Why do you lean politically the way you do?

I have been on this board for a while now and I am just curious why people lean a certain way?

For me: I live in Brookline (essentially Boston) MA, a large Jewish community, pretty close to Fenway and the easily accessible to downtown Boston. I am a father of two kids (11 and 13) both girls. I run a decent sized financial advisory services business. Born in Oct. 1980, I am old, tired and live for my wife and kids. I have always been an independent but a young college kid in NC, I leaned very left and in my fist eligible election, I voted for the inventor of the Internet, Al Gore. He lost. I then voted for John Kerry, he lost. I then voted for John McCAin, not because I didn't like BHO but because I will always vote for a veteran over a non-vet, McCain lost. See the pattern...in the 2012 election I was on the fence but by then I was a father a didn't like BHO's spending so I voted for Romney (he lost). I never got involved in local politics but I did vote against Liz Warren. My parents, Jewish immigrants from the old Soviet Union, who came here in the mid 70s were always staunch Democrats. Ted Kennedy made it possible for them to come here an voted strictly Democrat until 2016 when they completely switched to the GOP and voted for Trump citing the Left's overt anti Israel views.

I voted for Trump in 2016 as I just needed something other than HRC's nagging voice and lies. You don't accidentally bleach a server and smash blackberries and ipads. Story is true:

Also, I had and still have a client who does bleach servers and such for companies and I knew how intricate the process was. Now my kids are growing up and being told they have white privilege. Told they have racial bias. Told they need to use gender neutral pronouns. Told that trans girls may compete in sports against them. Of course that made me lose my mind a bit (as you can gather from my many posts on USMB). That being said I remain an Independent. I am not overly religious, although I will defend the Jewish faith, culture and support of Israel very strongly. Why? I owe it to my ancestors who died in the Holocaust and fighting the Nazis. My dad lost his entire family sans one sister and my mom was a bit luckier but still lost about 90%. I now see how much impact we can have in Town Elections if we band together, hence I appreciate small Gov't over large Gov't. I do like and appreciate programs that help the unfortunate and I believe our healthcare program is super inefficient and costly. The Democrats at least try to attack it. That being said, more and more I find myself on the same page as the GOP sans the need for endless wars. I like small gov't fiscal policies, strong military, strong border security, America first rhetoric, pro more vs. less policing (reform is necessary), pro Israel and pro freedom of speech. But I remain an Independent and not at service to any party.

My perfect 2024 ticket would be Dan Crenshaw/Tulsi Gabbard. Both served in the military, very bright, fairly young, energetic, and not divisive in my view.

Which way do you lean and why? What is your story?

Please share only if you're comfortable.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Wow
You have rarely ever divulged any information about yourself and are very secretive.
While I tell way too much lol
I tell it all !!

You being a father : how do you explain this upside down world to your 2 kids ??

I have been on this board for a while now and I am just curious why people lean a certain way?

For me: I live in Brookline (essentially Boston) MA, a large Jewish community, pretty close to Fenway and the easily accessible to downtown Boston. I am a father of two kids (11 and 13) both girls. I run a decent sized financial advisory services business. Born in Oct. 1980, I am old, tired and live for my wife and kids. I have always been an independent but a young college kid in NC, I leaned very left and in my fist eligible election, I voted for the inventor of the Internet, Al Gore. He lost. I then voted for John Kerry, he lost. I then voted for John McCAin, not because I didn't like BHO but because I will always vote for a veteran over a non-vet, McCain lost. See the pattern...in the 2012 election I was on the fence but by then I was a father a didn't like BHO's spending so I voted for Romney (he lost). I never got involved in local politics but I did vote against Liz Warren. My parents, Jewish immigrants from the old Soviet Union, who came here in the mid 70s were always staunch Democrats. Ted Kennedy made it possible for them to come here an voted strictly Democrat until 2016 when they completely switched to the GOP and voted for Trump citing the Left's overt anti Israel views.

