Zone1 Why Are Horoscopes Considered Evil?

A Christian on YouTube told me this. I thought that it was just a personality test that may or may not share your characteristics due to what month you were born. I don't really see anything wrong with it. My sign (Pisces) is mostly right just by sheer coincidence but it's still not a hundred percent and I don't really believe that birth signs could actually predict your personality, it's just by chance if the description is correct or not.

Eh, I think it's pretty harmless if you say "I was born in this month so I'm XYZ". However fortune telling--using horoscopes to make decisions etc or predict the future--that's different.

And then there's witchcraft/sorcery, which is viscerally evil. I'm talking Tarot card readings, psychics, etc. The Bible expressly prohibits that, not because it's nonsense (like saying you're a certain way because of when you were born), but because there IS true spiritual darkness we don't want any part of. Or shouldn't, anyway.

Because, as every educated person knows, the stars are fixed to crystal spheres that surround the Earth which is at the center of The Universe.

crystal_spheres_break_open.gif

Eh, I think it's pretty harmless if you say "I was born in this month so I'm XYZ". However fortune telling--using horoscopes to make decisions etc or predict the future--that's different.

And then there's witchcraft/sorcery, which is viscerally evil. I'm talking Tarot card readings, psychics, etc. The Bible expressly prohibits that, not because it's nonsense (like saying you're a certain way because of when you were born), but because there IS true spiritual darkness we don't want any part of. Or shouldn't, anyway.

What about fortune cookies or that little paper game that most of us played when we were kids about "predicting our future." I say it in quotation marks because it's obviously all fake and just for fun.

What about fortune cookies or that little paper game that most of us played when we were kids about "predicting our future." I say it in quotation marks because it's obviously all fake and just for fun.

A piece of paper in a cookie, given randomly, is not like sitting down with a psychic.

A piece of paper in a cookie, given randomly, is not like sitting down with a psychic.
The cookie is much tastier... and infinitely more accurate.

A very long time ago, a young woman and I were eating at a Chinese restaurant in Los Angeles, and of course, we each got a fortune cookie.

This is what came out of mine…

19940412_FortuneCookieFront.jpg

Very odd, that. Like horoscopes, and other similar instances of fortune-telling. fortune cookies are always very vague, nonspecific, so that by the Barnum/Forer effect, anyone can find a way to interpret it to fit them. You just don't ever see fortune cookies being this specific. For the vast majority of those who might have received this fortune, it would surely not make sense. For me, only at the time that I received it, it made perfect sense. See the story that follows farther down this post.

I wrote the date on the back, laminated it, and carry it to this day, in my wallet.

19940412_FortuneCookieBack.jpg

We had “met” online on the FidoNet, a loose network of BBSes that was popular among computer geeks, in the days before the public had access to the Internet. Of course, at that time, the FidoNet, like most computer-based media, was dominated by stereotypical nerds—desperately lonely young men, very much in want of female companionship. When a young woman appeared in one of the forums there, and identified herself as such, and also expressed dissatisfaction with the dating prospects in her home area, she attracted a lot of attention. It seems a miracle that I, probably one of the more extreme examples of the stereotypical lonely nerd, was the one who succeeded at calling her attention to myself, and getting her to consider me as a possible prospect.

On 08 April 1994, after quite a few weeks of assorted communications, she arrived on a Greyhound bus, from Reedsport, Oregon, to Santa Barbara, California, to meet me in person. We figured that this would be a fairly short visit, and that if it looked like anything would come of it, we'd figure out future visits, and whatever came from there.

Once we were together, things seemed to happen very rapidly. By the time we made that overnight trip to Los Angeles, we had a pretty good idea where things were headed.

The restaurant where I got this fortune cookie was across the street from the Mormon Temple in Los Angeles. In an abstract, unofficial way, I figure we were sort-of engages, at the time we got this fortune cookie. We didn't actually state it, but it seemed clear where things were headed.

The following day, after shopping for and buying an engagement ring, right there in the jewelry store, I properly, formally proposed to her.

A year after that, 13 April 1995, at the Temple across the street from where I got this fortune cookie…

Wedding-topaz-denoise-enhance-faceai4x.jpg

In a month and a day from today, we will have been married for twenty-eight years.

