Why does belief in God require a religion?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
My parents were devout Christians and good parents. They took me to Church, baptized me etc but there were too many things about Christianity that didn't make sense to me. I believe there is a God, but more in the vein of Intelligent Design. I see a lot of problems with formalized religion, both past and present and question whether they do more good or cause more harm in the world.

Religion is a practice. Meditation, prayer, rites, readings, etc.
You could think of the practice of religion as a spiritual workout.

If you wanted to be an Olympic boxer, you'd work out, train, observe dietary restrictions... you'd keep to a narrow path.

Same if you wanted to reach enlightenment, satori, nirvana, or a state of Christian joy that passes through all circumstances.

My parents were devout Christians and good parents. They took me to Church, baptized me etc but there were too many things about Christianity that didn't make sense to me. I believe there is a God, but more in the vein of Intelligent Design. I see a lot of problems with formalized religion, both past and present and question whether they do more good or cause more harm in the world.
It doesn't require religion, it requires faith. It is that simple. No doctrines, no Jeremiah's deceiving you...it is about a relationship between you and God.

And don't confuse faith with religion. Religion is an organized group of people who preach a doctrine, not faith. Religion perverts the word of God, faith defines it.

Again, ignore the Jeremiah's...she perverts religion with hate and nonsense.

Whatever gives you the idea that faith in God requires religion?

Religion is man's interpretation of what and who God is. I may disagree with many of them.

Religion is a set of beliefs--which you seem to have. Are you asking about gathering and worshiping as a community?

No, I'm talking about how many people have a formal religion as part of their identity whether it is Christion, Muslim, Jewish, etc. It is much more than just gathering and worshipping as a community.

I personally don't but certainly Christians and Muslims believe it, and further they believe that only their specific religion is the "right" one.

No, I'm talking about how many people have a formal religion as part of their identity whether it is Christion, Muslim, Jewish, etc. It is much more than just gathering and worshipping as a community.
Again, you are confusing faith with religion. We don't pray because of religion...we pray because of our faith. Religion is political and organizational and has nothing to do with faith.

Were you raised Catholic?

I personally don't but certainly Christians and Muslims believe it, and further they believe that only their specific religion is the "right" one.
Well of course they do. What would the point be in following the religion if they DIDN'T believe that?

Well of course they do. What would the point be in following the religion if they DIDN'T believe that?
Are you one that puts religion above faith, S.J.

You'll never get to heaven without abiding by a bunch of crazy rules and rituals.

You'll never get to heaven without abiding by a bunch of crazy rules and rituals.
That is so untrue. Usually the opinion of those who have the need to organization as opposed to faith and personal relationships. Many times the opinion of those who have fallen victim to the man made hierarchy and rules (religion). The Catholic Church is responsible for this misrepresentation and deception of believers. Religion is a pursuit for power....faith is a pursuit of peace and an inseparable relationship with Christ (if you are a Christian).

This is why Catholicism is not Christianity...the Catholic Church usurps personal relationships with rules and doctrine.

No, religion is about rules and conduct. I don't think they speak for God.

No, religion is about rules and conduct. I don't think they speak for God.
I agree...but I do think it is important to attend a church . I am not a big fan of a lot of churches...it usually takes me a while to find a home church...and as soon as I see any politics or nonsense, I look for a new church. Too many churches are nothing more than a modern day bazaar of networking and status building.

Religion is a set of beliefs in which an individual most closely identifies, and also relates something about self. I have lived most of my life in California. The years I lived in the mid-west and Texas, I learned to say I was born in Idaho, not that I grew up in California. The reason for this is that many people a stereotypical view of California based on the beach, L.A., and Hollywood, that it said nothing about someone who lived in a small town in northern California. "Idaho" was the more apt description of me.

"Catholic" also describes me to people who know Catholics. For those who hold a bias against Catholic, it tells them nothing about me, but it tells me something about them--so it all works out.

Our professions also are a quick summary of self. But do we have to have a profession as part of our identity? No. But people usually do.

Religion is a set of beliefs in which an individual most closely identifies, and also relates something about self. I have lived most of my life in California. The years I lived in the mid-west and Texas, I learned to say I was born in Idaho, not that I grew up in California. The reason for this is that many people a stereotypical view of California based on the beach, L.A., and Hollywood, that it said nothing about someone who lived in a small town in northern California. "Idaho" was the more apt description of me.

"Catholic" also describes me to people who know Catholics. For those who hold a bias against Catholic, it tells them nothing about me, but it tells me something about them--so it all works out.

Our professions also are a quick summary of self. But do we have to have a profession as part of our identity? No. But people usually do.
I have never met a Catholic more interested with their relationship with God as opposed to following the rules of the Catholic Church (or breaking those rules as most Catholics do).

Forum List

Back