Why Are Dems Scared Of Fox News?

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Dems say they will stand up to terrorists (despite their recent "Surrender At All Costs" bill) - yet they are afraid to debate on Fox News

What is up with the Dems?

So far no Republicans have refused to debate on CNN or MSNBC

Will Deal with Syria and Iran, but Democrats Won't Give Fox News 'a Platform'
Posted by Rich Noyes on April 9, 2007 - 13:08.
So it seems the position of left-wing Democrats is to deal with the terrorist states of Syria and Iran -- but don't deal with Fox News because it just gives them "a platform." As noted in an earlier posting, Democratic candidate John Edwards had a fine time and voiced no complaints after participating in a pair of Fox News-sponsored debates in 2003, but now he's boycotting the highest-rated cable news network: (Updates added at the end.)

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards on Friday pulled out of a second debate co-hosted by Fox News Channel, saying the cable network has a conservative slant.

The Edwards campaign said it will not attend the September 23 debate in Detroit hosted by Fox News and the Congressional Black Caucus Institute, but officials added that Edwards is "looking forward" to a different debate hosted by the institute and CNN in South Carolina in January 2008.

"We believe there's just no reason for Democrats to give Fox a platform to advance the right-wing agenda while pretending they're objective," said Jonathan Prince, Edwards' deputy campaign manager.

It's the second time Edwards has decided to skip a debate because of its affiliation with Fox News. Edwards decided in March that he would pass on an August 14 debate in Reno, Nevada, co-hosted by Fox News and the Nevada Democratic Party.

UPDATE: I've been reminded that the GOP presidential candidates are debating at the Reagan Presidential Library next month, with MSNBC -- the network of Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann -- doing the honors. As far as I know, there are no plans for the Republican candidates to flee the scene to protect themselves from MSNBC's bias (would you really want a president who couldn't stand up to Chris Matthews?), and you could imagine the rest of the media's reaction if there was an attempt at a boycott MSNBC.

UPDATE 2: In today's "Best of the Web" from OpinionJournal.com, James Taranto has an Edwards quote from just last week from CNN (not a network he's boycotting): "I think that what America should be doing on the issue of Iraq is dealing directly with both the Syrians and the Iranians, and I don't know precisely what Speaker Pelosi is going to do in Syria, but we as a nation should be engaged with both the Iranians and the Syrians directly in helping stabilize Iraq. Both countries have an interest in a stabilized Iraq. They don't want refugees coming across their border, they don't want economic instability, and they don't want to see a broader Middle East conflict. And I think it makes sense to not on some ideological basis not deal with them, but to engage with both of them directly."--John Edwards, CNN, April 3

http://newsbusters.org/node/11920

Dems say they will stand up to terrorists (despite their recent "Surrender At All Costs" bill) - yet they are afraid to debate on Fox News

What is up with the Dems?

So far no Republicans have refused to debate on CNN or MSNBC

It seems your own post answered your question RSR. What more is there that you are failing to comprehend?

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards on Friday pulled out of a second debate co-hosted by Fox News Channel, saying the cable network has a conservative slant.

"We believe there's just no reason for Democrats to give Fox a platform to advance the right-wing agenda while pretending they're objective," said Jonathan Prince, Edwards' deputy campaign manager.

BTW. I'd sure like to see Dick Cheney on Bill Maher.

Do you think that will ever happen?

It seems your own post answered your question RSR. What more is there that you are failing to comprehend?

That is a great talking pioit form libs

Care to show where there is a conservative slant?

As far as I know, there are no plans for the Republican candidates to flee the scene to protect themselves from MSNBC's bias (would you really want a president who couldn't stand up to Chris Matthews?), and you could imagine the rest of the media's reaction if there was an attempt at a boycott MSNBC.

Now if you said in contrast to the bolded that Edwards had said that he would not appear on O'Reilly or Hannity's shows, that would make sense.

Truth is, Edwards implying that FOX News is biased, really warrants proof, which they would not find.

