Why Doesn't Everybody Play a Musical Instrument ?

It's never too late to learn an instrument.

I know a guy who taught himself how to play the banjo at 70 one who taught himself how to play the Native American flute at 60 and many more.
As for guitar it’s going to be a lot of uncomfortable hand positions and repetition and muscle memory. I played five years ago. I could play 20 songs in a row. Now I get tired after 2 songs. My fingers. I need to build up the callouses again.

I also need to learn new songs. I already have five. I don’t even want to play the songs I played five years ago but even if I did I’ve forgotten 90% of them.

When I went to school music was a part of the curriculum. We had a separate music class that was one hour per day with the music teacher. Her name was Mr. Carlson. The man who taught how to play an instrument was Mr. Chyala.

Music lessons for just about any instrument was offered to all the kids.

I started learning to play the clarinet when I was in 3rd grade. I was in the school band all through school. In middle school I taught myself how to play the guitar. In high school and middle school one of the elective classes that was taught was guitar. I already knew how to play so it was easy to get into that class even though it was full at the time.

My ex learned how to play the piano as soon as his feet could reach the peddles. His grandmother was a piano teacher. He plays the guitar too.

Studies show that music and art stimulate certain areas of the brain and help with logic, mathematics and reading. Children who learn music or to play music do much better in school.

My child learned how to play the piano and violin.
I wish my school would have had guitar teaching. As it wound up, I taught myself the guitar, then afterwards the mandolin and violin. Now I teach these instruments myself, but I am dismayed at the overwhelming majority of people (99%) who love music, listen to it frequently, but have no interest in learning to play it themselves. They don't know what they're missing - and they're missing A LOT.

Give somebody a guitar or mandolin for Christmas. Hopefully, they'll learn it, and at worst, it makes a superb wall decoration.

I taught myself how to play a guitar before I took the classes. It was very easy to me to learn guitar. It was a fun elective class and easy A. Something I didn't have to study for. Playing a guitar wasn't studying to me, it was fun. It was very easy to learn clarinet too. Just came easy for me. Others I watched struggled learning and felt sorry for them.

People would tell me I was great on the guitar but please don't sing. LOL.

I was the child who when most other kids were sleeping with their favorite stuffed animal or blanket, I slept with my radio. On my pillow turned on to rock and roll.

Music has been a very big part of my life all of my life.

I turned my two loves into a career and spent 35 years working with and photographing the greatest musicians of our lifetime.
Im not great at guitar. I can play chords that’s it. But people are impressed because I can sing and play at the same time.

That’s the only thing that came naturally to me. I ran a music school and singing while you play does not come easy for most people. They focus so hard on just playing guitar that after they learn how to play they then have to learn how to play and sing at the same time.

It was the way my teacher taught me. He told me just go home and learn D and G. I came back the next week and he said, “are you ready to play your first song?” I was like, ”what song?” And he started singing and playing D and G. Early in the morning, rising to the streets, light me up a cigarette and I’ll step shoes on my feet, love is what I got.

Then he taught me 3 new chords. Am, F, Dm, G. my Jones.

There are a million easy 2-4 chord songs.

Night moves by bob seater was the first bar chord song I learned. G F C

I never knew signing and playing an instrument was hard. I did it all the time when I was a kid and teenager.

I don't mean to be rude but I just don't get that. What is hard about singing and playing an instrument?

I can do that but people asked me not to sing. Apparently I have a terrible singing voice.

So I used to go outside to the patio to play my guitar and sing so no one in the house had to hear it. LOL.

Music, photography and math always came very easy for me.

I got my degree in accounting/finance but in my 30s turned my love and hobby for photography and music into a career.
Listen to Lil Baby's song called Rockstar. On the guitar it's easy but I'm going to have to learn all these rap lyrics and they sing FAST

1608570347548.png

Right now I can't even sing that without a guitar.

Am Dm

She was cuter than a speckled pup just turned 21.

Em Am

She had a lot of fun playing with my gun.

Am Dm

Just before the sun come up she couldn't take no more.

Em Am

She came undone crying crawling for the door.

Am Dm

And it's hard to be an outlaw who ain't wanted anymore.

Em Am

And the only friends that's left is them behind them swinging doors.

Am Dm

And it's hard to keep your trying when your back is to the floor.

Em Am

Am Dm

Record people nowdays get too far off the ground.

Em Am

Songs 'bout the backroads they never have been down.

Am Dm

They go and call it country, but that ain't the way it sounds.

Em Am

It's enough to make a renegade want to terrorize the town.

Am Dm

Em Am

And the only friends that's left is them behind them swinging doors.

Am Dm

And it's hard to keep your trying when your back is to the floor.

