Why arent inner cities utopias?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Look at most major cities, you will see one party in control. Democrats. If there is Republican control, chances are it's run by liberal Republicans. Given that the Democrats control the cities so overwhelmingly, why exactly arent they utopias?

Think about it. Here in the cities we get to see the Democrat agenda run essentially unopposed. We often get told that if liberals were running things, this country would get so much better. Yet, despite the fact that liberals have had such vast control over the major cities of America, inner cities are run down, degenerate, education is horrible, and IMHO non-existant if half the stuff my friends teaching there are true. Why is that?

Take Philadelphia for example. Its been run by Democrats for nearly 50 years. It's a run down shadow of what it used to be. The public schooling is absolutely attrocious. The students have no respect for teachers. The murder rate is so high Ive seen comparisons with casualties in Iraq. If applying liberal principles is so beneficial and effective for bettering us, why is the city decaying?

Or how about New Orleans, or Washington? And dont even get me started on San Fran...

How bad do things need to get before people start realizing we need a change? Are people just so used to mediocrity and corruption that they don't care about being any better?

Have we reached the point of new return? If we have our future doesn't look bright. Because there is something to the phrase "All politics is local." Even if we are strong on the outside, if we are decaying within our cities and local areas, this nation will decay.

On an even further level, if we don't fix our families, our cities and local areas will decay, even if we have politicians who try to govern with conservative, or atleast, non-liberal positions.

Come on, avatar. All they need is alittle more time to let their policies work. I'm sure if we just keep electing them then within another 50 to 100 years the policies will work, right? right?

What really sucks is that the surrounding counties of philly are affected directly by their actions but can't vote for the leaders. My fiance works as a teacher in philly and i myself have worked for the IRS there and we were subject to the ridiculous city wage tax. The city tax is more then the state tax. She makes around $40k a year and probably only brings home about $25k after Federal, State, City and union dues. Its a job but they wonder why businesses run away in droves from philly.

Look at most major cities, you will see one party in control. Democrats. If there is Republican control, chances are it's run by liberal Republicans. Given that the Democrats control the cities so overwhelmingly, why exactly arent they utopias?

Think about it. Here in the cities we get to see the Democrat agenda run essentially unopposed. We often get told that if liberals were running things, this country would get so much better. Yet, despite the fact that liberals have had such vast control over the major cities of America, inner cities are run down, degenerate, education is horrible, and IMHO non-existant if half the stuff my friends teaching there are true. Why is that?

Take Philadelphia for example. Its been run by Democrats for nearly 50 years. It's a run down shadow of what it used to be. The public schooling is absolutely attrocious. The students have no respect for teachers. The murder rate is so high Ive seen comparisons with casualties in Iraq. If applying liberal principles is so beneficial and effective for bettering us, why is the city decaying?

Or how about New Orleans, or Washington? And dont even get me started on San Fran...

How bad do things need to get before people start realizing we need a change? Are people just so used to mediocrity and corruption that they don't care about being any better?

Have we reached the point of new return? If we have our future doesn't look bright. Because there is something to the phrase "All politics is local." Even if we are strong on the outside, if we are decaying within our cities and local areas, this nation will decay.

On an even further level, if we don't fix our families, our cities and local areas will decay, even if we have politicians who try to govern with conservative, or atleast, non-liberal positions.

you may disagree with SF's Politics however it is a very liveable walkable city
and right downtown....

Liberal, conservative, Democrat, Republican --- that's all beside the point. The inner cities are hellholes because of who lives there.

Well you know I disagree with that. The only "environment" that counts is the people who surround you, and that just gets us back to... who lives there. The arguments of liberals on this are so circular. They'll always say that there are so many "bad examples" in the inner city... but who's setting those "bad examples"?

Come on WJ, I'll give ya the first, but ya got to give up the second.

It ain't about race, its about ENVIOROMENT.

I don't think its about race either, but I find it hard to blame it on the environment. People create the environment. If people want to live better, they can do it with alittle hard work.

It is about the people, not the race of the people, but the desire they have to better themselves and change the world around them.

Culture is way more important than race is in this situation.

They will become utopias just as soon as President Bush signs legislation raising minimum wage.:cool:

Fine, manu, screw it up for SF. Manlaw update: SF is now excluded from the utopia list because of manu.

Then so is downtown Chicago and Boston. Both are very friendly cities during the night or day. Neighborhoods, well you gotta know where you are.

First of all the reason why democrats live in downtown areas (and they do) is so the church vans don't have to drive way out into the country on voting day,..............dah!

The reason why they live in filth and below sub are our fault because we keep refusing to be compassionate...............dah!

You see, it's greedy rightwingers like you folks who hang out on this message board that cause most of the socialogical and economical problems we have today in the inner city. e.g: Avatar, instead of bringing up good points and your analogy on this subject, you could be working overtime or something so you could do more of your share to provide for the less fortunate. I mean, hell, you could do a third shifter at 7-11 or something!

The reason the inner cities are shitholes is simply because greedy people won't do more to provide funding to clean it up! Just think, we could have a tax to refurbish all the inner city homes of welfare recip's and then things would be cleaner. A couple more taxes and stree lights that had been shot out could be repaired! But Noooooooooooooo! We just want to complain.

It is really quite simple! Why have a social welfare program if you are not going to finish the job? Lets give tax breaks to crack dealers who offer discounts for quanity purchases! This will result in less time spent standing on the street corners thereby reducing curbside littering. Now THAT is common sense ideaology. This..will help the enviornment of the inner city.

Remember the lefty motto..............Tis better to recieve than to work!

New Topics

Forum List

Back