Why Do Liberal Democrats Think Trump Can't Pardon Himself?

Ofcourse a president can pardon himself...but even if he couldn't...in the last hour of his presidency he resigns, pence is sworn in and pardons Trump.

Easy, simple, and only takes minutes.

You'd still need some charge/conviction to be pardoned. You can't pardon the air.

The liberal media are tripping over each other trying to claim Trump can't pardon himself. There is nothing in the Constitution saying the president can't pardon himself.

---Trump probably can't pardon himself. He may still try---

Barrett refused to tip her hand, and she will be there if this case ever gets to the Supreme Court. Obviously she and others there will be on Trump's side.

---Can Trump Pardon Himself? Barrett Sidesteps What Booker Calls A Live Issue---

It'd be interesting, since (a) a pardon would have to specify what it is he's getting himself pardoned FOR, and (b) a pardon is also an admission of guilt. I don't think Rump does (b).

What charge would he be admitting guilt to?

Exactly. That's the (a) above.

The liberal media are tripping over each other trying to claim Trump can't pardon himself. There is nothing in the Constitution saying the president can't pardon himself.

Barrett refused to tip her hand, and she will be there if this case ever gets to the Supreme Court. Obviously she and others there will be on Trump's side.

---Can Trump Pardon Himself? Barrett Sidesteps What Booker Calls A Live Issue---

why does he need to?

obama didnt......

what crimes has trump committed that he needs to pardon himself?

be honest...if obama ever suggested pardoning himself wouldnt you consider it proof that he committed crimes?
Obama? What crimes did he commit? Was he charged or indicted after he left office?

As for Drumpf, pardoning oneself is an open legal /constitutional question. Not a liberal vs. conservative question aside from the issue of what each side would like to be true.

My guess is that Biden would pardon Trump in accordance with his wish to move on and heal the nation

However , Trumps ass will still be in a sling because NY State is going after him for financial crimes and he is petrified of that because he knows how much shit they have on him and his crime family

I'm pretty sure providing weapons to an enemy is against the law.

Unless you don't consider Mexican drug cartels enemies of the US.

But no, Trump can't pardon himself because as acting president he can't be charged with a crime and he can't pardon himself for a crime he hasn't been charged with.

He tweets too damned much but that's not a crime, yet.
Nixon was pardoned for crimes he hadn’t been charged with.

Nixon was pardoned for crimes he hadn’t been charged with.
NO... The current president said that he had one. He didn't actually have one. All that happened was the current one told any and all people who wanted to charge him not to bother.

So... You are both correct... In a way.

I think you have a much better question to ask yourself - hmm did I just hit rock bottom if I'm making threads like these to excuse Dear Leader?

If Obama or Clinton was trying to pardon himself you rightwingers would bust a vein.

The word, "Blanket," does not appear in the Constitutional language, even. “The President … shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.”

There is a specificity shown. A pardon, "For What?" comes up!

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(Anyone can see how Deut 23: 19-20--timely for Israel--still has apparent basis in the household of Pharaoh, and its subjugation. Then applied, many contend that it led to atrocity-level outcomes!)

So Trump has committed a Federal crime or crimes, then.

Lol I can’t get over how pathetic it is that you are defending Trump pardoning himself.
If it protects him from vindictive libs, he should do it.
Vindictive liberals? There is no one on earth more vindictive than Drumpt

You'd still need some charge/conviction to be pardoned. You can't pardon the air.

You're wrong.

Ford pardoned nixon for anything and everything since the beginning of time up to the moment the pardon was signed.

Now if nixon had comitted a crime after that pardon was signed...then they could charge him.

You're wrong.

Ford pardoned nixon for anything and everything since the beginning of time up to the moment the pardon was signed.

Now if nixon had comitted a crime after that pardon was signed...then they could charge him.
Unless I'm mistaken, and I absolutely could be... There was nothing signed. He just said he would do it.

I think you have a much better question to ask yourself - hmm did I just hit rock bottom if I'm making threads like these to excuse Dear Leader?
If Obama or Clinton was trying to pardon himself you rightwingers would bust a vein.
Trump needs to protect himself from vindictive liberals.

You're wrong.

And he couldn't do that.

Pardoning Nixon (or anybody) for crimes he "may have committed" is completely bogus. What if he had committed murder? And I don't give a shit if nobody had the stones at the time to challenge, it's completely bogus.

Why would he have to?

Pardon himself for what? seems relevant to me.

Why would he have to?
Because the Deep State is out to get him.

Why would he have to?
Because the Deep State is out to get him.

Sounds silly.

No he can't pardon himself....

There was a legal memo written by the Department of Justice's Office of Legal Counsel just days before Nixon's resignation in 1974 that argued a president could not self-pardon.
The Justice Department's position was quite simple: "Under the fundamental rule that no one may be a judge in his own case, it would seem that the question should be answered in the negative."
That's a legal opinion, not law, but much like the opinion that a sitting president can't be charged with a crime, these things take on the feel of precedent. Instead, Nixon's successor and former vice president, Gerald Ford, gave his old boss an unconditional pardon a month later, probably scuttling Ford's own ambition to be elected President.
Ford made an expansive declaration, wiping Nixon's slate clean and handing him "a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9,1974."

The other reason he can't is because the constitution says a pardon is GRANTED by the President, to another person is implied... a grant is not given to oneself.

Forum List

Back