Why doesn't Utah have school shootings?

I live in SLC, and we have guns on campus all far too often.

It's a matter of time before we have a shooting.

Because the kids are all brainwashed Mormon Zombies?

What they do have is one of the highest teen suicide rates in the country, though.

Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune
Would you say such a thing about muslims? No you wouldn't. Coward.

Well, no, I wouldn't because Muslims aren't brainwashed (as can be seen by the fact that most of them are as secular as Christians are) nor do they have a particularly high suicide rate.

What they do have is one of the highest teen suicide rates in the country, though.

Much better. I'm all for the Mormans killing themselves. :clap:

Any way to get them to speed it up?

Your thoughts?

Tell them the truth about Joseph Smith?

What's the truth?

Oh, and not everyone in Utah is LDS. I know it sounds weird but there are other religions in the state as well.

Well, no, I wouldn't because Muslims aren't brainwashed (as can be seen by the fact that most of them are as secular as Christians are) nor do they have a particularly high suicide rate.
Muslims aren't brainwashed but Mormons are? When was the last time a Mormon was in the news calling for Jihad? When has a Mormon ever flew a plan into a tall building?

"Why doesn't Utah have school shootings? "

There are a million smarmy responses to that question. They are for sale, 50 cents each.

Your thoughts?

As long as there are old creepy men that need to legally have sex with very young girls the Morman religion is safe. I guess we should just count it as a blessing that the Mormans don't recognise same sex marriage. At least the young boys are sort of safe from these pedifiles. For now.. :lol:

Last edited:

Muslims aren't brainwashed but Mormons are? When was the last time a Mormon was in the news calling for Jihad? When has a Mormon ever flew a plan into a tall building?

Again, you think Terrorism is about religion and not about the fact that we've killed a lot more of them than they've killed of us.

I've read that atheists have higher suicide rates than religious folks.

Active members were found to be seven times less likely to commit suicide than their less-active peers, according to the study.

"Many factors of religiosity relate to lowered suicide rates," Hilton said. "Latter-day Saints believe in a higher being, an afterlife, and the sanctity of life. They believe life, in and of itself, is precious. The church also has an elaborate social support system."

American Journal of Epidemiology:
Active Latter-day Saints Seven Times Less Likely to Commit Suicide
SOURCE: American Journal of Epidemiology 2002;155:413-419. Write-up in: "High Religious Commitment Linked to Less Suicide", by Charnicia E. Huggins (Reuters Health), Daily News (6 March 2002), URL: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20020306/hl/religion_1.html

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Young Mormon men living in Utah who closely adhere to the dictates of their faith are less likely to commit suicide than their peers who are less active in the church, study findings show.

The Mormon Church is known formally as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS).

For more than 10 years, 15- to 34-year-old males in Utah have had suicide rates markedly higher than those seen nationally. In fact, in the early to mid-1990s, suicide was the number one cause of death among 25- to 44-year-old men in the state and the second-leading cause of death among men aged 15 to 24.

"These results provide evidence that a low level of religious commitment is a potential risk factor for suicide," Dr. Sterling C. Hilton of Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, and his colleagues write in the March 1st issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology.

"If the observed association is real, then it gives us another piece of information that helps us understand suicide... which might help efforts to reduce it," Hilton told Reuters Health.

Hilton and his colleagues investigated the relationship between suicide and religiosity in an analysis of 1991-1995 state death records from the Utah State Department of Health, as well as data from the LDS church and the US Census Bureau.

Roughly 27,740 male deaths occurred during the study period, including 551 suicides among 15 to 34 year olds, the investigators report. About 6 in 10 of these suicides were committed by male members of the LDS church.

Suicide rates in each of the four age categories studied--15 to 19 years, 20 to 24 years, 25 to 29 years, and 30 to 34 years--were lower among active members of the LDS church than among less active LDS church members, nonmembers and males in the general US population, the report indicates.

For example, the suicide rate among less active LDS church members aged 25 to 29 was seven times higher than among their active church peers. Nationally, the suicide rate among 20- to 34-year old males was 2.5 to 3 times higher than among active LDS church members of the same age. Suicide risk was also 3 to 6 times higher among nonmembers in comparison to active members of the LDS church.

In addition, the risk of suicide among males aged 15 to 19 was three times higher among the less active church members than among their active peers, but the rate among the active youth was comparable to the national suicide rate.

One potential reason for the association between lower suicide risk and high levels of religiosity may be the fact that some religions forbid substance abuse or other harmful behaviors that may be associated with suicide, the researchers speculate.

In addition, they suggest, the social structure and support provided by many religions may reduce feelings of isolation and help individuals who are suffering bouts of depression, thereby acting as a suicide prevention measure.

Lastly, the high value placed on life by many religions may also be an indirect method of suicide prevention, since individuals who are strongly committed to their faith may have a greater desire to live.

"Since the possible explanations (given)... for the observed association are not unique to the LDS church, I believe that these findings are most likely generalizable to other religions," Hilton said.
Low Suicide Rate Among Active LDS (Mormons)

Your thoughts?

What's the truth?

Oh, and not everyone in Utah is LDS. I know it sounds weird but there are other religions in the state as well.

I'm sure there are... there's all those LDS splinter groups where they have multiple wives, for instance. They didn't get the memo God wasn't cool with Polygamy.

The truth. Joseph Smith was a two bit con artist who made up a religion so he could screw little girls.

He was kind of the David Koresh of his day.

Again, you think Terrorism is about religion and not about the fact that we've killed a lot more of them than they've killed of us.

No Joe you aren't going to be allowed to deflect this one.
When was the last time a Mormon was in the news calling for Jihad? When has a Mormon ever flew a plan into a tall building?

Answer or shut the fuck up.

When was the last time a Mormon was in the news calling for Jihad? When has a Mormon ever flew a plan into a tall building?

Proof that the Muslim religion is better than the Christians and the Mormans. At least the Muslims are trained to have absolute faith that they are right PLUS they have the added bonus of being able to legally fuck 12 year olds.

Proof that the Muslim religion is better than the Christians and the Mormans. At least the Muslims are trained to have absolute faith that they are right PLUS they have the added bonus of being able to legally fuck 12 year olds.

Irrelevant response to the question. try again.

Forum List

Back