Why Do People Mistake Narcissism for High Self-Esteem?

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
I've often wondered this myself..as to why confident, self-centered a'holes are so damn popular!

Why Do People Mistake Narcissism for High Self-Esteem? - Scientific American - Pocket

"The "charismatic air" of narcissists-- from their flashy attire, to their self-assured behaviors, to their charming glances, to their witty humor-- often makes a big first impression..... Which raises an interesting question: why are narcissists-- which are characterized by extremely high levels of exhibitionism, arrogance, sense of superiority, vanity, entitlement, exploitativeness, and the incessant need for acclaim from others-- so attractive?

Canadian researchers Miranda Giacomin and Christian Jordan thought there might be more than meets the narcissistic eye. To shed further light on the allure of narcissism, they examined whether narcissists make positive first impressions because people may confuse narcissism for high self-esteem....

...Those with a healthy self-esteem believe they are worthy and competent, and strive for intimate, meaningful connections with others, but do not necessarily see themselves as superior to others. In contrast, narcissists think they are superior to others, but they don't necessarily view themselves as worthy. Indeed, because they often lack an inner stable sense of self-security, the narcissists' sense of self-esteem is often almost entirely dependent on the validation of others. Could it be that people are confusing the two?

This is just what the researchers found. People who scored high in narcissism and self-esteem were perceived as having higher self-esteem than people who were equally high in self-esteem but less narcissistic. They even looked at dating profiles and found that heterosexual female participants indicated greater interest in meeting males who were more narcissistic based on their Tinder profile pictures, and this effect was specifically explained by higher perception of self-esteem, not narcissism. These results suggest that perceptions of narcissism were being overridden by the positive effect of perceptions of self-esteem on liking."

Ever since I was a boy I wondered why girls seem to like the arrogant butt-heads more! This goes some distance in explaining that.

Our beloved Pres.Trump exhibits a high level of self-esteem. .. :thup:
Well..is he quietly confident or is he arrogant, blustery and loud? Does he see himself as superior to others or is he humble in his shared humanity? Is his sense of self-esteem dependent on the opinion of other people? Is he quick to take offense at little things? Does he need a constant stream of positive reassurance?

I think we all know the answers to these questions.

Some people can back up such high self-esteem. Some can't.

Consider the empty suit that preceded Trump, for instance.

I would note with amusement that this is not the political forum..and that just using the word 'narcissism' seems to be a red flag?
To a certain 'type', anyway.

How does one 'back-up' high self-esteem? This thread is about the difference between narcissism and high self-esteem and how people are often confused by the two.
Any thoughts on that?

Narcissism was a primary issue of recent discussion concerning the last two presidents, so the political connection is the simplest illustration.

Narcissism was a primary issue of recent discussion concerning the last two presidents, so the political connection is the simplest illustration.
HuH! I don't recall any such discussion as regards the Obama Presidency....must have missed it.

Anyway..this thread is more about us as people..and less about the current political contretemps.

How does one 'back-up' high self-esteem? This thread is about the difference between narcissism and high self-esteem and how people are often confused by the two.
Any thoughts on that?

A clearly definable record of positive achievement.

Of course those who are narcissistic do not by default have such a record, as illustrated by the previously-noted "empty suit".

Therein lies the difference.

LOL! It's like you guys just can't help yourselves! Too funny!

Achievement has nothing to do with the subject at hand..nothing. I would point out that being narcissistic is no bar to achievement..and having high self-esteem is no guarantee of success.

HuH! I don't recall any such discussion as regards the Obama Presidency....must have missed it.

Quite a miss. It went on for nine years, and continues to this day.
Well...I understand that the subject..as regards Trump....is indeed on the tip of everyone's tongue...but prior to his (Trump's) coming onto the scene..i don't recall the subject ever being raised as regards Obama. Oh well..again..not really the focus of this thread that you idiots are doing your best to hijack,,,LOL

Well...I understand that the subject..as regards Trump....is indeed on the tip of everyone's tongue...but prior to his coming onto the scene..i don't recall the subject ever being raised as regards Obama. Oh well..again..not really the focus of this thread that you idiots are doing your best to hijack,,,LOL

The focus of the thread appears to be impressions of high-esteem v. narcissism.

Are you placing limits on the areas of discussion because you missed 9+ years of history?

Well...I understand that the subject..as regards Trump....is indeed on the tip of everyone's tongue...but prior to his coming onto the scene..i don't recall the subject ever being raised as regards Obama. Oh well..again..not really the focus of this thread that you idiots are doing your best to hijack,,,LOL

The focus of the thread appears to be high-esteem v. narcissism.

Are you placing limits on the areas of discussion because you missed 9+ years of history?
Whatever dude. I missed nothing..and I think you are full of shit. I was being a bit sarcastic...when I said I must have missed it..as it never was an issue until Trump entered the scene.

Nope..no limits...but again i note that outside of some political bullshit...you got nothing pertinent to say that's cogent and on-topic. It's obvious that you did not even read the article..but just jerked your knee when you thought that somehow...Trump was involved.

It is the clear definition of the party hack..that everything is grist for your partisan mill and that you literally cannot have a conversation that does not devolve around your obsessions.

The focus of the thread appears to be high-esteem v. narcissism.

Whatever dude. I missed nothing..and I think you are full of shit. I was being a bit sarcastic...when I said I must have missed it..as it never was an issue until Trump entered the scene.

Nope..no limits...but again i note that outside of some political bullshit...you got nothing pertinent to say that's cogent and on-topic. It's obvious that you did not even read the article..but just jerked your knee when you thought that somehow...Trump was involved.

It is the clear definition of the party hack..that everything is grist for your partisan mill and that you literally cannot have a conversation that does not devolve around your obsessions.

:auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back