Why Didn't Mary Just Tell Them?

They were Jewish which means they had Laws to uphold.
Would your parents believe you if you came home from school one day and told them you were preggers but not to worry because it's Gods, how would that story be received?
Mary knew that she was going to live long enough to deliver, so I don't think she was afraid of dying as much as she was simply not believed. It was a sort of shaming and shunning that she experienced. Many called her child illegitimate. It wasn't easy for her, but she was willing to take it all on anyway.

I asked the girls in my youth group if they would say yes like Mary did, and they all raised their hands. Then I told them for every one of you that raised their hands, there is a firing squad in the parking lot. NOW how many would do what Mary did...
Everyone of them raised their hand again. That is faith. Mary was filled with it.
the Sanhedrin has been replaced with a gaggle of girls from sunday school (don't forget
your easter basket---the bunny filled it with jelly beans)

That's not quite how I remember it, though it's been a while since I've read it.

As I remember, Joseph didn't learn what was going on until after it became obvious that Mary was pregnant; and that there were three options available to a man in the position in which he found himself…

1. He could condemn her for adultery, and she would be stoned to death.
  2. He could discretely end the engagement, and she'd be allowed to live.
  3. He could claim the child as his own, continue with the marriage process, and be considered the father of the child.

I remember it being stated that Joseph was of a mind to take that second option, to privately end his engagement to Mary; that it was after being visited by an angel, who told him what was going on, that he decided instead to take the third option, to continue with his marriage to Mary, and to claim and raise the child as his own.
the answer is simple-----Matthew was winging it
Little 14 year old girls who got pregnant without marriage got stoned to death. That girl had guts. She said yes.
And she got shit for it. And, God had to convince Joseph to marry her in spite of the circumstances.
She went to visit her cousin, Elizabeth, who was pregnant with John the Baptist at the time. Elizabeth's husband was a priest and could have condemned Mary on the spot. But that didn't stop her. And this was the result of her trip:

Luke 1:41 …where she entered the home of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb".
you have studied jewish law, ram? in which volume of the talmud did you read
a discussion on pregnancy in unmarried jewish adolescent girls? The TALMUD is
VERY COMPREHENSIVE How long have you been literate in aramaic?

New Topics

Forum List

Back