I voted for Trump in 2016 as I just needed something other than HRC's nagging voice and lies. You don't accidentally bleach a server and smash blackberries and ipads. Story is true:

Also, I had and still have a client who does bleach servers and such for companies and I knew how intricate the process was. Now my kids are growing up and being told they have white privilege. Told they have racial bias. Told they need to use gender neutral pronouns. Told that trans girls may compete in sports against them. Of course that made me lose my mind a bit (as you can gather from my many posts on USMB). That being said I remain an Independent. I am not overly religious, although I will defend the Jewish faith, culture and support of Israel very strongly. Why? I owe it to my ancestors who died in the Holocaust and fighting the Nazis. My dad lost his entire family sans one sister and my mom was a bit luckier but still lost about 90%. I now see how much impact we can have in Town Elections if we band together, hence I appreciate small Gov't over large Gov't. I do like and appreciate programs that help the unfortunate and I believe our healthcare program is super inefficient and costly. The Democrats at least try to attack it. That being said, more and more I find myself on the same page as the GOP sans the need for endless wars. I like small gov't fiscal policies, strong military, strong border security, America first rhetoric, pro more vs. less policing (reform is necessary), pro Israel and pro freedom of speech. But I remain an Independent and not at service to any party.

My perfect 2024 ticket would be Dan Crenshaw/Tulsi Gabbard. Both served in the military, very bright, fairly young, energetic, and not divisive in my view.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Wow
You have rarely ever divulged any information about yourself and are very secretive.
I tell it all !!

You being a father : how do you explain this upside down world to your 2 kids ??

I tell them to do their best to be good people and do your very best to be kind and not offend anyone. I then say try even harder not to be easily offended. Then I pass to my wife. LOL

Just for the record !! I am only half mentally Ill

I am not conservative on every issue ; it’s just that the Dems have become the party of 1955 USSR

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Wow
I tell it all !!

I tell them to do their best to be good people and do your very best to be kind and not offend anyone. I then say try even harder not to be easily offended. Then I pass to my wife. LOL

Have you and your family ever gone to Israel ??
Even your parents are switched to Gop ?
Do you speak Russian ??

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Wow
I tell it all !!

Do you speak Russian ??

1) No but my parents go frequently. Have family there.

2) Correct. Odd as for most of my life they were staunch Democrats.

3) Yes. But poorly. I understand it very well.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Wow
I tell it all !!

Do you speak Russian ??

1) No but my parents go frequently. Have family there.

2) Correct. Odd as for most of my life they were staunch Democrats.

3) Yes. But poorly. I understand it very well.

You have never been to Israel or Russia ??
I hope you go soon

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Wait... you were born in 1980 and you think you're old? You better learn to suck it up because it just gets tougher...

Growing old ain't for pussies...

As for why I lean the way I do, it just seems like common sense to me. My parents never tried to influence my political beliefs, politics was not a topic of discussion in the house. I tend to lean slightly right of center, some might say libertarian-ish. I have voted for candidates that span the political spectrum, as long as I believed they were the best candidate. I have voted for, and against, proposals that appeal to many different political beliefs if I thought they were the right thing to do.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Good story.

Just a question. Why do so many Jews support Democrats? You would think that if anybody they would be strong Conservatives.

I grew up in a small Southern city. We had several Jewish families in the community. In most ways they had the same Conservative values as everybody else in the Community. However, they seem to always vote Liberal.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Wait... you were born in 1980 and you think you're old? You better learn to suck it up because it just gets tougher...

Growing old ain't for pussies...

As for why I lean the way I do, it just seems like common sense to me. My parents never tried to influence my political beliefs, politics was not a topic of discussion in the house. I tend to lean slightly right of center, some might say libertarian-ish. I have voted for candidates that span the political spectrum, as long as I believed they were the best candidate. I have voted for, and against, proposals that appeal to many different political beliefs if I thought they were the right thing to do.

Thanks

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Good story.

Just a question. Why do so many Jews support Democrats? You would think that if anybody they would be strong Conservatives.

