Why do major cities have such a mammoth homeless problem today? Here's one reason.

Where did I say or even infer that homelessness is "boring" to me?

IF you had actually watched the video, you have seen the lawsuit and its effect on homelessness. Why are you so hostile and angry about discussing a solution for the massive problem?

For your reluctant edification.

"In 2005, an unemployed alcoholic called Basil Humphrey enrolled in a rehab program in Boise, Idaho. When Humphrey refused to stop drinking, the rescue mission kicked him out. Those were the rules, and he spent months sleeping outside, as so many do. Eventually, local authorities ticketed him for camping on public property. That was the law."

"The story would have ended there, except that a huge corporate law firm in New York City called Latham & Watkins took an interest in the case on the other side of the country. Now, typically, Latham & Watkins represent Wall Street banks and prominent Democratic officeholders. But the firm wanted to change vagrancy laws to increase homelessness. Why did they want that? We don't know. But the firm filed a lawsuit on Basil Humphrey's behalf against the city of Boise."

"
That suit made it to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. In 2018, the court declared that cities have no right to criminalize homelessness. In fact, the court ruled, cities have an obligation to provide free housing to the homeless at public expense. The Supreme Court later upheld that ruling."

"The case was known as Martin vs. Boise, and it had exactly the effect that Latham & Watkins intended. City officials across the country no longer had an obligation to protect the public and public spaces from drug addicts who decided to live in them."

You can't arrest someone for sleeping on the sidewalk if they have no where else to go.

Why do major cities have such a mammoth homeless problem today? Here's one reason.
You may hate the source but his point is dead on target. Interesting too as I was not aware of the lawsuit.

Please watch and learn!

What is a solution?

This is the least expensive solution...

You can't arrest someone for sleeping on the sidewalk if they have no where else to go.
Actually, you can.

So you wouldn't demand that the city where you live eliminate drug addicts from camping in front of your business? Why would you be paying taxes?

"More than 1 million people are homeless, with approximately 30 percent of these people suffering from mental illness and 50 percent chronically addicted to drugs, alcohol or both. Approximately 70 percent of homeless veterans are estimated to be substance abusers."

Actually, you can.

So you wouldn't demand that the city where you live eliminate drug addicts from camping in front of your business? Why would you be paying taxes?

"More than 1 million people are homeless, with approximately 30 percent of these people suffering from mental illness and 50 percent chronically addicted to drugs, alcohol or both. Approximately 70 percent of homeless veterans are estimated to be substance abusers."

You can't this is what the thread is about, the Supreme Court ruled people have a right to sleep on the sidewalk..

Dude there is no where else for them to go.

Actually, you can.

Interfaith Sanctuary homeless situation at 'crisis level'​

"I was completely overwhelmed with the thought of even twenty people outside, nowhere to go, they were expecting shelter and we simply just didn't have enough room.”

Author: Katija Stjepovic (KTVB)
Published: 6:13 AM MST January 17, 2022
Updated: 6:13 AM MST January 17, 2022
BOISE, Idaho — Interfaith Sanctuary sounded the alarm Saturday, calling on community members to donate sleeping bags for the growing numbers of homeless in the Treasure Valley.
"Boise our homeless issue is at a crisis level right now and we need your help," the shelter wrote on Facebook. "Interfaith Sanctuary Housing Services needs to create more shelter beds to help manage the increased need for shelter.”

You can't this is what the thread is about, the Supreme Court ruled people have a right to sleep on the sidewalk..

Dude there is no where else for them to go.
I pay taxes in order to live a good, safe life. Why are their bad choices forced on me?

If that's the ruling of the USSC, then pass a law that accomplishes what is needed and passes muster.

You may hate the source but his point is dead on target. Interesting too as I was not aware of the lawsuit.

Please watch and learn!

What is a solution?

He pronounces Boise correctly - VERY impressive.

It started in the 1980's, when the DEMOCRATS closed down thousands of mental health hospitals, insane asylums, and mental health homes and clinics all over the country.

All of a sudden, there were a couple million or more people let loose with no place to go.

And over the decades, the DEMOCRATS have made life in this country hell on earth........so much so that pretty much everybody has problems with anxiety, depression, panic attacks, and massive OCD's. And nowhere to go for help. People can't work, they can't pay rent, they end up in the street.
I understand that you may be partially stupid due to your belief in inherent intellectual superiority; the other half is all your fault.

Since when was President Reagan a Democrat???...yeah I know, you don't like being exposed as the dunce you are.

Ronald Reagan's shameful legacy: Violence, the homeless, mental illness​

As president and governor of California, the GOP icon led the worst policies on mental illness in generations​

By DR. E. FULLER TORREY

PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 29, 2013 12:00PM (EDT)​

One month prior to the election, President Carter had signed the Mental Health Systems Act, which had proposed to continue the federal community mental health centers program, although with some additional state involvement. Consistent with the report of the Carter Commission, the act also included a provision for federal grants “for projects for the prevention of mental illness and the promotion of positive mental health,” an indication of how little learning had taken place among the Carter Commission members and professionals at NIMH. With President Reagan and the Republicans taking over, the Mental Health Systems Act was discarded before the ink had dried and the CMHC funds were simply block granted to the states. The CMHC program had not only died but been buried as well. An autopsy could have listed the cause of death as naiveté complicated by grandiosity.

President Reagan never understood mental illness. Like Richard Nixon, he was a product of the Southern California culture that associated psychiatry with Communism.

Reagan was also exposed to the consequences of untreated mental illness through the two sons of Roy Miller, his personal tax advisor. Both sons developed schizophrenia; one committed suicide in 1981, and the other killed his mother in 1983. Despite such personal exposure, Reagan never exhibited any interest in the need for research or better treatment for serious mental illness.

By 1975 board-and-care homes had become big business in California. In Los Angeles alone, there were “approximately 11,000 ex-state-hospital patients living in board-and-care facilities.” Many of these homes were owned by for-profit chains, such as Beverly Enterprises, which owned 38 homes. Many homes were regarded by their owners “solely as a business, squeezing excessive profits out of it at the expense of residents.” Five members of Beverly Enterprises’ board of directors had ties to Governor Reagan; the chairman was vice chairman of a Reagan fundraising dinner, and “four others were either politically active in one or both of the Reagan [gubernatorial] campaigns and/or contributed large or undisclosed sums of money to the campaign.” Financial ties between the governor, who was emptying state hospitals, and business persons who were profiting from the process would also soon become apparent in other states.

Look into the past and the problem always starts with white conservatism...

I pay taxes in order to live a good, safe life. Why are their bad choices forced on me?

If that's the ruling of the USSC, then pass a law that accomplishes what is needed and passes muster.
Yea I know.. But take Boise for example and all the California people moving in and escaping California the housing is through the roof. I have a friend that lives in a homeless shelter for two years now working as a garbage man @$16 an hour, 55 hour weeks he can't find a place to rent

Forum List

Back