CDZ Why aren't we addressing the gun issue as a cultural problem?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I don't have a simple legislative answer for the gun problem. There are already ten kazillion guns out there, and they're easily accessible by any maniac. So legislating along the fringes can only do so much. Can we do some legislating here and there? Sure, let's look at EVERYTHING. But legislation's efficacy will be limited and long term only.

Obviously, our poisoned political environment is going to slow down (or worse) anything major that we try to do. That appears to be the goal, for some reason. But is it possible for us all to look at this as a cultural issue? WHY is life so cheap now? HOW do people become so radicalized? WHAT pushes a damaged person over that last edge of sanity and turns them into a monster? WHEN can we step in without harming a person's liberties?

And perhaps most importantly, how can we COMMUNICATE, COLLABORATE and INNOVATE in this toxic political environment, to SAVE LIVES? Certainly we have to look at entertainment. Certainly we have to look at partisan politics from a macro perspective. Certainly we have to look at the internet. There are some things we all can consider. No?

I think MOST of our problems are cultural, directly or indirectly. This is another example. But we're tying our own hands.

Last edited:
I don't have a simple legislative answer for the gun problem. There are already ten kazillion guns out there, they're easily accessible by any maniac, so legislating along the fringes can only do so much. Can we do some legislating here and there? Sure, let's look at EVERYTHING. But legislation's efficacy will be limited and long term only.

Obviously, our poisoned political environment is going to slow down (or worse) anything major that we try to do. That appears to be the goal, for some reason. But is it possible for us all to look at this as a cultural issue? WHY is life so cheap now? HOW do people become so radicalized? WHAT pushes a damaged person over that last edge of sanity and turns them into a monster? WHEN can we step in without harming a person's liberties?

And perhaps most importantly, how can we COMMUNICATE, COLLABORATE and INNOVATE in this toxic political environment, to SAVE LIVES? Certainly we have to look at entertainment. Certainly we have to look at partisan politics from a macro perspective. Certainly we have to look at the internet. There are some things we all can consider. No?

I think MOST of our problems are cultural, directly or indirectly. This is another example. But we're tying our own hands.
I am posting a hypothetical question for everyone in the rubber room it is only a hypothesis.

Where's the STFU button? Actually I agree with Mac on this. The problem is cultural, not with guns. The guns have always been there; undisciplined, apathetic, grown tantrum babies have not.

I agree. Our culture has been destroyed by liberals. Now we reap the whirldwind. It has to get worse before it gets better im afraid.
Our problems are not political but our diversions are.

I don't have a simple legislative answer for the gun problem. There are already ten kazillion guns out there, they're easily accessible by any maniac, so legislating along the fringes can only do so much. Can we do some legislating here and there? Sure, let's look at EVERYTHING. But legislation's efficacy will be limited and long term only.

Welcome to reality. Now if you can just avoid jumping back to your wing.

Where's the STFU button? Actually I agree with Mac on this. The problem is cultural, not with guns. The guns have always been there, undisciplined apathetic grown tantrum babies have not.
Why do you think I posted a link about cultural decay because of the degeneration of music and Movies? Oh yeah, it is played in other countries and you dont see people going out and mowing down people with assault rifles. That is totally wrong, you go look in Europe and there is so much more violence per capita than is in the US. They also dont have open borders to drug cartels that cross daily.

Countries Compared by Crime > Total crimes per 1000. International Statistics at NationMaster.com
How Mexico’s Cartels Are Behind the Border Kid Crisis

But we understand that with liberal thinking, these things go unnoticed.

liberals-head-up-his-ass.jpg

When I was a kid, there were guns all over the place. Eight year old boys got a 22 for their birthday. Family picnics found us out back shooting holes in targets.

We weren't shooting each other so it isn't the guns. It is something else. Let's look for that something else.

Where's the STFU button? Actually I agree with Mac on this. The problem is cultural, not with guns. The guns have always been there; undisciplined, apathetic, grown tantrum babies have not.
We are a gun culture

When I was a kid, there were guns all over the place. Eight year old boys got a 22 for their birthday. Family picnics found us out back shooting holes in targets.
We weren't shooting each other so it isn't the guns. It is something else. Let's look for that something else.
Bingo, exactly. Somewhere along the line, life became cheap.

I don't have a simple legislative answer for the gun problem.
That's because there isn't one. Responsible Americans (the vast 99.99% of us) will never tolerate being disarmed and you cannot legislate human behavior. Mass murderers kill not because they can get a gun (Look Marge! There's a gun! I think I'll go shoot people with it!) but because they are intent on killing! Take the gun away and they will only find another way.