I grew up in a small Southern city. We had several Jewish families in the community. In most ways they had the same Conservative values as everybody else in the Community. However, they seem to always vote Liberal.

Cause my people can’t get out of their own way. They always feel badly for those who are deemed to be struggling and believe that the Democrats share more with the poor than the GOP. The 2nd part is they are deathly afraid that what happened in the Holocaust could happen again (older Jews) and believe under Democrats rule that is less likely. Lastly, we are self destructive people in many ways hence we have been through the ringer for thousands of years. We can’t even all agree to stand behind Israel.

I grew up in a Southern community. Back when Florida was a real Southern state instead of being an overflow of New York.

I was taught Conservative values by my family and everybody around me. Instead of going to college right after High School I joined the military. Vietnam veteran. When I got out in 1970 and went to college stuying Engineering I mostly hung out with fellow veterans instead of the filthy hippies that were so prevalent back then.

Married a Conservative School Teacher. Went to work in the mostly Conservative aerospace industry.

Rasied my two sons with Conservative values. One of them is an Iraqi War combat veteran.

Back in 1968 the first person I voted for President was George Wallace, mainly because his wife was a family friend.

My parents were Dixiecrats. They voted against Republicans because the Republicans were the party of Lincoln. (My great, great great grandfather was a Confederate soldier.) However, by the 1960s they understood that the Democrat Party was filth.

I have never voted for a Democrat and never will. I did not vote for either the RINOs McCain or Romney. I voted Libertarian in those elections.

The 2nd part is they are deathly afraid that what happened in the Holocaust could happen again (older Jews) and believe under Democrats rule that is less likely.

This is what is so frustrating. Conservatives are much more likely to protect individual Liberties. I guess like a lot of other people Jews have been brainwashed by the lying Left.

The 2nd part is they are deathly afraid that what happened in the Holocaust could happen again (older Jews) and believe under Democrats rule that is less likely.

This is what is so frustrating. Conservatives are much more likely to protect individual Liberties. I guess like a lot of other people Jews have been brainwashed by the lying Left.
Yep. My parents only switched recently themselves and they are 70 and 64, respectively.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

I started out from the family party...the democrat party. Grand parents were FDR democrats, parents were JFK democrats. I voted for Bill Clinton the first time......

Then, I heard about his guy Rush Limbaugh...he was a right wing nut, rude to guests, the radio version of Morton Downey Jr. if anyone remembers that guy.

So...to hear what the bad guys were saying so I could argue against them, I started listening to Limbaugh.....and found out he wasn't rude, he covered things that when I searched for them in the democrat party media, they weren't covered...and he made sense. He wasn't the racist the democrats said he was, he was polite, fair and funny.

In college, my history class included reading David Horowitz's book "Destructive Generation." The story in that book that caught my attention was the death of his friend at the hand of the Black Panthers....how he and his buddy had supported the Black Panthers, helped the black panthers, and thought the police were fascists and republicans were horrible.....then, they lent their Accountant to the Black Panthers to help them with their books for one of their schools they ran. She was later found murdered and floating in the bay. When they went to the police, the desk cop said...yeah, we know who did it...but guys like you two have been busting our chops for so long, there is no way we can go after them.........

Horowitz believes the Black Panthers murdered her because she likely found out about their criminal activities....and became a threat.....

another story in that book was about a left wing activist who went to live in a shit hole neighborhood to show that she didn't buy into the racism and classism of society.......she didn't even lock her door at night....and she too was murdered....

I slowly started to see just how insane the left is...how their policies fail.....and how racist they actually are......

On my way into class during my senior year I was listening to the radio when I heard a story about left wingers trying to re-write the story of the bombing of Hiroshima, and other stories like that....making America into the bad guy rather than the murderous Japanese Empire.....

Slowly, I started to see the truth about democrats and the left...

Then I started reading various conservative authors and now 30 some odd years later I am a die hard conservative and Trump voter....

Forum List

Back