Em Am

Try that on for size I gave up on it

When I went to school music was a part of the curriculum. We had a separate music class that was one hour per day with the music teacher. Her name was Mr. Carlson. The man who taught how to play an instrument was Mr. Chyala.

I started learning to play the clarinet when I was in 3rd grade. I was in the school band all through school. In middle school I taught myself how to play the guitar. In high school and middle school one of the elective classes that was taught was guitar. I already knew how to play so it was easy to get into that class even though it was full at the time.

My ex learned how to play the piano as soon as his feet could reach the peddles. His grandmother was a piano teacher. He plays the guitar too.

Studies show that music and art stimulate certain areas of the brain and help with logic, mathematics and reading. Children who learn music or to play music do much better in school.

I wish my school would have had guitar teaching. As it wound up, I taught myself the guitar, then afterwards the mandolin and violin. Now I teach these instruments myself, but I am dismayed at the overwhelming majority of people (99%) who love music, listen to it frequently, but have no interest in learning to play it themselves. They don't know what they're missing - and they're missing A LOT.

Give somebody a guitar or mandolin for Christmas. Hopefully, they'll learn it, and at worst, it makes a superb wall decoration.

I taught myself how to play a guitar before I took the classes. It was very easy to me to learn guitar. It was a fun elective class and easy A. Something I didn't have to study for. Playing a guitar wasn't studying to me, it was fun. It was very easy to learn clarinet too. Just came easy for me. Others I watched struggled learning and felt sorry for them.

I was the child who when most other kids were sleeping with their favorite stuffed animal or blanket, I slept with my radio. On my pillow turned on to rock and roll.

I turned my two loves into a career and spent 35 years working with and photographing the greatest musicians of our lifetime.
Im not great at guitar. I can play chords that’s it. But people are impressed because I can sing and play at the same time.

That’s the only thing that came naturally to me. I ran a music school and singing while you play does not come easy for most people. They focus so hard on just playing guitar that after they learn how to play they then have to learn how to play and sing at the same time.

It was the way my teacher taught me. He told me just go home and learn D and G. I came back the next week and he said, “are you ready to play your first song?” I was like, ”what song?” And he started singing and playing D and G. Early in the morning, rising to the streets, light me up a cigarette and I’ll step shoes on my feet, love is what I got.

I never knew signing and playing an instrument was hard. I did it all the time when I was a kid and teenager.

I don't mean to be rude but I just don't get that. What is hard about singing and playing an instrument?

I can do that but people asked me not to sing. Apparently I have a terrible singing voice.

So I used to go outside to the patio to play my guitar and sing so no one in the house had to hear it. LOL.

I got my degree in accounting/finance but in my 30s turned my love and hobby for photography and music into a career.
I think it’s hard for them because they first learned how to only play the guitar. Then once they know how to play the guitar they have to go back and relearn how to play and sing at the same time.

I agree singing while I play comes naturally to me too.

That is strange to me. I have never heard that singing and playing an instrument at the same time was hard.

I didn't learn to play separate from singing. I sang the songs as I learned to play the guitar.

I was just told over and over to not sing. I have a terrible singing voice.
Imagine patting yourself on the head with your left hand. Then imagine rubbing your belly with your right hand. Then try doing both at the same time. It’s like that.

How about my nephew. He can play ukulele. But he can’t play the chords at the right time when I’m singing. I want him to play an easy four chord song and I’ll sing along. He doesnt know when to switch. For you and me that’s easy but for him its going to take time and practice.

I never knew anyone had any trouble playing an instrument and singing at the same time. I mean I couldn't sing along as I played the clarinet because the instrument was in my mouth but I sure did when I played the guitar. However old a person is in the summer before 6th grade, that's when I taught myself how to play a guitar and I sang the songs as I learned to play.

It's like with photography for me too. To me, it's like breathing. Take the shot and move on. It literally takes me seconds. While it takes everyone else forever to get a shot. I never understood that either.

I can pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time. That has never been hard for me to do.

Mechanics. Now that is hard for me. I don't get it and you may as well be speaking to me in Japanese. My ex used to tease me and say he wouldn't even trust me to measure a door. One time I was late for work because my car wouldn't start. A guy in the parking lot came over to help me. He opened the hood, took some things off the top of the battery and said, "Here's your problem. You don't have water in your battery."

Guess what I said in reply?

These are my exact words. "Water goes in a battery?"

So everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

If we were all the same, this would be a very boring world.
You know what’s tough? Writing a song. I can’t do it. I mean a good one.

I can't do that either. Yes it's very hard to do.

Listen to Lil Baby's song called Rockstar. On the guitar it's easy but I'm going to have to learn all these rap lyrics and they sing FAST

View attachment 431863

Right now I can't even sing that without a guitar.

