Why are you here at USMB?

The modern day English also has between 11,000 to 13,000 idioms, meaning phrases used to describe something or to provide a comparison. Some sources support that there are even more than 13,000!
Fine, but Americans use only a handful of clichés and catch-phrases. They skip and jump from one cliché to the next one and seem lost between them.
Considering this additional confusing element (verb tenses are hard as well imo), that many English speakers insert regularly into their words ....
But there again, the average American's grammar is awful.

The modern day English also has between 11,000 to 13,000 idioms, meaning phrases used to describe something or to provide a comparison. Some sources support that there are even more than 13,000!
Fine, but Americans use only a handful of clichés and catch-phrases. They skip and jump from one cliché to the next one and seem lost between them.
Considering this additional confusing element (verb tenses are hard as well imo), that many English speakers insert regularly into their words ....
But there again, the average American's grammar is awful.
I beg to differ about your take on the number of times average Americans use idioms- multiple times daily at a minimum for most. Personally, I enjoy colorful language full of visuals and anecdotes, at times I’m over the top with my own use of idioms. As you likely know, writers (in almost all formats) include many analogies and idioms in their writings, but every day conversations include idioms on steroids.

By the way, I wasn’t arguing against your point; I was adding another layer.

... Americans use only a handful of clichés and catch-phrases. They skip and jump from one cliché to the next one and seem lost between them. ..... , the average American's grammar is awful.
I beg to differ about your take on the number of times average Americans use idioms- multiple times daily at a minimum for most. ....
The average American's dialogue is saturated with catch-phrases, clichés, and popular expressions.

* basically
* point in time - rather than now, then, or simply "at that point".
* in terms of
* individual - rather than the/that person
* multiple - rather than several, many, a few
* did - rather than conjugate the following verb.
* had went/had seen
* indicated - rather than "said"
* we was/they was
* kids - almost never saying child/children
* mom - rather than mother
* reach out - rather than contact
* I appreciate it - rather than a simple thanks/thank you
* real quick - instead of .... well, I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.

etc.

Last edited:
... Americans use only a handful of clichés and catch-phrases. They skip and jump from one cliché to the next one and seem lost between them. ..... , the average American's grammar is awful.
I beg to differ about your take on the number of times average Americans use idioms- multiple times daily at a minimum for most. ....
The average American's dialogue is saturated with catch-phrases, clichés, and popular expressions.

* basically
* point in time - rather than now, then, or simply "at that point".
* in terms of
* individual - rather than the/that person
* multiple - rather than several, many, a few
* did - rather than conjugate the following verb.
* had went/had seen
* we was/they was
* kids - almost never saying child/children
* mom - rather than mother
* reach out - rather than contact
* I appreciate it - rather than a simple thanks/thank you
* real quick - instead of .... well, I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.

etc.
Even now, your list of popular expressions is evolving. For instance: I appreciate it is now-preesh; suspicious is: sus; alright is now: aight and numerous other modifications. This popular language trend is not a modification or extension of Ebonics btw, but from Generation Z mostly. I find it lazy and sad, but then of course I am not a Gen Z'er.

I did my prehistoric quiz but sadly it does pick up that much participation :( the people here in France are a lot for télé reality ( not me) and they are mostly Tommy style
tongue-2-20ae.gif
but strangly they like the Prehistoric quiz :laugh:

You should just spit it out and say what you want to say, you should be able to do it , you're a Texan right ?
Last time I checked.

Why do the limeys call y'all that? Is it from eating frog legs, because I've had those and they're delicious. I used to gig 'em on the riverbanks in Nebraska when I was growing up.

I don't really have anything of importance to say. Par for the course.

I didn't say it was the metric; I said it should be.

Why? ... honest curiosity ... folks are already paying SS taxes on this money at 7.65% ... why not shimmy the brackets instead ...

people ,making the bottom wage should be tax exempt; they're already getting banged for other payroll taxes along with sales taxes and now they even tax utility bills.I also agree that SS should be cut back with the MW raise, to somewhere near 2.5-3% per contributor, or 5-6% total. The deficits can be made up from the projects it was raise for, like a road tax and taxes on fuel and batteries etc., and put back into a SS fund, an in turn the payouts also raised to reflect real inflation.

Also, some labor categories should be allow to draw it in full early, like construction laborers, truck drivers, and others prone to early injury. Somebody who sat on their asses in careers can wait a couple more years to start drawing it, while raising the cutoff levels of wages that pay in.
Good read, and yes this sort of thinking should have been being debated for years until it was perfected or the system reformed. How could or can we trust the lot of politician's we've had throughout these years when they've done nothing but play us ????? They gained way to much power over the years using decisiveness and switch and bait tactics on us.... Anyone that can't see it is part of the problems, and not the solutions. Thanks for your post. Hopefully people will debate these things more, and the uprising will begin against corrupt Washington politics.

It does get debated, on more serious sites that don't have so many fifth columnists from assorted Party factions and their retarded 'social media campaigns' spamming up the joint.

You should just spit it out and say what you want to say, you should be able to do it , you're a Texan right ?
Last time I checked.

Why do the limeys call y'all that? Is it from eating frog legs, because I've had those and they're delicious. I used to gig 'em on the riverbanks in Nebraska when I was growing up.

The Texans folk's seem to really appreciate frog legs HereWeGoAgain, i appreciate as well it is very good meal :)

Some member don't come too much either in winter Lucy Hamilton did not come too much this winter , i miss her.
Wet Lucy was a good enrichment for the forum, until she started to praise that zero over and over again.
Zero over and over again ?
Yeah, that pointless zero.
Lucy always make good post anyway for me and we can't get along with everyone, i don't feel comfortable talking with some member i find them a bit rough.
I am not calling Lucy a zero. Read again.
Until she started to praise that zero over and over again .
Do you mean Trump ?
Yeah, that guy who takes the poors´ money and gives it to the rich and calls this goings-on "Making America Great Again".
That would be old man Biden

I joined in 2007 after my previous board home combusted into a shitshow of flamefests and mass banniations. I loathe Fascistbook and Twatter, preferring old school messageboards, so joined USMB. Ta da!

USMB, despite the Prog Nannies amongst the Board Hegemony, has done a pretty fine job of providing a platform for discussion without allowing petty dictators to destroy the community.

Oh, and there is the Intertia Factor. I'm just too lazy and absolutely hate moving in virtual as well as meatspace.

Last time I checked.

The Texans folk's seem to really appreciate frog legs HereWeGoAgain, i appreciate as well it is very good meal :)
I prefer S - Car - Go...

I joined in 2007 after my previous board home combusted into a shitshow of flamefests and mass banniations. I loathe Fascistbook and Twatter, preferring old school messageboards, so joined USMB. Ta da!

USMB, despite the Prog Nannies amongst the Board Hegemony, has done a pretty fine job of providing a platform for discussion without allowing petty dictators to destroy the community.

Oh, and there is the Intertia Factor. I'm just too lazy and absolutely hate moving in virtual as well as meatspace.

T'was also annoying that everything went down the memory hole when DA was shut down. Some of my best work was on there.

CCC from DA

P.S., Give Batfink my best

I was banned from the Hannity message board for calling someone a right wing asshole.

Forum List

Back