Why Do Libs Fail At Talk Radio?

red states rule

May 30, 2006
The reason libs cannot compete against conservative talk show shows is simple

Lack of talent

'Radio Imbalance' is in the Talent
By Rich Lowry

Rush Limbaugh, the conservative talk-radio pioneer, has been called many nasty things before, but never a “structural imbalance.” That’s the fancy term a liberal think tank uses to characterize his success — and to dress up its proposal for counteracting that success through new government regulation.

The report of the Center for American Progress on “The Structural Imbalance of Political Talk Radio” marks the latest phase in liberaldom’s grappling with conservative talk radio. First came the attempts to create a liberal Limbaugh — Mario Cuomo, Jim Hightower, et al. — that fell flat. Then an entire left-wing network, Air America, was founded, and foundered. So there’s only one option left — if you can’t beat them, and you won’t join them, you can agitate for government to regulate them.

for the complete article

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/06/radio_imbalance_is_in_the_tale.html

Why do Republicans fail on TV - Same Reason Lack of Talent.. What the fuck is your point??

You can only blow hot air for so long before the audience loses interest. Conservative talk radio backs up their hot talk with fact.

You can only blow hot air for so long before the audience loses interest. Conservative talk radio backs up their hot talk with fact.

No, actually most talk radio hosts lie a lot and its mostly bullshit.

I like reading conservative articles. A lot of them are intelligent, if misguided in my mind. I don't like conservative radio. It appeals to base emotions, contains numerous flaws both logical and factual, and generally appeals to the lowest common denominator. When Air America came on the air I was disappointed in liberals. I had hoped, with the vast scope of high quality leftist intellectual content out there, that the left did not have to resort to the kind of emotional bullshit seen on talk radio. And then, it failed. And I took heart from this failure, that even though I disagree with liberals much of the time, a lot of them are rabid leftists, that we did not have enough of those idiots to sustain a liberal talk radio station.

I like reading conservative articles. A lot of them are intelligent, if misguided in my mind. I don't like conservative radio. It appeals to base emotions, contains numerous flaws both logical and factual, and generally appeals to the lowest common denominator. When Air America came on the air I was disappointed in liberals. I had hoped, with the vast scope of high quality leftist intellectual content out there, that the left did not have to resort to the kind of emotional bullshit seen on talk radio. And then, it failed. And I took heart from this failure, that even though I disagree with liberals much of the time, a lot of them are rabid leftists, that we did not have enough of those idiots to sustain a liberal talk radio station.

Please point out where Rush Limbaugh lied on purpose.

The usual whine from those who don't like what they're hearing but can't refute it.

The fact is, a show like Limbaugh's contains a few flaws (less than a typical Time magazine article), and a great number of correct, accurate, and relevant facts. Limbaugh usually supports his points well, sprinkling in occasional humor and sarcasm, easily recognized by those who aren't trying to find excuses to dislike him. He occasionally gets it wrong, providing grist for the mills of his desperate opponents, but usually pins them to the wall with merciless facts that are in no way diminished by his occasional mistakes in other areas.

The success of Conservatives at talk radio doesn't prove that Conservatives have won the battle of ideas; Liberals dominate print newspapers and most other avenues of the mainstream media.

Different points of view work differently on different mediums, that's all.

You do not have to be accurate to keep people’s attention. Clowns at a circus keep audiences entertained too. Rush has a history of being technically wrong several times.

See: http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1895

Also see “The Way Things Aren’t”

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=9781565842601#synopses_and_reviews

Recently, the media watch organization FAIR had a novel idea for a stinging response to Rush Limbaugh's reign of error: the truth. The Way Things Aren't documents and corrects over 100 whoppers like these told by The Lyin' King, pitting Limbaugh versus Reality in areas ranging from American history to the environment, health care to rock and roll. It also has features such as "Limbaugh versus Limbaugh" with examples of Limbaugh contradicting himself, cartoons by Garry Trudeau and Tom Tomorrow, seven things you can do about Rush Limbaugh, a postcard to mail to the talkshow host about his Limbecile statements, and a foreword to Limbaughland by Molly Ivins that is as scary as it is funny. If you know a dittohead who needs deprogramming or if you want to see for yourself how far out on a Limbaugh Rush really is, pick up a copy of The Way Things Aren't - it's cheaper than The Way Things Ought to Be, and it's been fact checked.

The success of Conservatives at talk radio doesn't prove that Conservatives have won the battle of ideas; Liberals dominate print newspapers and most other avenues of the mainstream media.

Different points of view work differently on different mediums, that's all.

Yeah, they "work differently" because of who controls them.

You do not have to be accurate to keep people’s attention. Clowns at a circus keep audiences entertained too. Rush has a history of being technically wrong several times.

See: http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1895

Also see “The Way Things Aren’t”

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=9781565842601#synopses_and_reviews

Recently, the media watch organization FAIR had a novel idea for a stinging response to Rush Limbaugh's reign of error: the truth. The Way Things Aren't documents and corrects over 100 whoppers like these told by The Lyin' King, pitting Limbaugh versus Reality in areas ranging from American history to the environment, health care to rock and roll. It also has features such as "Limbaugh versus Limbaugh" with examples of Limbaugh contradicting himself, cartoons by Garry Trudeau and Tom Tomorrow, seven things you can do about Rush Limbaugh, a postcard to mail to the talkshow host about his Limbecile statements, and a foreword to Limbaughland by Molly Ivins that is as scary as it is funny. If you know a dittohead who needs deprogramming or if you want to see for yourself how far out on a Limbaugh Rush really is, pick up a copy of The Way Things Aren't - it's cheaper than The Way Things Ought to Be, and it's been fact checked.