Not that, in general, I give any credence to fortune cookies, horoscopes, or other forms of random divination. In this case, I have a solid, unshakable belief that for whatever reason, God wanted Seanette and me to be together, that He had a hand in manipulating improbable events to this end, and in somehow allowing the two of us to remain together all this time, in spite of conflicting personality traits that would seem to make our relationship unlikely to be viable. He may very well have had some hand in directing this fortune cookie to me, as a way of reassuring me that the crazy path I found myself rapidly and uncontrollably following was the path that I was meant to follow.

A very long time ago, a young woman and I were eating at a Chinese restaurant in Los Angeles, and of course, we each got a fortune cookie.

This is what came out of mine…

View attachment 764928

Very odd, that. Like horoscopes, and other similar instances of fortune-telling. fortune cookies are always very vague, nonspecific, so that by the Barnum/Forer effect, anyone can find a way to interpret it to fit them. You just don't ever see fortune cookies being this specific. For the vast majority of those who might have received this fortune, it would surely not make sense. For me, only at the time that I received it, it made perfect sense. See the story that follows farther down this post.

I wrote the date on the back, laminated it, and carry it to this day, in my wallet.

View attachment 764930

We had “met” online on the FidoNet, a loose network of BBSes that was popular among computer geeks, in the days before the public had access to the Internet. Of course, at that time, the FidoNet, like most computer-based media, was dominated by stereotypical nerds—desperately lonely young men, very much in want of female companionship. When a young woman appeared in one of the forums there, and identified herself as such, and also expressed dissatisfaction with the dating prospects in her home area, she attracted a lot of attention. It seems a miracle that I, probably one of the more extreme examples of the stereotypical lonely nerd, was the one who succeeded at calling her attention to myself, and getting her to consider me as a possible prospect.

On 08 April 1994, after quite a few weeks of assorted communications, she arrived on a Greyhound bus, from Reedsport, Oregon, to Santa Barbara, California, to meet me in person. We figured that this would be a fairly short visit, and that if it looked like anything would come of it, we'd figure out future visits, and whatever came from there.

Once we were together, things seemed to happen very rapidly. By the time we made that overnight trip to Los Angeles, we had a pretty good idea where things were headed.

The restaurant where I got this fortune cookie was across the street from the Mormon Temple in Los Angeles. In an abstract, unofficial way, I figure we were sort-of engages, at the time we got this fortune cookie. We didn't actually state it, but it seemed clear where things were headed.

The following day, after shopping for and buying an engagement ring, right there in the jewelry store, I properly, formally proposed to her.

A year after that, 13 April 1995, at the Temple across the street from where I got this fortune cookie…

View attachment 764942

In a month and a day from today, we will have been married for twenty-eight years.

Not that, in general, I give any credence to fortune cookies, horoscopes, or other forms of random divination. In this case, I have a solid, unshakable belief that for whatever reason, God wanted Seanette and me to be together, that He had a hand in manipulating improbable events to this end, and in somehow allowing the two of us to remain together all this time, in spite of conflicting personality traits that would seem to make our relationship unlikely to be viable. He may very well have had some hand in directing this fortune cookie to me, as a way of reassuring me that the crazy path I found myself rapidly and uncontrollably following was the path that I was meant to follow.

everything is metaphysical ...

In a month and a day from today, we will have been married for twenty-eight years ... God wanted Seanette and me to be together

except what is man made -

is that by contract, legal document your "marriage" or from the heavens as a&e. the difference between fortune and despotism. in the present world, the religious, desert - autocracies.

A Christian on YouTube told me this. I thought that it was just a personality test that may or may not share your characteristics due to what month you were born. I don't really see anything wrong with it. My sign (Pisces) is mostly right just by sheer coincidence but it's still not a hundred percent and I don't really believe that birth signs could actually predict your personality, it's just by chance if the description is correct or not.
I thought you were born in early Feb, which would make u Aquarius?

In any case, it is wrong to use astrology to run your life. We are called to follow Christ, not some pagan, Christ-less philosophy or what have you. He is supposed to control our lives.

No, the twentieth.
That's on the cusp so you are not a full on Pisces

Anyway, I don't see a big problem in the personality profiles of astrology but I don't pay any attention to a horoscope vis a vis what I'm supposed to do that day or whatever. I ask Jesus what He wants for me that day (not that I always remember to do that but I kind of do it instinctively at this point... hopefully) :)

Forum List

Back