I have worked with many rap stars.

They are not easy to photograph on stage.

Even when they are standing still, they are moving. And don't stand still very much. LOL.

But they are fun to photograph even though not easy.

I've written 3 songs this year and have several lyrics waiting on a melody- when I was younger (in my mid to late 20's) I wrote 3 songs that I remember to this day and have worked on improving them this year.
I've always had a gift? of expressing myself, sometimes poetically, sometimes musically but never really gave it much thought as a career. My mother used to tell me I should go to Nashville but, I'm not a seeker of fame or fortune and had no desire to be told how my songs should be presented, which is what Nashville empty suits do, which is what gave birth to the term, Outlaw Country, which originated in Austin, Tx. I had no idea what Austin birthed back then, musically. As it turns out, I'm glad I didn't pursue that route either as the lifestyle was not something I enjoyed ( one continuous party) - my family says I need to start a You Tube channel. Next year I will. Until then I keep working at improving what I play and how I sing, developing (albeit a bit late in life) my own style.

I inherited my family's love of music and started taking piano lessons weekly at 6 six years old and continued for six more years. Classical for the most part. Mom was always proud she didn't have to make me practice the piano after school for an hour. She said I just came in from school, changed my clothes, and hopped on my piano bench. Vocalists, classically trained were also in the family and a great inspiration for me as I became the school singer for many years.

These days, I am never online without instrumental music playing in the background and I am never in my car without music blaring. At home, I have it on a lower volume. Listening to music keeps me very happy and I love almost any genre. I feel blessed to have this love of music.

Merry Christmas, fellow members, and mods of USMB. :beer:

One of my favorite keyboard/guitar solos starts @ 6:00
and another guitar solo at 10:00

I appreciate the contribution, but what does it have to do with the topic >>

I have worked with many rap stars.

They are not easy to photograph on stage.

Even when they are standing still, they are moving. And don't stand still very much. LOL.

But they are fun to photograph even though not easy.
Off topic, but interesting nevertheless.

Off topic
Back on topic- I think some, if not many, are content just to listen- and if they try to make music, with their voice, or an instrument, they are discouraged from the environment of instant gratification we live in when it doesn't happen for them immediately. Even though they know that very few are over-night sensations, they content themselves with/by listening, which is a form of entertaining - appreciating a specific style or sound or instrument can be gratifying- not everyone can be an athlete either, even though we all have the same tools-

For instance; as an anecdote. Neither of my sons play and neither sings, but both really like and appreciate music they like- my oldest told me, that watching my playin at playin, he is amazed at what my right hand does while my left hand does something else, and, I'm singing at the same time- but, since his daughter now has, and his son will get a guitar for christmas he has a lot of years ahead of him (they are 7 and 8 [soon to be 9]) where he will be exposed and asked for help- so, he may at least study (watch you tube) with them and get curious.

Last edited:
Off topic, but interesting nevertheless.
Who cares ? Music is a diverse topic to begin with.

I appreciate the contribution, but what does it have to do with the topic >>
It's my way of answering the question.
Everyone likes music, but to many it seems like a daunting
task to play something and be good at it, especially when they're
intimidated by great musicians like these guys.

Happier now, or will I have to elaborate further ?

To further the learning using a teacher, or videos, I ran across this last night- to me, hands down, the best tutorial I've seen on you tube- finally, finger picking for dummies- that would be me.

Who cares ? Music is a diverse topic to begin with.

It's my way of answering the question.
Everyone likes music, but to many it seems like a daunting
task to play something and be good at it, especially when they're
intimidated by great musicians like these guys.

Happier now, or will I have to elaborate further ?
They don't understand that it is NOT a daunting task. They can take one small step at a time. On a guitar, mandolin or banjo, just learn 3 simple chords. Hundreds of songs can be played with that. Next, learn a few bass runs to liven up the chords. Eventually, learn a scale of one key, and a few melodies to play within it. Then mix that with the chords.

In less than a year, they could be playing some pretty sophisticated music. They can also play melody notes by just picking them on top of the chords (without knowing the scales). Helps to take a few lessons, especially in the beginning. :biggrin:

cheap is subjective- a 6000 dollar Gibson would be cheap to a billionaire
I don't want anything to do with people who are that loose with their money or morals. Then you need a $10,000 burglar alarm system in your home to keep it from being stolen, better have your own guns, too, credit monitoring services to make sure the jerks at the music store aren't ripping you off through your credit card or bank account — you probably don't want to walk into a place like that with a wad of cash.

"When you can play what's in your head
without looking...."

It's funny- my wife can't play guitar and I can't imagine her even trying to, and I could never type. But she can type almost as fast as I can voice-text on my phone.

Forum List

Back