Why Do Many People Say "WHY are you (your political affiliation) if you are not .."??

Lady_Godiva

Sep 24, 2011
HI, I am new and sorry if I didn't make sense in the title.

I was at a party last night and I try not to talk politics in mixed company but someone had brought it up.

The comment was "Why are you are Republican? You are not rich!"

Really?

How can someone have this misconception?

Is that what many people believe? Cause that is not true and not even remotely reasons for me fitting on the moderate part of that niche.

What is up with the stereotypes?

Sad face. :(

Why Do Many People Say "WHY are you (your political affiliation) if you are not .."??

Because humans like to compartmentalize things to make them easier to sort. "That's a republican thing", "This is a democrat thing".

If you get accused of both you might be independent. Of course, you may also be schizophrenic.

It's because MSNBC provides the left with their opinions. They have devolved the requirement for each individual to think for themselves to a 'higher authority', namely St Barack.

Feel sorry for them. They sacrificed intellect for convenience.

It's because MSNBC provides the left with their opinions. They have devolved the requirement for each individual to think for themselves to a 'higher authority', namely St Barack.

Feel sorry for them. They sacrificed intellect for convenience.

I'm not even left and I found that insulting.

FOX.

I tried not to be offended when it was said to me but it really got to me because this person is educated (somewhat).

But at the same time, he lived with his family until he got a job then rented with a roommate and then had collected unemployment for awhile.

I was just kinda disappointed that he had that stereotype and kind of ignorance.

How do you go about combating this in a friendly atmosphere without being rude?

I had been drinking so I had something like "I really hope you are not being completely ignorant, that is not a fair comment".

But I probably would have bit my tongue without drinks.

How to combat? It depends on how deep the brainwash is. A simple "I believe what I believe, sterotypes not being one of them" may work if your friend is not too far gone.

Many of us so-called Republicans do not toe the company line, we are Americans that don't like the idea of someone telling us what to think on certain topics. I'm sure that this is true with Dems as well, but they have hired union thugs to enforce the company line to those that go off the reservation ... Just kidding about that last part (sort of) :)

Try that line and hope that it works. If it doesn't you may have to ban political discussions between you and your freind for the greater good

I was at a party last night and I try not to talk politics in mixed company but someone had brought it up.

Really?

Is that what many people believe? Cause that is not true and not even remotely reasons for me fitting on the moderate part of that niche.

Because logic is not a strong suit of the Democratic Party. Forgive them for their ignorance.

Maybe it's because they haven't really accomplished much other than going to bat for the rich. Don't see prayer brought back to schools, abortion outlawed, welfare dismantled.

Maybe it's because they haven't really accomplished much other than going to bat for the rich. Don't see prayer brought back to schools, abortion outlawed, welfare dismantled.
Yeah. Abolition was such a waste of time, ya know? Civil rights certainly was, too, right?

Moron.

I tried not to be offended when it was said to me but it really got to me because this person is educated (somewhat).

But at the same time, he lived with his family until he got a job then rented with a roommate and then had collected unemployment for awhile.

I was just kinda disappointed that he had that stereotype and kind of ignorance.

I had been drinking so I had something like "I really hope you are not being completely ignorant, that is not a fair comment".

Have reasons for your opinion and learn to express your opinion without trying to pigeon-hole it. Don't take it personal when others feel the need to pigeon-hole your opinion and don't let the pigeon-holing affect your opinion, but remain flexible to new evidence.

Really?

I've been asked the same thing. A simple reply would be to wonder aloud how all these GOPers get elected with so few rich people in America.

The simplicity of the left is often profound. as far as they know, only the Hollywood millionaires are actual liberals, no rich person could possibly support a dem. Oh, and GE doesn't count

:lol:

Thanks again, I can see alot of good rebuttles here without getting equally as aggressive and rude as he was to me.

How to combat? It depends on how deep the brainwash is. A simple "I believe what I believe, sterotypes not being one of them" may work if your friend is not too far gone.

Many of us so-called Republicans do not toe the company line, we are Americans that don't like the idea of someone telling us what to think on certain topics. I'm sure that this is true with Dems as well, but they have hired union thugs to enforce the company line to those that go off the reservation ... Just kidding about that last part (sort of) :)

Try that line and hope that it works. If it doesn't you may have to ban political discussions between you and your freind for the greater good

I really found myself agreeing with this completely, thank you.

Si Mundo, your comments about civil rights that is not a fair or accurate statement.

I did research on Black History and Civil Rights before I graduated college and I was surprised to find out that Democrats at that time, many were against giving rights and property etc.

And the comment above mine, I agree. GE pays no taxes! Argh!

it really a non issue OP. You will find in this world many different types, this political lock step type is mealy a certain type of personality.

if I was you, I would just move on and look for someone else who is far more agile in the discussion of US politics.

You should have thrown your drink in his face. For starters.

Some folks believe that the GOP is mostly the party representing the wealth class.

Based on their positions regarding taxation on the wealthy, they're not entirely wrong.

Thanks again, I can see alot of good rebuttles here without getting equally as aggressive and rude as he was to me.

I really found myself agreeing with this completely, thank you.

Si Mundo, your comments about civil rights that is not a fair or accurate statement.

I did research on Black History and Civil Rights before I graduated college and I was surprised to find out that Democrats at that time, many were against giving rights and property etc.

Ummm, yeah. As I said, the Republicans were the ones who were far more for abolition than the Democrats.

And, the Republicans were more supportive of civil rights than the Democrats.

So, the comment that Republicans haven't done anything worthwhile is a moronic comment. And, your arguing with what I said by fucking confirming what I said, is also moronic.

Last edited:

Because logic is not a strong suit of the Democratic Party. Forgive them for their ignorance.

Yeah. Abolition was such a waste of time, ya know? Civil rights certainly was, too, right?

Moron.

I don't remember you being either this partisan or this mean, Si modo. Do you need a hug?

You should have thrown your drink in his face. For starters.

Violence. :rolleyes: Yeah, now there's an answer with a positive history.....

Forum List

Back