Why decent minded people pay no attention to Snopes

Did a 'Convicted Terrorist' Sit on the Board of a BLM Funding Body? (snopes.com)

What's True
Susan Rosenberg has served as vice chair of the board of directors for Thousand Currents, an organization that provides fundraising and fiscal sponsorship for the Black Lives Matter Global Movement. She was an active member of revolutionary left-wing movements whose illegal activities included bombing U.S. government buildings and committing armed robberies.
What's Undetermined
In the absence of a single, universally-agreed definition of "terrorism," it is a matter of subjective determination as to whether the actions for which Rosenberg was convicted and imprisoned — possession of weapons and hundreds of pounds of explosives — should be described as acts of "domestic terrorism."

She was charged with bombing the US senate in the 80s. Got caught with hundreds of pounds of explosives. Was in a few terrorist groups etc.
But her actions described as "domestic terrorism" is questionable. LOL
Instead of simply saying "true" they call it a "mixture" and throw in some bullshit.
Here is the definition from the FBI
Domestic Terrorism: Definitions, Terminology, and Methodology — FBI
Thats right folks. The definition was written into US law.
18 U.S. Code § 2331 - Definitions | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)
I don't always agree with a fact checker's conclusions, but the sources they use are usually helpful in either googling further or making up my mind.

In this case, I'd say they were trying pretty damned hard not to call her a terrorist, but why didn't the DOJ either?
I think the terrorist charges were dropped because of a plea deal. I might be wrong.

After living as a fugitive for two years, Rosenberg was arrested in 1984 while in possession of a large cache of explosives and firearms over 750 lbs and automatic weapons. She had also been sought as an accomplice in the 1979 prison escape of Assata Shakur and in the 1981 Brink's robbery that resulted in the deaths of two police officers and a guard,[4] although she was never charged in either case.

Rosenberg was sentenced to 58 years' imprisonment on the weapons and explosives charges. Her sentence was commuted to time served [16 years] by President Bill Clinton on January 20, 2001,[5] his final day in office. Wikipedia Susan Rosenberg

Did a 'Convicted Terrorist' Sit on the Board of a BLM Funding Body? (snopes.com)

What's True
Susan Rosenberg has served as vice chair of the board of directors for Thousand Currents, an organization that provides fundraising and fiscal sponsorship for the Black Lives Matter Global Movement. She was an active member of revolutionary left-wing movements whose illegal activities included bombing U.S. government buildings and committing armed robberies.
What's Undetermined
In the absence of a single, universally-agreed definition of "terrorism," it is a matter of subjective determination as to whether the actions for which Rosenberg was convicted and imprisoned — possession of weapons and hundreds of pounds of explosives — should be described as acts of "domestic terrorism."

She was charged with bombing the US senate in the 80s. Got caught with hundreds of pounds of explosives. Was in a few terrorist groups etc.
Instead of simply saying "true" they call it a "mixture" and throw in some bullshit.
18 U.S. Code § 2331 - Definitions | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)
I don't always agree with a fact checker's conclusions, but the sources they use are usually helpful in either googling further or making up my mind.

In this case, I'd say they were trying pretty damned hard not to call her a terrorist, but why didn't the DOJ either?
I think the terrorist charges were dropped because of a plea deal. I might be wrong.

After living as a fugitive for two years, Rosenberg was arrested in 1984 while in possession of a large cache of explosives and firearms over 750 lbs and automatic weapons. She had also been sought as an accomplice in the 1979 prison escape of Assata Shakur and in the 1981 Brink's robbery that resulted in the deaths of two police officers and a guard,[4] although she was never charged in either case.

Rosenberg was sentenced to 58 years' imprisonment on the weapons and explosives charges. Her sentence was commuted to time served [16 years] by President Bill Clinton on January 20, 2001,[5] his final day in office. Wikipedia Susan Rosenberg
Indeed. But the charges for the bombing of the capitol (and a couple others) were dropped.

What's True
What's Undetermined

Indeed. But the charges for the bombing of the capitol (and a couple others) were dropped.
Yep. Doesn't change my mind about her or yours either. Nice little thread. I read Snopes once in a while, but they, like anybody possibly with an agenda, correcting facts can be a good thing, but often making an assessment possibly put out from their editorial point of view, can easily be problematic, at the very least.

Guess what? Snopes really did get this one wrong. You don't want this chick anywhere near you or even living in your town. If domestic terrorist did have a universal definition, it might have her picture beside it.

So there is no such thing as paying one's debt and moving on to become a law abiding citizen and sitting on a board? I don't quite understand that.
Come on, man! She did not pay her debt. Nobody ever said she did. The debt was 58 years. She didn't even get a pardon. Her debt (in prison) was just commuted. Not the same. My general advice is never trust anybody who was involved in that sort of thing, especially with ties to organizations like the May 19th Communist Organization. Sounds better when you call it M19CO, but that is what it stands for. Communists do not come around. They just lay low or go underground. It's their thing and they will always bear watching.
You and I agree on a lot of things. That said, a bunch of people actually try to associate liberals falsely with communists. It generally is not true and will not be unless normal liberals grant acceptance to people with strong ties to communist organizations, especially violent communist organizations. I grew up in the 60s, never tolerant of Russian Communist, Chinese Communists or Cuban Communists or any other. I even quit buy gasoline from any outlet owned by the Governor of Tennessee because he bought it from Hugo Chavez and would still will push my car before shopping at his businesses, though Chavez died in 2013. I am too old to change and do not see the need. Just sayin, dude,

Okay, but my question remains - She did 16 years in prison and did some good work with AIDS. I guess we'll agree to disagree as to whether a person can ever become a responsible citizen.

Forum List

Back