin be forgiven and will one then enter heaven.

And if you think about that for a moment...

What that IMPLIES is that one person can sin like hell and as long as they believe and are baptized, they're getting into heaven.

And it ALSO implies that one can live the life of a Saint, but if one does NOT BELIEVE or GET BAPTIZED, then one is NOT going to heaven and getting everlasting life.

It's a goofy system, I agree.

I don't buy it, personally.

And I am some kind of Christian, too.

Last edited:

True, but what if there is no death bead between now and the point when you breath your last breath? If you truly believe Jesus is Lord why not accept the gift now? Why wait to be set free?

That's why I every so often repent on my sleepbed.

Plus, I'm a pretty boring guy and don't do a lot of sinning.

It isn't a matter of repenting continually that makes a Christain. Jesus paid for our sins past present and future so is not our works but his that get us to heaven. It is a matter of, do you know Jesus? Do you walk and talk with him daily?

Forum List

Back