Why do teachers always blame the students?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Usually, the teachers that other teachers respect, have this in common, that they blame the students for not fully understanding the curriculum. They also say, that the good student needs no teaching. How does this make sense? Can you achieve a degree or any kind of certificate, by just self teaching and no teachers? And if so, then do teachers want to make themselves redundant? I don't understand. How does this work?

Who said the teachers blame the students. A good student will learn despite a bad teacher but average and low students will excell with good teachers. That's why I feel the best teachers should teach in the inner cities. Those jobs should should pay more exponentially and attract the best we have nationally.

Who said the teachers blame the students. A good student will learn despite a bad teacher but average and low students will excell with good teachers. That's why I feel the best teachers should teach in the inner cities. Those jobs should should pay more exponentially and attract the best we have nationally.
But can a good student learn without any teacher at all, or does he still need a bad teacher at least? Also, I agree with your statement about the inner city teaching.

But can a good student learn without any teacher at all, or does he still need a bad teacher at least? Also, I agree with your statement about the inner city teaching.
Yes. History has proven that people can learn on their own without the help of a teacher. Look at Abraham Lincoln. He had one year of formal education. But his love for reading never dissipated and he was considered a real scholar.

Usually, the teachers that other teachers respect, have this in common, that they blame the students for not fully understanding the curriculum. They also say, that the good student needs no teaching. How does this make sense? Can you achieve a degree or any kind of certificate, by just self teaching and no teachers? And if so, then do teachers want to make themselves redundant? I don't understand. How does this work?

Upon what do you base these claims?

Thread win!

They should also provide personal security for each teacher, since teachers are forbidden from cold-cocking a misbehaving wanna-be thug.

A good student can just follow along with the educational texts and not only understand but internalize the meanings. Even average students can do this without a great deal of help.

The disadvantaged students need a creative and dedicated teacher to understand where the student is educationally, take them where he is and help him progress with different teaching methods, energetic enthusiasm and motivational techniques to help him understand the basic meaning of the material. There is nothing better than finally reaching a student where he reaches a goal and can apply the knowledge. That is why teaching is not a job for the people who just "want a job." It is a profession not for the weak in spirit. Great teachers get their real reward when the student finally "gets it!"

They should also provide personal security for each teacher, since teachers are forbidden from cold-cocking a misbehaving wanna-be thug.
Respect brings respect. I have never had a student want to cold cock me. But, I did appreciate my most difficult students because they have had experiences that bring unwelcome attitudes. Listen and learn from them.

I once had a boy who was in trouble all the time. I sat with him and he divulged much of what he had done. I told him it was not to late to "go straight." He said it was too late. He said he had a rap sheet as long as my arm. He was twelve. I really liked him and actually thought maybe I could help. But after accosting a child in the bathroom, and a litany of other offenses, he was sent to Boys Town. I actually missed talking with him.

Sometimes I thought I could use security from parents but that wasn't often.

Don't overdo it.

Yes. History has proven that people can learn on their own without the help of a teacher. Look at Abraham Lincoln. He had one year of formal education. But his love for reading never dissipated and he was considered a real scholar.
Yes, I heard and there were a lot of these people in the 19th century. Interestingly, there is none in the 21st.

A teacher told me that a good student needs no teacher. That stroke me as a contradiction, coming from a teacher.

Yes, I heard and there were a lot of these people in the 19th century. Interestingly, there is none in the 21st.
education is not as valued as it was historically. It has been tainted with social engineering at the expense of academics.

A teacher told me that a good student needs no teacher. That stroke [sic] me as a contradiction, coming from a teacher.

One teacher told you this, once?

And how about the other claims?

education is not as valued as it was historically. ....

Yes it is.

Yes it is.
Sports are more important to the "good parent." They often spend more time teaching their kids how to throw a curve ball than actually take a look at their homework and start a discussion on what they are learning. As a nation, we often find that we've failed our children. Look at the millennials. The parents support them with expensive phones and time in batting cages instead of creating a dialogue with how they can improve their grades. The one with the most electronic toys and trophies "win" the game and lose their future.

Yes it is.
Sports are more important to the "good parent." They often spend more time teaching their kids how to throw a curve ball than actually take a look at their homework and start a discussion on what they are learning. As a nation, we often find that we've failed our children. Look at the millennials. The parents support them with expensive phones and time in batting cages instead of creating a dialogue with how they can improve their grades. The one with the most electronic toys and trophies "win" the game and lose their future.

That's an empty generalization based on your frustration with a perception of an entire generation. Keep some perspective.

Yes it is.

That's an empty generalization based on your frustration with a perception of an entire generation. Keep some perspective.
Actually, there's 3 kinds of parents...poverty living where many are living through existing crisis and sometimes the children cannot be their priority. They love them, but find their daily living is more important than seeing the future for the children, the middle class who can perceive their child's future. They may be struggling, but want better for their kids and the "elite parent" who feels that the extra tutoring time is taking up time from their kid's tennis lessons.*

That is when the teacher should be the Great Motivator and be able to move the kids closer to reaching their potential.

* That is not to say, that the parents are "lost" for good. Treat them as your second educational opportunity and keep them abreast of the good their child does in school. Let them know when they have done a good job bringing up their children.

There are not "3 kinds of parents," there are 3 million kinds. Generalizations are generally worthless.

Forum List

Back