Why do supporters of legalized abortion call themselves "pro-choice" instead of "pro-abortion"?

suplex3000

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2014
Georgia
The use of this sort of euphemism suggests to me that abortion supporters themselves aren't entirely convinced of the merits of their position. If abortion isn't wrong, why don't they feel comfortable with the term "pro-abortion"?

I acknowledge that the same could be said of anti-abortion being called "pro-life". I personally find that term corny as well, and generally do not use it to refer to myself.

I'm not pro abortion. I'd love to see zero abortions. Abortion isn't desirable.

My method for realizing zero abortions is different than yours. It's also better than yours and more likely to succeed. It has already proven to be more effective in reducing the number of abortions.

You won't find a single person who is pro abortion. That's a fucking stupid thing for you to say....even if you couch it in such a sweet and innocent OP.

Try harder.

The use of this sort of euphemism suggests to me that abortion supporters themselves aren't entirely convinced of the merits of their position. If abortion isn't wrong, why don't they feel comfortable with the term "pro-abortion"?

I acknowledge that the same could be said of anti-abortion being called "pro-life". I personally find that term corny as well, and generally do not use it to refer to myself.

You don't have to drink to believe that alcohol should be legal.

In 2009 the Russian abortion rate was 74 abortions to every 100 births. That is almost 1 abortion for every birth.

In America it is 228 abortions to every 1000 births.

The Russians should permit the Americans to adopt their children rather than murdering their unborn children.

Tell your motherland that, Supplex3000.

Last edited:

My method for realizing zero abortions is different than yours. It's also better than yours and more likely to succeed. It has already proven to be more effective in reducing the number of abortions.

You won't find a single person who is pro abortion. That's a fucking stupid thing for you to say....even if you couch it in such a sweet and innocent OP.

Try harder.

Planned Parenthood disagrees with you, and would go out of business if that were true!

Obviously because it wouldn't be accurate. "Choice" means a selection between options, whereas "pro-abortion" would mean there is no other option. "Pro-choice" means to be in favour of the individual having the choice rather than under control by the State.

Both labels "pro-choice" and "pro-life" are equally disingenuous. The former implies its opposite is "anti-choice" (whereas that opposite doesn't believe a choice exists); the latter implies its opposite is "anti-life" (whereas that opposite doesn't believe a life exists). Both imply a falsehood about their counterpart. And as long as that kind of rhetoric prevails, understanding and compromise will be effectively shut down.

But as others already noted, there's no such thing as "pro-abortion". That would mean not procreating at all.

Should be Pro-murder.

Obviously because it wouldn't be accurate. "Choice" means a selection between options, whereas "pro-abortion" would mean there is no other option. "Pro-choice" means to be in favour of the individual having the choice rather than under control by the State.

Both labels "pro-choice" and "pro-life" are equally disingenuous. The former implies its opposite is "anti-choice" (whereas that opposite doesn't believe a choice exists); the latter implies its opposite is "anti-life" (whereas that opposite doesn't believe a life exists). Both imply a falsehood about their counterpart. And as long as that kind of rhetoric prevails, understanding and compromise will be effectively shut down.

But as others already noted, there's no such thing as "pro-abortion". That would mean not procreating at all.
Pro choice means some baby is murdered.

Abortion has nothing to do with procreation. It has to do with destroying what was procreated.

--- and the last three absolutist posts illustrate the bolded perfectly.

Try harder.

:iagree:

NObody is actually "pro-Abortion". Pro-Choice means exactly that, it's your choice. No one should make you have an abortion you don't want, and no one is going to force you to have a baby you aren't willing to have.

I agree, "Pro-Life" is corny. But "Stupid Religious Dickweeds who get manipulated into voting against their own economic interests" is a bit clumsy, if more accurate.

Forum List

Back