Why do democrats think that their party is honest, efficient and effective ...

Leweman

Gold Member
Aug 5, 2010
yet the "rich" who are just people themselves, are corrupt, wasteful and don't create anything? I mean government officials have control of more money than any group of "rich" people. I just want to gain a perspective on why one group is great and the other so terrible?

yet the "rich" who are just people themselves, are corrupt, wasteful and don't create anything? I mean government officials have control of more money than any group of "rich" people. I just want to gain a perspective on why one group is great and the other so terrible?

Why do democrats think...

They don't think. They feel.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

it's less about party and more about the role of government, especially at the federal level. We also have to remember that like any party, one monolithic set of viewpoints does not represent the entire party.

Lets call the subset of people you are talking about authoritarian progressives. Thier view is that government should be used to reallocate wealth from those who generate to others for the benefit of soceity as a whole. This can be via direct payment, lesser taxes on people at the lower end of the spectrum, increases in the size of government employment, or funding of various charitable type works.

There is also your standard marxist class argument, although diluted down. To them, those who have wealth are not deserving of it. Thier possession of it is from some obvious exploitation of others. Government therefore has to step in and "right the wrongs". To a person of this political view high taxation on the wealthiest people in a given nation is only fair.

What this creates is a situation where government is funded on the backs of a small subset of the population to benefit another segment. This funding is also directed not by those paying for it, but by the government itself. The authoritarian progressive does not have to convince those with the money to part with it, they just have to convince the voting population to force those with the money to part with it.

Democrats aren't saying that the rich are terrible people. Nice hyperbole. They're saying that the rich should contribute more to the country that gave them the opportunities that enabled them to get so rich. Most Americans agree.

Only small slivers of the group of Americans surveyed for a Washington Post/ABC News poll released Wednesday said they support cuts to Medicare and Medicaid — 21 percent and 30 percent, respectively — and cuts to defense spending get the support of 42 percent of those surveyed. Seventy-eight percent of Americans are opposed to Medicare cuts, while 69 percent are opposed to Medicaid cuts.

The potential solution to the debt crisis that gets the strongest support is raising taxes on Americans who make $250,000 or more annually, an idea that Obama campaigned on in 2008, backed away from last year to make a legislative deal with Republicans but has returned to as he’s begun discussing his vision for long-term fiscal responsibility. Of those surveyed, 72 percent said they support tax increases on people with incomes of more than $250,000, including 54 percent who strongly support them. Twenty-seven percent are opposed, including 17 percent strongly.

Read more: Poll: Taxing the rich favored over Medicare cuts - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

Democrats aren't saying that the rich are terrible people. Nice hyperbole. They're saying that the rich should contribute more to the country that gave them the opportunities that enabled them to get so rich. Most Americans agree.

Only small slivers of the group of Americans surveyed for a Washington Post/ABC News poll released Wednesday said they support cuts to Medicare and Medicaid — 21 percent and 30 percent, respectively — and cuts to defense spending get the support of 42 percent of those surveyed. Seventy-eight percent of Americans are opposed to Medicare cuts, while 69 percent are opposed to Medicaid cuts.

The potential solution to the debt crisis that gets the strongest support is raising taxes on Americans who make $250,000 or more annually, an idea that Obama campaigned on in 2008, backed away from last year to make a legislative deal with Republicans but has returned to as he’s begun discussing his vision for long-term fiscal responsibility. Of those surveyed, 72 percent said they support tax increases on people with incomes of more than $250,000, including 54 percent who strongly support them. Twenty-seven percent are opposed, including 17 percent strongly.

Read more: Poll: Taxing the rich favored over Medicare cuts - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

So basically people are saying that they don't want things that affect them taken away, but they are perfectly fine with making someone else pay more for it.

Words like "fair share", "shared sacrifice" and "just a bit more" are all buzzwords for "I want someone else to pay for my crap."

5k-10k years of civilization are we are still stuck on GIMME GIMME GIMME.

So basically people are saying that they don't want things that affect them taken away, but they are perfectly fine with making someone else pay more for it.

Words like "fair share", "shared sacrifice" and "just a bit more" are all buzzwords for "I want someone else to pay for my crap."

Of course I would expect a conservative to interpret the country's sentiments that way. Your only problem is that even most Republicans want the rich to pay more. How much longer can the GOP get away with favoring the rich over the poor when a majority of Americans, including Republicans, want the rich to pay more? How much longer do you think their own base (never mind independents) will continue to support their pro-rich, pro-big-business policies?

Of course I would expect a conservative to interpret the country's sentiments that way. Your only problem is that even most Republicans want the rich to pay more. How much longer can the GOP get away with favoring the rich over the poor when a majority of Americans, including Republicans, want the rich to pay more? How much longer do you think their own base (never mind independents) will continue to support their pro-rich, pro-big-business policies?

its interpreting human nature. Ask a person if they are OK with you taking something away from them, they will say no. Ask them is it's OK if somoene else will pay more for something everyone gets, but they will not pay more, and they will say "Great Idea!"

I also do not trust polls as far as I can throw them. The only polls that count are in November.

hmmmm are you sure the country allowed them to get so rich or that the country got so rich because of them? If you don't like that some people are "have nots" in this country then blame the Federal Reserve.

Anyone who agrees with that is not a real American.

Warren Buffet is not a real American?

I thought he was the poster child for the wealthy investors and an example of free enterprise that the neo-cons hold in high esteem....hummm...

Of course most Americans agree. Their wallets arent the ones being raided.
NOT IN MY BACK YARD syndrome

Uh oh, here come the "real American" accusations. Because it worked out so well for McCain/Palin. But I'll bite. If wanting the rich to pay more in taxes means that a person is not a "real" American, then most Americans (according to you) aren't "real" Americans. That means Republicans, Democrats and Independents, since a majority of all three want the rich to pay more in taxes. Oops, I guess you didn't think that far ahead, huh? :lol::lol::lol:

Warren Buffet is not a real American?

I thought he was the poster child for the wealthy investors and an example of free enterprise that the neo-cons hold in high esteem....hummm...

Don't confuse him. His head might explode.

I don't find either party to be honest, efficient or effective.

This is funny. If I ever hear a lefty or a right winger talk about how honest their party is I laugh. But honestly throughout this board (and I apologize for counting crazies like USAR in this group) but the right wing here seems to believe that the "tea party canidates"' are more than men. Here to save the nation by being principled and loving america.

Its such laughable bullshit that if you replaced the word "tea party" with "Justin Beiber" I would think some of you were pre-pubescent girls.

What makes you think they have any belief that their party is any of those things?

I don't know any Democrats who think the Democratic Party is honest, efficient or effective.

Nor do I know any Democrats who think that the "rich" are evil, either. In fact, most Democrats that I know are "rich" themselves.

So, your premise is faulty from the beginning.

Why do you care about "rich people"? You're not rich.

Because Republicans are corrupt, immoral and inept

Its easy making shit up about the other side isn't it?

Forum List

Back