Why did Obama reference atrocities committed by Christians?

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard
Imo, two reasons. First he knew anything he said that did not equate Islam as not being a religion of peace would set off the far right ... even though W made this point repeatedly... including at the natl cathedral 9-11 service.

Second, and no less nefariously, the history of civil rights. The Klan did this less than fifty years ago in the claim of protecting Christianity from black extremists.

They took these two guys into the woods and whipped them until one of them confessed to something he knew was untrue. They then tied these two guys up, drove them to the Miss. River, chained one of them to weights, and pitched him into the river ... while the other guy was forced to watch. They they did the same to the other guy.

And they were only convicted in 2007.

[URL]http://archive.clarionledger.com/assets/pdf/D011479086.PDF[/URL]

FBI mdash Ex-Klansman Charged in 64 Slayings

I think Obama took the opportunity to bring up the ugly, and fairly recent, pass.

Imo, two reasons. First he knew anything he said that did not equate Islam as not being a religion of peace would set off the far right ... even though W made this point repeatedly... including at the natl cathedral 9-11 service.

Second, and no less nefariously, the history of civil rights. The Klan did this less than fifty years ago in the claim of protecting Christianity from black extremists.

They took these two guys into the woods and whipped them until one of them confessed to something he knew was untrue. They then tied these two guys up, drove them to the Miss. River, chained one of them to weights, and pitched him into the river ... while the other guy was forced to watch. They they did the same to the other guy.

http://archive.clarionledger.com/assets/pdf/D011479086.PDF

I think Obama took the opportunity to bring up the ugly, and fairly recent, pass.

I think you answered your own question, but don't understand its implications. Why take this "opportunity?" For what purpose? More race baiting?

I think you answered your own question, but don't understand its implications. Why take this "opportunity?" For what purpose? More race baiting?

IMHO: It was to reassure the broader Muslim community that we are NOT modern day crusaders who are hell bent on the destruction of Islam and that terrorists DO NOT represent Islam any more than the KKK represents Christianity (even though BOTH groups will claim they do).

Driving a wedge between the terrorists and the Muslim community is smart.

Obama did it so the far right cannot drive the coalition apart under the false superiority of Christian exceptionalism.

What makes anyone think that being a Christian is a better hedge from being an asshole than being a Muslim?

It was a rhetorical question, woody.

The other threads on this issue either start with the premise that Obama compares Christianity to Islam, which is not what he did, the premise is at best lazy reading of what Obama said.

Or the thread devolve when posters assume Islam is more violent and susceptible to misuse by terrorists than Christianity. Yet even recent history in the US should tell us this belief is false. Further, even today, and I mean tooofckingtoday, Putin is justifying the Ukraine and Nigerian Christians are persecuting gays.

Perhaps one could say that leaders of the most powerful "Christian nations" are in a more secure position to call out misuse of religion than are leaders in muslim countries.

IMHO: It was to reassure the broader Muslim community that we are NOT modern day crusaders who are hell bent on the destruction of Islam and that terrorists DO NOT represent Islam any more than the KKK represents Christianity (even though BOTH groups will claim they do).

Islamic terrorism is based on Islamic theology. The KKK was based on racial superiority, not Christian theology.

Ironically, Obama mimics the KKK by trying to drive a wedge between racial groups in this country.

Terrorism is based on a bastardization of Islamic theology. Just like the KKK based their racial superiority theories on a bastardization of the Bible.

Islamic terrorism is based on Islamic theology. The KKK was based on racial superiority, not Christian theology.
That must be why they were Christians who burned crosses.

That must be why they were Christians who burned crosses.

hmmmmmmmm .........

If they WERE NOT trying to use Christianity to justify their crap - why the cross symbology?

Ironically, Obama mimics the KKK by trying to drive a wedge between racial groups in this country.

No the Klan justified itself by claiming to protect Christians. Islamic terrorism is no more based upon Islam than the Klan ... or Putin ... is justified by Christ.

The other threads on this issue either start with the premise that Obama compares Christianity to Islam, which is not what he did, the premise is at best lazy reading of what Obama said.

Or the thread devolve when posters assume Islam is more violent and susceptible to misuse by terrorists than Christianity. Yet even recent history in the US should tell us this belief is false. Further, even today, and I mean tooofckingtoday, Putin is justifying the Ukraine and Nigerian Christians are persecuting gays.

Speaking of Nigeria, Boko Haram was founded as a Sunni Islamic fundamentalist sect advocating a strict form of Sharia Law and developed into a Salafist-jihadi group in 2009. To compare Nigerian Christians to them is beneath contempt.

Speaking of Nigeria, Boko Haram was founded as a Sunni Islamic fundamentalist sect advocating a strict form of Sharia Law and developed into a Salafist-jihadi group in 2009. To compare Nigerian Christians to them is beneath contempt.
and no one did ... so there ya go

No the Klan justified itself by claiming to protect Christians. Islamic terrorism is no more based upon Islam than the Klan ... or Putin ... is justified by Christ.

Protect Christians from whom? Most Black people are Christians, you dolt.

and no one did ... so there ya go

Are you blind, too?

Hiram Wesley Evans was a Dallas dentist who became the Klan`s Imperial Wizard in November 1922. Writing in North American Review in 1926, Evans expressed the core sentiment of the Klan: Finally came the moral breakdown that has been going on for two decades. One by one all our traditional moral standards went by the boards or were so disregarded that they ceased to be binding. The sacredness of our Sabbath, of our homes, of chastity, and finally even of our right to teach our own children in our own schools fundamental facts and truths were torn away from us. Those who maintained the old standards did so only in the face of constant ridicule.

I'm not going to spend the remainder of this afternoon writing an essay on the Klan. But, to be brief, there were 3 embodiements of the Klan. The first was NB Forrest, whom personally I feel is a bit unfairly vilified. the Klan opposed reconstruction and the political disenfranchisement of southern whites, mostly poor, post civil war. That group disappeared when Reconstruction stopped.

The antecedent to the present Klan came about Post WWI. As the link more fully details, the Klan arose from social pressure: educated blacks, immigrants (Papists and Jews) who were seen as a threat to xenophobic white protestants.

Resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan

Hiram Wesley Evans was a Dallas dentist who became the Klan`s Imperial Wizard in November 1922. Writing in North American Review in 1926, Evans expressed the core sentiment of the Klan: Finally came the moral breakdown that has been going on for two decades. One by one all our traditional moral standards went by the boards or were so disregarded that they ceased to be binding. The sacredness of our Sabbath, of our homes, of chastity, and finally even of our right to teach our own children in our own schools fundamental facts and truths were torn away from us. Those who maintained the old standards did so only in the face of constant ridicule.

I'm not going to spend the remainder of this afternoon writing an essay on the Klan. But, to be brief, there were 3 embodiements of the Klan. The first was NB Forrest, whom personally I feel is a bit unfairly vilified. the Klan opposed reconstruction and the political disenfranchisement of southern whites, mostly poor, post civil war. That group disappeared when Reconstruction stopped.

The antecedent to the present Klan came about Post WWI. As the link more fully details, the Klan arose from social pressure: educated blacks, immigrants (Papists and Jews) who were seen as a threat to xenophobic white protestants.

Round and round the mulberry bush...

Translation: I don't need no facts - my mind is made up

Translation: I don't need no facts - my mind is made up

I thought a nursery song might be more understandable. (Apparently not.) LOL, a diagram of your logic would look like a plate of spaghetti.

New Topics

Forum List

Back