CDZ Why don't motorcycles come equipped with crash bags or air bags ?

You are mistaken. Air bags have been a feature on Honda Goldwings for 14 years. Not impossible.
I believe it is a third-party accessory. I could not find where Honda has it as a standard feature or as an accessory.

IF it was an EFFECTIVE safety feature, Honda would have made it available as a factory accessory. Honda has a respectable reputation so I can't believe that if it was proven effective and saved lives, they would have made it a standard item on their Goldwings or at least a factory accessory.

It is not.

Last edited:
I believe it is a third-party accessory. I could not find where Honda has it as a standard feature or as an accessory.
Nope, it is an option on one model.
AIRBAG: The Gold Wing pioneered the concept of a motorcycle airbag, and the 2021 Gold Wing continues to lead the way. Available on our Tour Airbag DCT model, it goes that extra mile towards increased rider safety. You also get an exclusive Candy Ardent Red paint scheme.

Wouldn't expect that they would be. There is no replacement for a well-trained, observant rider.
The trouble is, motorists do look but they don't often see motorbikes because of two reasons. Firstly, the vast majority of vehicles they see at junctions are cars and lorries, that's what we mainly see, the small motorbike can be missed. Also, motorbikes can often blend in with the back ground, as you look left to right etc.. that dark clothing wearing motorbiker just blended in with the hedge.

So motorcyclists should also take extra care, slow down and be prepared to stop, especially at junctions. Not many motorbikes want to wear hi-viz vests.

So motorbikes on roads are a two way thing, car drivers take more time to look and motorbikes to be more visible and slow down. This, "I have the right of way" mentality can get them killed.

Nope, it is an option on one model.
AIRBAG: The Gold Wing pioneered the concept of a motorcycle airbag, and the 2021 Gold Wing continues to lead the way. Available on our Tour Airbag DCT model, it goes that extra mile towards increased rider safety. You also get an exclusive Candy Ardent Red paint scheme.
The trouble is, motorists do look but they don't often see motorbikes because of two reasons. Firstly, the vast majority of vehicles they see at junctions are cars and lorries, that's what we mainly see, the small motorbike can be missed. Also, motorbikes can often blend in with the back ground, as you look left to right etc.. that dark clothing wearing motorbiker just blended in with the hedge.

So motorcyclists should also take extra care, slow down and be prepared to stop, especially at junctions. Not many motorbikes want to wear hi-viz vests.

So motorbikes on roads are a two way thing, car drivers take more time to look and motorbikes to be more visible and slow down. This, "I have the right of way" mentality can get them killed.
Risk mitigation is paramount. Smaller bike riders definitely need to be more aware and wearing bright clothing or ANY other mitigation effort helps. Larger bikes, OTOH, often do everything they can and are still missed. Extra lights, modulating headlight, blinking tail lights and the like are not uncommon an these larger bikes that rival the size of small cars. Bottom line is, automobile drivers become comfortable in their cocoons and they just don't pay as much attention as they should for the most part.

You are missing the point ...the vast majority of bikes could be unable to fit the devices we discussed before.

These super-monsters bikes you insist on mentioning are in a tiny minority.
With all due respect, that may be in Australia. In the US, large touring bikes can be seen on the roads daily and in substantial numbers. The thread said nothing about size. It mentions air bags and motorcycles--ALL motorcycles.

With all due respect, that may be in Australia. In the US, large touring bikes can be seen on the roads daily and in substantial numbers. The thread said nothing about size. It mentions air bags and motorcycles--ALL motorcycles.

You keep talking about these hugely monsters of bikes....almost like little cars.

Not the same Concerned American

You keep talking about these hugely monsters of bikes....almost like little cars.

Not the same Concerned American
I've ridden for over 50 years, every size bike. I am a multiple year Master Rider from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I am fully aware of size differences. I also am aware that only one model MC has airbags which makes no difference to the thread. The OP asked the question. I answered it with indisputable facts. I also have stated in this thread that small bike riders need to be extremely aware and mitigate the risks. Larger bikes still have to be cognizant of the same dangers as smaller bikes although the chances of serious injury are slightly less. Motorcycle riding is inherently dangerous and their is no safety device that will take the place of a well-trained, observant rider.

