Why does the ghetto exist?

bluejays4360

Rookie
Aug 22, 2021
I posted this question awhile earlier, and perhaps I may have elaborated on it a little too much, and thus it got misinterpreted. The reason, however, that I wish to ask this question is because I'm a white Puerto Rican kid who grew up on 141st Street and St. Nicholas Ave in Harlem, NYC. I also grew up with a single mother who had dementia, which also wasn't easy. That entire time I wore pretty raggedy clothing since I didn't have much else, and most people scorned me for that. They thought I was trying to wear those clothes, as if I was some sort of wannabe. As I got older though, it only got worse. A kid wearing clothes like that could easily be passed off as a misguided try-hard, but the vast majority of white adults who wear clothes like that are in fact undercover police.

Long story short, I went through some pretty tumultuous circumstances that I'd never wish on my own kids, and going through all that stuff I was always alone since nobody took my complaints seriously.

So, yeah, long story short, living in the ghetto sucks, especially when you're alone.

So my question is... why? Why does this "ghetto" even exist? Who decided that? Why is it a good idea? How is this an alternative to slavery? The way I see it is blacks in this country spout about freedom this and freedom that but have no clue what they plan to do with that freedom except bang on bongo drums and spite white people in rap music.

I work in the music industry as an artist manager with many Dominican artists, plenty of whom appear and also identify basically as black. Trust me, these people were the FIRST individuals that gave me their solidarity, which proves that even black people believe in slavery in the 21st century. So WTF

Edit: I hope I didn't write this too long again LMAOO life is complicated.

The Ghetto exists because a lot of people like living there. Its sort of a crappy area for kids, sure. But a lot of adults like the way people with loose ethics like pimps, hoes and drug dealers are welcome and the cost of living is less than in other areas. Ghettos often have easy parking (probably not in NYC, but absolutely in the urban prairie ghettos in the Midwest) And they are often convenient to inner cities and seedy joints that people like to frequent. Lastly , the cost of living can be bargain basement. A home in the Detroit or East St. Louis ghetto is a cheap way to live.

I posted this question awhile earlier, and perhaps I may have elaborated on it a little too much, and thus it got misinterpreted. The reason, however, that I wish to ask this question is because I'm a white Puerto Rican kid who grew up on 141st Street and St. Nicholas Ave in Harlem, NYC. I also grew up with a single mother who had dementia, which also wasn't easy. That entire time I wore pretty raggedy clothing since I didn't have much else, and most people scorned me for that. They thought I was trying to wear those clothes, as if I was some sort of wannabe. As I got older though, it only got worse. A kid wearing clothes like that could easily be passed off as a misguided try-hard, but the vast majority of white adults who wear clothes like that are in fact undercover police.

Long story short, I went through some pretty tumultuous circumstances that I'd never wish on my own kids, and going through all that stuff I was always alone since nobody took my complaints seriously.

So, yeah, long story short, living in the ghetto sucks, especially when you're alone.

So my question is... why? Why does this "ghetto" even exist? Who decided that? Why is it a good idea? How is this an alternative to slavery? The way I see it is blacks in this country spout about freedom this and freedom that but have no clue what they plan to do with that freedom except bang on bongo drums and spite white people in rap music.

I work in the music industry as an artist manager with many Dominican artists, plenty of whom appear and also identify basically as black. Trust me, these people were the FIRST individuals that gave me their solidarity, which proves that even black people believe in slavery in the 21st century. So WTF

There are many educated who still have an issue leaving until the right job comes along. Staying may be a mistake. Heartache is all over every class and group. Influence on children can be very bad by other children and adults. Which pisses off even more residents.

So my question is... why? Why does this "ghetto" even exist? Who decided that? Why is it a good idea? How is this an alternative to slavery?
Ghettos exist because they are less desirable places to live.
In cities, it may be “the other side of the tracks” or the outskirts of town.
In rural areas, it may be backwoods areas.
The poor can’t afford Park Avenue

It differs from slavery in that you are free to leave any time. Many do escape poverty. Many are stuck there for generations

hollars ..certain hollars are know for white trash...you know to stay out of them....here is an example..if the law dares to enter the hollar ...they wait for them to get deep in the drop trees into the road...blocking their exit

Ghettos exist because they are less desirable places to live.
In cities, it may be “the other side of the tracks” or the outskirts of town.
In rural areas, it may be backwoods areas.
The poor can’t afford Park Avenue

It differs from slavery in that you are free to leave any time. Many do escape poverty. Many are stuck there for generations

A lot of people find the Ghetto to be a lot more desirable, RW.

