Why don't people realize that American is a race in itself?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
What is a race? An ethnos. A distinct ethnic group. What is an ethnic group? A tribe. A family of families. Think about it. Think about how long most Americans' families have lived in this country. Think about how much they've mixed with everyone else's over the generations. Why can't people just realize and admit to themselves how closely related most other Americans are to them? There are no "European-Americans" or "African-Americans" or "Asian-Americans" that aren't recent immigrants or possibly their children. There are Americans who are more or less fairly close kin to each other. We might still be subdivided by color to an extent due to the relatively recent origins and solidification of our people, but that doesn't mean a whole lot on the genetic level.

Well, if Saint Patrick says it, I guess it is so. LMAO
You don't believe this is the case? Every human shares many of the same ancestors. There are only so many to go around, after all. I believe the furthest relation between modern people is about 50th cousins. Most are closer to each other, and that's at the global level.

4 Races

130 sub cultures if I remember correctly ... it was 6th grade so some idiot like the op may have added a few more

Well, if Saint Patrick says it, I guess it is so. LMAO
You don't believe this is the case? Every human shares many of the same ancestors. There are only so many to go around, after all. I believe the furthest relation between modern people is about 50th cousins. Most are closer to each other, and that's at the global level.

Sorry, science really doesn't support what you say, if it did they couldn't tell what part of the world your ancestors come from, but they can.

Sorry, science really doesn't support what you say, if it did they couldn't tell what part of the world your ancestors come from, but they can.
We're still in the process of ethnogenesis. New groups are coming all the time. But on the whole I'd venture a guess that we do share at least a few recent common ancestors. People generally don't really get how the whole thing works though. Hell, how many of the people here realize that similar processes resulted in the criollo people of Mexico, or have ever heard of the Melungeons?

Last edited:
We're still in the process of ethnogenesis. New groups are coming all the time. But on the whole I'd venture a guess that we do share at least a few recent common ancestors. People generally don't really get how the whole thing works though. Hell, how many of the people here realize that similar processes resulted in the criollo people of Mexico, or have ever heard of the Melungeons?

Multiracial people still come from several distinct races.

This is true. But there comes a point when a group of multiracial people become a distinct, homogenous race in their own. This is known as ethnogenesis. It's occurred throughout human history. It's an inevitable process. It happened when early Indonesians became shipwrecked on Madagascar. It happened when the Indo-European peoples spread out throughout Eurasia. It happened with the African slaves brought to the Americas. It happened when poor whites and poor blacks and tribes like the Cherokee mixed in the South. It's been happening with us since we've lived here. We're a new people. New genes continue to be assimilated into our ethnos. We still tend to look different thanks to those facts and various events from our history. But I guarantee you you're closer kin to any black (as opposed to African-American) man living here than you are to the average Briton. This is the reason for that. When it comes down to it, there are only so many people for us all to be descended from. There are only so many family lines here and many places where they join.

I suppose I should have learned my lesson from the attempt to spark a conversation about whether time is a dimension and what 4D space would be like on here though. I'll be sure to stick strictly to political topics from here on out. Science and history aren't really appropriate topics here it seems.

This is true. But there comes a point when a group of multiracial people become a distinct, homogenous race in their own. This is known as ethnogenesis. It's occurred throughout human history. It's an inevitable process. It happened when early Indonesians became shipwrecked on Madagascar. It happened when the Indo-European peoples spread out throughout Eurasia. It happened with the African slaves brought to the Americas. It happened when poor whites and poor blacks and tribes like the Cherokee mixed in the South. It's been happening with us since we've lived here. We're a new people. New genes continue to be assimilated into our ethnos. We still tend to look different thanks to those facts and various events from our history. But I guarantee you you're closer kin to any black (as opposed to African-American) man living here than you are to the average Briton. This is the reason for that. When it comes down to it, there are only so many people for us all to be descended from. There are only so many family lines here and many places where they join.

I suppose I should have learned my lesson from the attempt to spark a conversation about whether time is a dimension and what 4D space would be like on here though. I'll be sure to stick strictly to political topics from here on out. Science and history aren't really appropriate topics here it seems.

Sticking to politics on a politics board, a good idea? Yep, who knew? Evidently not you.

Forum List

Back