Why don't people watch films?

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

• Banned

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

For some reason, this TV Forum seems to not get much activity, why I'm not sure.

I watch old films far more than newer films. Among my favorites are Little Foxes, Quo Vadis, Ride Lonesome...

I've seen some of the Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes stuff. I'd read the books first, which sometimes ruins the film version, in this case, it did. That said, since this is the TV forum, there's that 1980's series...it seems to me that Jeremy Brett was a very good Sherlock Holmes.

• Banned
I watch old films far more than newer films. Among my favorites are Little Foxes, Quo Vadis, Ride Lonesome...

I've seen some of the Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes stuff. I'd read the books first, which sometimes ruins the film version, in this case, it did. That said, since this is the TV forum, there's that 1980's series...it seems to me that Jeremy Brett was a very good Sherlock Holmes.

Yes Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke as Dr. Watson, very good....Edward son of old British actor Sir Cedric Hardwicke.

Conan Doyle's stories often very different from the films, some things aren't in the films.

I don't particularly watch ooo..lll...dddd films, but I do miss GOOD films. They are seldom made these days. Once in awhile I will go to the trouble of checking the lists in XOD ... and there's not a damned thing worth watching. The last time I looked, there was only one listing ... for "Woman in Gold" which was an excellent movie. The rest were all weird, evil aliens, blood and guts, or blood spewing chainsaw crap ... and I have to wonder. Now it appears that the continuing love affair with Charles Manson is about to be aired on TV.

Even though the rest of the world has moved on to BlueRay ... I'm slowing trying to build my DVD library! LOL! I just purchased "13 Hours" on Amazon because I want to know what the hell happened over there in Benghazi from the viewpoint of the people who were there. "What difference does it make?!!" Well, to the families of those who were slaughtered ... probably a lot. Which reminds me, whatever happened to that poor soul who was hustled out of his home as the creator of "The Video" that was purportedly the cause of the Benghazi fiasco? I've not seen anything about him since he was ushered out of his home.

• Banned
I don't particularly watch ooo..lll...dddd films, but I do miss GOOD films. They are seldom made these days. Once in awhile I will go to the trouble of checking the lists in XOD ... and there's not a damned thing worth watching. The last time I looked, there was only one listing ... for "Woman in Gold" which was an excellent movie. The rest were all weird, evil aliens, blood and guts, or blood spewing chainsaw crap ... and I have to wonder. Now it appears that the continuing love affair with Charles Manson is about to be aired on TV.

Even though the rest of the world has moved on to BlueRay ... I'm slowing trying to build my DVD library! LOL! I just purchased "13 Hours" on Amazon because I want to know what the hell happened over there in Benghazi from the viewpoint of the people who were there. "What difference does it make?!!" Well, to the families of those who were slaughtered ... probably a lot. Which reminds me, whatever happened to that poor soul who was hustled out of his home as the creator of "The Video" that was purportedly the cause of the Benghazi fiasco? I've not seen anything about him since he was ushered out of his home.

I don't know if we get Benghazi film in Europa, I think we should we have the Michael Moore films.

Blueray, Granny? Don't expect that to be available much longer. It's dvrs, hard drives, flash drives and solid state drives now.

I generally don't like watching black and white.

Beyond that, a lot of old movies will have language and/or themes which are simply dated. They don't resonate with someone who wasn't an adult, or even alive, when they were made.

I'm sure that younger people feel the same way about some of the movies I enjoy from my youth. :)

I don't know if we get Benghazi film in Europa, I think we should we have the Michael Moore films.

OHHHH, GOD! I refuse to watch anything Michael Moore is involved with. I can't even stand to see a picture of him. Nasty buzzard, he is.

they indeed dont make good films anymore these days unless its based off a true story like Concussion for example.great flick.the fact hollywood is making remakes like footloose or in the remakes case-craploose or hawaii five o with crap five o is proof in the pudding they have run out of ideas.

I agree there is nothing like the classics.:beer:

the reason you dont see many people here discuss them is you got to remember this is a political site,thats what i had to remind myself when i was talking about the rams coming back to LA.It is the biggest sports story of the century yet USMB posters had a okay whatever ho him attitude about it

they arent diehards like they are at other sports message boards i went to where they talked about it all the time so thats what the story is on that.;) you go to a movie message board,and you'll find a lot more of the kind of people you are looking for i guarantee you.

Blueray, Granny? Don't expect that to be available much longer. It's dvrs, hard drives, flash drives and solid state drives now.

Well, Ice ... Granny stays perpetually behind the times! LOL! I did pick up a couple pretty good movies last week at Walmart. I got "Big Stone Gap" - probably more of a chick flick than anything, but I'm familiar with Big Stone Gap, VA. Some of the best roommates I had when I was living in DC were from a little place called Keeoke which is not far from Big Stone, so brought back some good memories for me. The other was DeNiro's newest - "The Intern" - which I didn't think had been released for theater yet. A great contrast of the "generation gap," very funny and gave me great pleasure in knowing we old geezers still have a useful place in this life!

Well, Ice ... Granny stays perpetually behind the times! LOL! I did pick up a couple pretty good movies last week at Walmart. I got "Big Stone Gap" - probably more of a chick flick than anything, but I'm familiar with Big Stone Gap, VA. Some of the best roommates I had when I was living in DC were from a little place called Keeoke which is not far from Big Stone, so brought back some good memories for me. The other was DeNiro's newest - "The Intern" - which I didn't think had been released for theater yet. A great contrast of the "generation gap," very funny and gave me great pleasure in knowing we old geezers still have a useful place in this life!
I'll bet it doesn't match my dads VCR collection.

New Topics

Forum List

Back