Wow, a whole 100 "whoppers" over about 20 years. That works out to about 5 slip ups per year. Can we say "human"? Critics have been after Rush Limbaugh for years trying to discredit him on a solid basis. However, nobody can prove that Limbaugh is deliberately lying to deceive anyone.

The same thing goes for Ann Coulter. She has been raked over the coals as much as Limbaugh but despite her being "out there" at times, nobody can prove her to be a liar either.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1895

There are some more, just for fun.

Wow, a whole 100 "whoppers" over about 20 years. That works out to about 5 slip ups per year. Can we say "human"? Critics have been after Rush Limbaugh for years trying to discredit him on a solid basis. However, nobody can prove that Limbaugh is deliberately lying to deceive anyone.

No...that was 100 of the most obvious ones. He claimed nicotine wasn't addictive. Thats not a slip up, that is utter stupidity.

Those are just the main ones. He also lied about a protest that was at my school...I happened to watch it because it was about my university and it was pretty apalling.

You think the control just spontaneously appeared?
How did it appear?
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1895

There are some more, just for fun.

No...that was 100 of the most obvious ones. He claimed nicotine wasn't addictive. Thats not a slip up, that is utter stupidity.

Like I said a person is entitled to some slip ups over TWENTY years.

How about reading a whole book of liberal lies just in the LAST YEAR?:eusa_sick:
LibFibs: The Top 100 Liberal Lies of 2007
http://www.libfibs.com/

PS: If you think nicotine is necessarily addictive, what about those people who are able to quit when they want? Not exactly like heroin addicts ya know.

How did it appear?

Are you serious? It appeared because that style of politics appeals more to conservatives while other style of politics appeal more to liberals.

ike I said a person is entitled to some slip ups over TWENTY years.

How about reading a whole book of liberal lies just in the LAST YEAR?

Actually, it was a lot of slip ups.

Wait...you mean people who share the same ideological background as I do, lie? What a concept!

No shit some liberals lie. So do conservatives, libertarians, green party members, capitalists, communists, blacks, whites, inuits, gays, transexuals, frog-fuckers, whatever you want to name.

PS: If you think nicotine is necessarily addictive, what about those people who are able to quit when they want? Not exactly like heroin addicts ya know.

Are you joking? Are you seriously going to claim that nicotine is not addictive?

The reason libs cannot compete against conservative talk show shows is simple

Lack of talent

'Radio Imbalance' is in the Talent
By Rich Lowry

Rush Limbaugh, the conservative talk-radio pioneer, has been called many nasty things before, but never a “structural imbalance.” That’s the fancy term a liberal think tank uses to characterize his success — and to dress up its proposal for counteracting that success through new government regulation.

The report of the Center for American Progress on “The Structural Imbalance of Political Talk Radio” marks the latest phase in liberaldom’s grappling with conservative talk radio. First came the attempts to create a liberal Limbaugh — Mario Cuomo, Jim Hightower, et al. — that fell flat. Then an entire left-wing network, Air America, was founded, and foundered. So there’s only one option left — if you can’t beat them, and you won’t join them, you can agitate for government to regulate them.

for the complete article

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/06/radio_imbalance_is_in_the_tale.html

I think you'll find that in markets where conservative and liberal talkshows go hea to head, the liberal talkers hold their own, and many times beat the conservatives in the ratings. As for Air America, it founded due to a poor business plan, not poor ratings, and they're only one sydicator of liberal talkshows. There is also the Jones Radio Network, and Clear Channel carries a number of them as well. Now that Air America found a new buyer with a solid busness plan, they are doing well in their markets.

The same thing goes for Ann Coulter. She has been raked over the coals as much as Limbaugh but despite her being "out there" at times, nobody can prove her to be a liar either.

There is a difference between a “lie” and a “mistake”. Okay. Unless you can read one’s mind, it is unlikely that you can state that anyone told a lie. I grant you that point. The same applies to liberal personalities like Al Franken, whose book, “Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot”, is very entertaining and insightful. It exposes many lies – mistakes – made by Rush.

There is a difference between a “lie” and a “mistake”. Okay. Unless you can read one’s mind, it is unlikely that you can state that anyone told a lie. I grant you that point. The same applies to liberal personalities like Al Franken, whose book, “Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot”, is very entertaining and insightful. It exposes many lies – mistakes – made by Rush.

"Logic and Mr. Limbaugh" is another good book.

http://www.opencourtbooks.com/books_n/logic_and_mr_limbaugh.htm

Logic and Mr. Limbaugh is both an entertaining introduction to the elements of logic and a serious critique of the practical logic of a major conservative propagandist. Perkins takes 50 examples of logical reasoning from Limbaugh's statements, identifies the logical arguments, and points out the fallacies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back