Edwards and the Dems are scared they might have to answer hard questions and not softballs

And I suppose that you are going to tell us that CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, and a majority of print news don't have a liberal bias? Regardless of the corporate line at Fox News, I have seen more guests on their analysis show (O'Reilly, H&C, Fox News Watch) than I have ever seen on the other networks' comparable shows.

While I am not fond of bias in the news (I have pretty much given up watching the cable news outlets over the last couple of months), it is a sad fact of life that it exists and shows no signs of diminishing any time soon.

It's sadly ironic that the Dems are afraid of the variety and proliferation of new media which enable "the little people" to speak out and to think for themselves.

It's sadly ironic that the Dems are afraid of the variety and proliferation of new media which enable "the little people" to speak out and to think for themselves.

"some people say" that spoon feeding the "little people" the RNC talking points hardly helps them think for themselves.

Now if you said in contrast to the bolded that Edwards had said that he would not appear on O'Reilly or Hannity's shows, that would make sense.

Truth is, Edwards implying that FOX News is biased, really warrants proof, which they would not find.

I agree. I really don't see much difference in Fox's coverage than anyone else's. Perhpas it's what story/issue/event they choose to cover?

I agree. I really don't see much difference in Fox's coverage than anyone else's. Perhpas it's what story/issue/event they choose to cover?

The things I dislike about FNC are the obsessive coverage of the gossipy stories of the day: Anna Nicole, Britney etc. I used to watch Brit Hume's show in the evening - but they have rejuggled their schedule to give the prime time slots to Gretta, H&C, and O'Reilly. So I have stopped watching except for news specials.

It's too bad. But I get most of my news from the internet, anyway.

watch the documentary "outfoxed" and then let's talk.

I've seen it. While very interesting, I would say that a similar documentary could be made exposing the liberal bias of CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, or any other news outlet. It's not too hard to make a documentary that slants in one or another particular direction, just ask Michael Moore.

The exact same can be said for the other side, only the other side is many whereas Fox is but one.

I really do not think that the other side slips as much editorializing in the guise of news as faux does.

when you say "some people say" and then start to editorialize what the network management wants you to say, it really isn't news.

The things I dislike about FNC are the obsessive coverage of the gossipy stories of the day: Anna Nicole, Britney etc. I used to watch Brit Hume's show in the evening - but they have rejuggled their schedule to give the prime time slots to Gretta, H&C, and O'Reilly. So I have stopped watching except for news specials.

It's too bad. But I get most of my news from the internet, anyway.

And I have the same problem with Fox.

"some people say" that spoon feeding the "little people" the RNC talking points hardly helps them think for themselves.

Really? Alan Colmes parrots RNC talking points? The Libs on Brit Hume's panel parrot RNC talking points? Wow - ROVE is more powerful than I imagined.

I really do not think that the other side slips as much editorializing in the guise of news as faux does.

when you say "some people say" and then start to editorialize what the network management wants you to say, it really isn't news.

I find one as guilty as the other. A journalist presenting news in a way to lead the reader to the conclusion that he wants is nothing new. They teach it in high school journalism. "Yellow" journalism is one of the things I couldn't stand about it, and why I chose to not pursue it as a career.

One has only to watch how different outlets present the same story to see what slant each is trying to suggest to the viewer. I just take the common denominators from a variety of sources and come to my own conclusions. Commercial journalism is not based on people doing that.

I think some here are making the mistake of thinking that opinion and commentary programming is the same as a news broadcast. H&C and O'Reilly are opinion programs - Not News. Brit Hume's broadcast is 2/3 news and 1/3 commentary (the panel discussion).

I think some here are making the mistake of thinking that opinion and commentary programming is the same as a news broadcast. H&C and O'Reilly are opinion programs - Not News. Brit Hume's broadcast is 2/3 news and 1/3 commentary (the panel discussion).

I think Hannity and Colmes are a joke. One extreme to another. Greta Van Susteren is obsessive-compulsive with whatever her story du jour is.

I like O'Reilly -- don't always agree with him -- and I realize he is editorializing and not reporting factual news.

Forum List

Back