I've ridden for over 50 years, every size bike. I am a multiple year Master Rider from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I am fully aware of size differences. I also am aware that only one model MC has airbags which makes no difference to the thread. The OP asked the question. I answered it with indisputable facts. I also have stated in this thread that small bike riders need to be extremely aware and mitigate the risks. Larger bikes still have to be cognizant of the same dangers as smaller bikes although the chances of serious injury are slightly less. Motorcycle riding is inherently dangerous and their is no safety device that will take the place of a well-trained, observant rider.

Cool!

Then we are on the same page.

You are missing the point ...the vast majority of bikes could be unable to fit the devices we discussed before.

These super-monsters bikes you insist on mentioning are in a tiny minority.
Skye, does it really matter about the numbers ? The whole exercise was to get an idea of whether or not such technology exist or maybe not, and if it does or doesn't exist, would it have an impact on saving Lives if it did exist, otherwise if it doesn't exist ?? It's been fun and interesting watching the avid riders throw in their thoughts and ideas whether they are for or against. Good stuff. Thanks Skye.

Skye, does it really matter about the numbers ? The whole exercise was to get an idea of whether or not such technology exist or maybe not, and if it does or doesn't exist, would it have an impact on saving Lives if it did exist, otherwise if it doesn't exist ?? It's been fun and interesting watching the avid riders throw in their thoughts and ideas whether they are for or against. Good stuff. Thanks Skye.

You are very welcome beagle9 !!:)

Clarity is always needed in these type of threads!

Watching the videos of crashes on YouTube, said to me that speed amongst a certain class of rider's is very dangerous, but they must do it for the rush, but shockingly it ends up ending them sooner than later.

For any reader/rider interested here is more on inflatable safety vests out on the market. I have no knowledge about the recommended brands, but according to ripsandrides they consider 3 of them to be top of the line.

For every "duh" accident by a motorist, there are probably two "duh" close calls where the biker saves his own skin with good maneuvering.

Basically, I assume they are going to pull out in front of me, unless I can see them see me and/or their actions with their vehicle cue me. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

But, we choose to sit on top of an engine and two wheels and go for it. So the onus is on us, as they say.
I always assume everybody on the road is out to get me.

Couldn't it be mounted in the center of the handle bars, and then on both sides on what is called the highway bars ?

Seems it would save the riders life if there was some kind of safety device like that installed.

Most riders involved in a crash fly off their motorcycles, for obvious reasons. What sense would it make to install an airbag? There are airbag like devices that you can wear, that can deploy the moment you lose contact with your cycle.

Most riders involved in a crash fly off their motorcycles, for obvious reasons. What sense would it make to install an airbag? There are airbag like devices that you can wear, that can deploy the moment you lose contact with your cycle.
Have you ever T-boned a left turner? Air bags would work very well for that situation.

Airbags do not do any good unless it is part of an over all strategy.
For example, and airbag on a motorcycle is not going to do a bit of good if the person is just going to be thrown over it.
And with a motorcycle, the collision and motion can be from any direction.
So if one wanted to put an airbag on the bike, the first thing you would have to do is restrain the driver to the bike with a harness.
Then you would need to add a cage, both for roll and for impact compression.
That would all be very large, heavy, and confining.
Buyers would not go for it.

So an alternative that is being done, is an airbag suit.
The main risk is to the neck and back in a collision, so if you wear a suit that inflats on impact, to immobilize the head to the shoulders, and protect the back, then most serious injuries can be greatly reduced.

81AW6jK11cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Airbags do not do any good unless it is part of an over all strategy.
For example, and airbag on a motorcycle is not going to do a bit of good if the person is just going to be thrown over it.
And with a motorcycle, the collision and motion can be from any direction.
So if one wanted to put an airbag on the bike, the first thing you would have to do is restrain the driver to the bike with a harness.
Then you would need to add a cage, both for roll and for impact compression.
That would all be very large, heavy, and confining.
Buyers would not go for it.

So an alternative that is being done, is an airbag suit.
The main risk is to the neck and back in a collision, so if you wear a suit that inflats on impact, to immobilize the head to the shoulders, and protect the back, then most serious injuries can be greatly reduced.

81AW6jK11cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Forum List

Back