Why do people do this?

News results for spring break deaths
Notre Dame Recruit Matt James Falls To His Death From Hotel ‎ - 23 minutes ago

Matt James, 17 year old high school football star, fell to his death on Friday ... Matt James is just the latest victim of Spring Break and there is no word ...
CMR - 207 related articles »

Officials Stress Seat Belt Safety as Spring Break Begins ‎ - Greenwood Today

MSNBC Cancels Mexico Balcony Death Segment During Spring Break MSNBC Cancels Mexico Balcony Death Segment During Spring Break Date: Sunday, March 21 @ 09:44:41 EST Topic: Mexico Balcony Deaths ...
MSNBC Cancels Mexico Balcony Death Segment During Spring Break - Cached - Similar
19-year-old spring breaker dies after balcony fall | fall, balcony ... Mar 26, 2010 ... It was the first fatal balcony fall during this year's Spring Break — one of the busiest in recent years — and the only such death since ...
19-year-old spring breaker dies after balcony fall | fall, balcony, old - News - Northwest Florida Daily News - Cached
Spring Break: Information Welcome to Panama City Beach Spring Break. This year promises to be the most ... Several deaths have resulted from balcony climbing over the past several ...
interoz.com/springbreak/information.php - Cached
Ohio high school mourns spring-break death of senior who was Notre ... Apr 3, 2010 ... CINCINNATI (AP) — An Ohio high school is mourning the death of a star football player who had been recruited to play at Notre Dame in the ...
http://www.usmessageboard.com/relig...com/.../sns-ap-us-player-dies,0,5220359.story - 49 minutes ago

So accidental deaths is similar to people purposefully driving nails through themselves?

You seriously can't believe this can you?

Last edited:
Why do people do this?

SAN FERNANDO, Philippines — Filipino faithful had themselves nailed to crosses yesterday to remember Jesus Christ’s suffering and death — an annual rite rejected by church leaders in the predominantly Roman Catholic country.

At least 23 people were nailed to crosses in three villages in northern Pampanga Province’s San Fernando city to mark Good Friday, with foreigners banned from taking part this year except as spectators, said Ching Pangilinan, a city tourism officer and one of the organizers.

She said the ban was imposed after some foreigners took part in previous years to make a film or make fun of the rites.

The event yesterday drew more than 10,000 Philippine and foreign spectators, she said.

Many gathered at San Pedro Cutud, a farming village where devotees dressed in robes and tin crowns walked to a dusty mound carrying wooden crosses on their backs. At the mound, men nailed their hands and feet to the crosses.

Devoted Filipinos nailed to crosses - The Boston Globe

At least they didn't do this:

Man Cuts Off His Penis So He Wouldn't Cheat On his Wife Smh. // Current

Why do people do this?

SAN FERNANDO, Philippines — Filipino faithful had themselves nailed to crosses yesterday to remember Jesus Christ’s suffering and death — an annual rite rejected by church leaders in the predominantly Roman Catholic country.

At least 23 people were nailed to crosses in three villages in northern Pampanga Province’s San Fernando city to mark Good Friday, with foreigners banned from taking part this year except as spectators, said Ching Pangilinan, a city tourism officer and one of the organizers.

She said the ban was imposed after some foreigners took part in previous years to make a film or make fun of the rites.

The event yesterday drew more than 10,000 Philippine and foreign spectators, she said.

Many gathered at San Pedro Cutud, a farming village where devotees dressed in robes and tin crowns walked to a dusty mound carrying wooden crosses on their backs. At the mound, men nailed their hands and feet to the crosses.

Maybe it's like cutting...that thing teens do because they feel unworthy.

Whatever causes it, it's sad.

Why do people do this?

I sympathize with You. I feel the same way's about Tattoo's though.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

New meaning to the word, "Nailed".

LOL!
It's been going on for a long time.
I was searching for an old movie yesterday that is haunting me. I think it was Anthony Quinn, Old Mexico. He did the nailed to the cross thing to get the girl, only to find that because He did the nailed to the cross thing He was ineligible to get the girl. LOL. God, I wish I could nail that one down.

1. Could be a tribal bonding ritual, like a rite of passage.
2. I doubt it is driven by commercial tourism, because it costs the people more than they gain from it. But it could be driven by a personal (though misdirected) desire to share or demonstrate the story of Christ to more people. I agree with the Catholic clergy that it sends the wrong message about "ritual sacrifice," which is no longer needed as grace is given freely out of "unconditional love" and not earned by religious acts for public show.
3. It seems from the interviews that the people who participate honestly believe they are expressing either repentance or thanks to God, and that their prayers are answered. Again, I believe there are better ways of repenting and forgiving to receive healing.

These acts seem misguided, but the spirit of the people behind it seems sincere.

Perhaps it is part of their karma that they induce unnecessary suffering on themselves as part of the learning curve of life. For everyone who rejects religion to an extreme degree, there are those who practice religiously to the opposite extreme degree, in diametric balance. Both extremes are unhealthy; until they both ease off, they both continue to exist.

Last edited:
Why do people do this?

I'll venture a guess .... they're a bunch of brainwashed idiots. :eusa_angel:

Why do people do this?

I sympathize with You. I feel the same way's about Tattoo's though.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you mean like this?

You know, where I used to live in New Mexico there was a Catholic group in the mountains that were rumored to do crazy things on Easter.

They didn't let outsiders in, though. In fact, people avoided the place like the plague.

Yes, the Penitente Indians. And those are the ones to which the OP refers, I believe.
Nope. Read the OP. It's about Philippinos, not the American Indians of New Mexico.

One thing both groups have in common though, is they are influenced by Spanish colonial culture. When you consider the Inquisition and how Spain was at onetime in the grip of a particularly sadistic form of Catholicism, you do wonder if this cruel practice of reenacting Christ's crucifixion is a remnant of that mindset.

You know, where I used to live in New Mexico there was a Catholic group in the mountains that were rumored to do crazy things on Easter.

They didn't let outsiders in, though. In fact, people avoided the place like the plague.

Yes, the Penitente Indians. And those are the ones to which the OP refers, I believe.
Nope. Read the OP. It's about Philippinos, not the American Indians of New Mexico.

One thing both groups have in common though, is they are influenced by Spanish colonial culture. When you consider the Inquisition and how Spain was at onetime in the grip of a particularly sadistic form of Catholicism, you do wonder if this cruel practice of reenacting Christ's crucifixion is a remnant of that mindset.

I agree it seems cruel. It is voluntary. Has anyone ever been interviewed who's had his hands nailed to a cross?

Don't You think it is rather obvious?

religious people are crazy. american christians are too lazy to do it properly though. all throughout the world people re-enact jesus's trials and suffering

So the majority of the world is crazy?

The non-believers have cornered the "sane" market?

I don't think so.

We were stationed in the Philippines and I saw them do this. TO them it is a great honor and the same people usually do it year after year.

Filipino's are very proud people. They do not do this to put themselves up on Jesus level but it is their way to do their penance. Just like some fast, or other rituals the Filipino do this. The ones that do this, do it year after year so the ones that are nailed have holes so it doesn't hurt them. It did the first few times but they felt that was the least they could do to show their honor to God to show they are sorry for their sins.

I heard about it and asked my house girl to take me to see one year. She told me that not many outsiders go because to them it was just something really personal to them.

I suppose since then some found away to get a few bucks to feed their families.

Me, I have my own opinion on it but won't judge it either for that is between them and God.

To non believers of course you would call them crazy, heck you all think anyone who reads the bible or go to church are crazy.

Forum List

Back