Could Wesley Snipes have even thought about setting up his New Jack City enterprise in a non-ghetto area? Middle Class areas tend to have a lot of local busy bodies that will give ordinary Americans a hard time if they are looking to sling crack or engage in pimpery out of their residencies.

Thanks for your heartfelt comments.

You seem like a sincere and perceptive person.

I have no answer to your question, but I liked the ideas from another contributor to this thread: Maybe one reason for ghettos is that people there feel comfortable.

For example, one can say that the original Chinatowns were ghettos.

When the Chinese were brought over here in the 19th century to build the railroads, they were forced to live in a segregated part of, say, San Francisco and even the tiny town of Los Angeles. There they could interact with people who spoke their language and who cooked food that they liked and where they could feel safe from the prejudice of Caucasians who lived outside Chinatown. And, yes, there were Chinese gangs that provided prostitutes and drugs.

I understand that President Obama's administration had plans to move some ghetto (AKA inner city) residents to the "suburbs" (euphemism for Caucasian areas). Maybe some ghetto residents actually prefer to stay in the ghetto.

Best wishes to you!

No one designs ghettos. And in fact Harlem is gentrifying. There is a broad range of people there now. Was that true in the 70’s and 80’s? Probably not.
What I think you are asking is why is there poverty? Since people with low incomes move to low income areas. It certainly isn’t “slavery”. I think you are flagrantly and intentionally misusing the term. I don’t know if you’re telling the truth about your predicament, and I don’t know how you can characterize what “people” thought of you. However, if you look sketchy, people will watch you when you go into a store. They will watch you if you’re in a public area near them. That’s just normal caution from people who don’t know you.

perhaps what we want to address the circumstances that help create disparity and poverty. Perhaps we examine why someone going and poor had no one to turn to for help.

Mas to the young artis who were kind- they weren’t slaves and aren’t. They were looking to you to help THEM move out of poverty using the skills that they believed were marketable

Long story short. Votes.

A lot of people find the Ghetto to be a lot more desirable, RW.

Could Wesley Snipes have even thought about setting up his New Jack City enterprise in a non-ghetto area? Middle Class areas tend to have a lot of local busy bodies that will give ordinary Americans a hard time if they are looking to sling crack or engage in pimpery out of their residencies.
1. People in ghettos ARE ordinary Americans.
2. No one finds high poverty areas desirable - whether it’s an urban ghetto or a rural trailer park.

ijit

Ghettos exist because it's the physical manifestation of an area that represents the people who live in it. Broke, uneducated, lazy, poor, ambitionless, loose moral code, and overall shitty people.

Now those people can be black or white. A lot of ghettos, slum etc have white people in them also. But the majority are blacks.

Look at the history of all the countries across the world from thousands of years ago till now. Now think hard on this. How many countries through out time did blacks create, own, populate and run that were 1st or even 2nd world compared to countries run by non blacks? How many medical, scientific engineering, philosophical, etc contributions have blacks made to the world vs non blacks? How many inventions have blacks create vs non blacks? Not many really.

Basically I'm just saying ghettos exist because that is their best.

Now granted there are some well to do, ambitious, smart blacks. There are a lot of them. But 99% are well to do in a country founded by whites.

When the Spaniards, Asians, Europeans, etc were all building ships, sailing across oceans, setting up trade routes and so blacks were just sitting in their thatch hut houses living like savages.

None of that is racist, it's all very much true.

A typical American Ghetto is the city of Detroit, Michigan.

The population has decreased from 1.8 million to 600 thousand over the past 70 years.

What that adds up to is easy parking, which means a lot to lot of people.

........long story short=irresponsible sex.....people [ kids really ] having babies before they are financially and mentally ready....also, having MULTIPLE kids.
\...my niece had not 1, not 2, not 3 but FOUR kids and all with deadbeat dads...she doesn't live in a ghetto, but she lives is a very crappy house that leaks/etc ..she gets welfare and got $7000 last stimulus check...gets $600 every month from OUR taxes...and now, extra $ for the kid that has some problems.....irresponsible sex is bad for the community also

In most cities it was once practically impossible for minorities to live anywhere other than the areas designated to them.

New Topics

Forum List

Back