What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do supporters of legalized abortion call themselves "pro-choice" instead of "pro-abortion"?

suplex3000

VIP Member
Reaction score
The use of this sort of euphemism suggests to me that abortion supporters themselves aren't entirely convinced of the merits of their position. If abortion isn't wrong, why don't they feel comfortable with the term "pro-abortion"?

I acknowledge that the same could be said of anti-abortion being called "pro-life". I personally find that term corny as well, and generally do not use it to refer to myself.

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm not pro abortion. I'd love to see zero abortions. Abortion isn't desirable.

My method for realizing zero abortions is different than yours. It's also better than yours and more likely to succeed. It has already proven to be more effective in reducing the number of abortions.

You won't find a single person who is pro abortion. That's a fucking stupid thing for you to say....even if you couch it in such a sweet and innocent OP.

Try harder.

NYcarbineer

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The use of this sort of euphemism suggests to me that abortion supporters themselves aren't entirely convinced of the merits of their position. If abortion isn't wrong, why don't they feel comfortable with the term "pro-abortion"?

I acknowledge that the same could be said of anti-abortion being called "pro-life". I personally find that term corny as well, and generally do not use it to refer to myself.

You don't have to drink to believe that alcohol should be legal.

deltex1

Gold Member
Reaction score
It separates the decision from the deed. Keeps hands clean while baby is slaughtered. Everyone wins...except the baby.

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Reaction score
It separates the decision from the deed. Keeps hands clean while baby is slaughtered. Everyone wins...except the baby.
:bsflag:

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Reaction score
In 2009 the Russian abortion rate was 74 abortions to every 100 births. That is almost 1 abortion for every birth.

In America it is 228 abortions to every 1000 births.

The Russians should permit the Americans to adopt their children rather than murdering their unborn children.

Tell your motherland that, Supplex3000.

Last edited:

deltex1

Gold Member
Reaction score

deltex1

Gold Member
Reaction score
In 2009 the Russian abortion rate was 74 abortions to every 100 births. That is almost 1 abortion for every birth. How tragic.
That's why they are un- fucking themselves out of existence.

Vigilante

Diamond Member
Reaction score

My method for realizing zero abortions is different than yours. It's also better than yours and more likely to succeed. It has already proven to be more effective in reducing the number of abortions.

You won't find a single person who is pro abortion. That's a fucking stupid thing for you to say....even if you couch it in such a sweet and innocent OP.

Try harder.

Planned Parenthood disagrees with you, and would go out of business if that were true!

Pogo

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Obviously because it wouldn't be accurate. "Choice" means a selection between options, whereas "pro-abortion" would mean there is no other option. "Pro-choice" means to be in favour of the individual having the choice rather than under control by the State.

Both labels "pro-choice" and "pro-life" are equally disingenuous. The former implies its opposite is "anti-choice" (whereas that opposite doesn't believe a choice exists); the latter implies its opposite is "anti-life" (whereas that opposite doesn't believe a life exists). Both imply a falsehood about their counterpart. And as long as that kind of rhetoric prevails, understanding and compromise will be effectively shut down.

But as others already noted, there's no such thing as "pro-abortion". That would mean not procreating at all.

AvgGuyIA

Gold Member
Reaction score

Should be Pro-murder.

AvgGuyIA

Gold Member
Reaction score

Obviously because it wouldn't be accurate. "Choice" means a selection between options, whereas "pro-abortion" would mean there is no other option. "Pro-choice" means to be in favour of the individual having the choice rather than under control by the State.

Both labels "pro-choice" and "pro-life" are equally disingenuous. The former implies its opposite is "anti-choice" (whereas that opposite doesn't believe a choice exists); the latter implies its opposite is "anti-life" (whereas that opposite doesn't believe a life exists). Both imply a falsehood about their counterpart. And as long as that kind of rhetoric prevails, understanding and compromise will be effectively shut down.

But as others already noted, there's no such thing as "pro-abortion". That would mean not procreating at all.
Pro choice means some baby is murdered.

deltex1

Gold Member
Reaction score

Abortion has nothing to do with procreation. It has to do with destroying what was procreated.

Pogo

Diamond Member
Reaction score

--- and the last three absolutist posts illustrate the bolded perfectly.

Seawytch

Information isnt Advocacy
Reaction score

Try harder.

:iagree:

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Reaction score

NObody is actually "pro-Abortion". Pro-Choice means exactly that, it's your choice. No one should make you have an abortion you don't want, and no one is going to force you to have a baby you aren't willing to have.

I agree, "Pro-Life" is corny. But "Stupid Religious Dickweeds who get manipulated into voting against their own economic interests" is a bit clumsy, if more accurate.

I.P.Freely

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am totally pro a women's right to abort.

Last edited:

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$201.00
Goal
$350.00

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List