Personally, I think a lot of what is driving the social rage is that we see the absolute breakdown and dysfunctionality of our government, the endless investigations, the endless bickering, the eternal stalemates, the never-ending partisanship, the corruption, the lies, the cheating, the LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY in our leaders all the while they are left feeling helpless locked into poor-paying jobs, traffic, gridlock and endless rules and regulations that the regulators themselves don't follow.

Good points, but I'm going to be dark here. Neil DeGrasse Tyson's list got criticized, but he left a lot off the list. Wife beating, child molestation, vandalism, theft, bullying, gossiping, kidnapping, drug running, gun running, aiding and abetting illegal immigration. All these things contribute to a sick society. Gossiping? Check out our schools or facebook. Hate starts somewhere doesn't it. Illegal immigration and its helpers? Break one law, the Hell with the rest of them-don't think for a minute these racist nuts don't come up with that on their own. Does the culture need addressing? Absolutely.

Do you think that when innocent babies became a commodity and were executed in or out of the womb, that "life" just wasn't as precious as it was before?

The only "cultural problem" we have in relation to the gun issue is how the bed wetters have feminized the culture to the point half the males in the country are afraid of the tool, and unwilling to accept the fact that they're responsible for the security of their communities.

I can't believe there was no one in that Wal-Mart in El Paso that was able to return fire.

That's unacceptable.

The other cultural problem is that we have completely destroyed the spiritual and religious fabric of the country. If these assholes had even the fear of God or the concept they would go to hell for murdering innocent people, they wouldn't have committed these acts, yet the bed wetters are more concerned with making every symbol of Christianity disappear, while forcing everyone to embrace a cult established by a warlord, slave merchant, thief and pedophile that went to hell 1400 years ago.

Look what happened when the last time a White Hispanic opened fire to save his own life.

Do you think that when innocent babies became a commodity and were executed in or out of the womb, that "life" just wasn't as precious as it was before?
That could certainly be true. It could also be true that it's a symptom of a larger cultural problem.

That could certainly be true. It could also be true that it's a symptom of a larger cultural problem.
Without innocent babies, being born, there is no culture. Or is this scientifically incorrect?

And to answer your question (you did ask)...its because politics equals power for a certain group. Americans have been trained, as a diversion, that politics is the answer to everything and greater Federal control equals greater happiness.
They have been trained that philosophical questions or moral questions are irrelevant..only governing questions are relevant.
Brainwashed would be a better description I suppose.
And remember the Democrat motto..."never let a crisis go to waste". If we solved our cultural issues....if we were to succeed even while the liberals attacked viciously to undo whatever efforts we were taking to solve it...then how would they gain?

Beto Orourke is right now in El Paso speaking to, I shit you not, what he is calling his "binational nation". He has been dancing on those graves until he must be exhausted by now. They all have.

You are a smart guy. Take a logical, legal approach. Ask yourself Cui Bono? Who benefits? From the time of Cicero this question has helped men of good will tease out the perp.

We are skipping over a big part of the answer: Define what a person's liberties are. In no society should it be so easy to kill one another. That should not be a part of a person's "liberties."

And to answer your question (you did ask)...its because politics equals power for a certain group. Americans have been trained, as a diversion, that politics is the answer to everything and greater Federal control equals greater happiness.
They have been trained that philosophical questions or moral questions are irrelevant..only governing questions are relevant.
Brainwashed would be a better description I suppose.
And remember the Democrat motto..."never let a crisis go to waste". If we solved our cultural issues....if we were to succeed even while the liberals attacked viciously to undo whatever efforts we were taking to solve it...then how would they gain?

Beto Orourke is right now in El Paso speaking to, I shit you not, what he is calling his "binational nation". He has been dancing on those graves until he must be exhausted by now. They all have.

You are a smart guy. Take a logical, legal approach. Ask yourself Cui Bono? Who benefits? From the time of Cicero this question has helped men of good will tease out the perp.
El Paso is "binational." You did hear that six or seven of the shoppers killed in WalMart were from across the border in Mexico? People are back and forth from both countries all the time.
I live on the border with Canada, and it is the same here. We have shoppers from Canada at our local Walmart all the time and Americans are in St. Stephen just as often. There is an annual International Festival to celebrate the "binational" state of affairs. Somehow, the Candians don't upset us.

We are skipping over a big part of the answer: Define what a person's liberties are. In no society should it be so easy to kill one another. That should not be a part of a person's "liberties."

Yep. You immediately went to restricting liberties. Without thought or hesitation. You caused this...and to fix it we have to burn the constitution.

Yep. You immediately went to restricting liberties. Without thought or hesitation. You caused this...and to fix it we have to burn the constitution.
So put the insane people where they belong in a rubber room, in a nice cozy jacket, but then most of the Democrat party would be put away.

Forum List

Back