CDZ Why Are Cross Burnings Protected Under the First Amendment?

Cross-burnings are the equivalent of Black Lives Matter vandalism painting.
If you want to blame cross-burning defense on institutional racism then you must hold BLM to the same standard.
I think they’re both very bad and neither qualifies the other.
Good luck with your rationalization.
(Talk about institutional racism and bigotry... my spell-checker capitalizes Black Lives Matter and BLM but not kkk or ku klux klan.)
As a private expression they are and should be protected under the first amendment. By private I mean your cross and on your property although there is also the local fire code to consider. Same with BLM graffiti minus the fire code.

Burning one on someone elses property or someone elses cross is not protected same as BLM vandalism graffiti.

If you want to blame cross-burning defense on institutional racism then you must hold BLM to the same standard.
(Talk about institutional racism and bigotry... my spell-checker capitalizes Black Lives Matter and BLM but not kkk or ku klux klan.)
As a private expression they are and should be protected under the first amendment. By private I mean your cross and on your property although there is also the local fire code to consider. Same with BLM graffiti minus the fire code.

Burning one on someone elses property or someone elses cross is not protected same as BLM vandalism graffiti.
No, vandalism on public property and other people’s property is not legal.

No, vandalism on public property and other people’s property is not legal.
Yes that is the point. Neither is burning a cross on someone elses property or public property. Same thing.

In my opinion, it is because the people who wrote the laws and the judges who interpret them and the justices who upheld those interpretations were white supremacists. This has always been, in my opinion, an egregious ruling of equal magnitude to the Dred Scott decision in that both of them legalized the abuse and terrorization of black people by deeming this overt act as an exercise of a "protected first amendment right".

In light of the Trump impeachment defense indicating that Trump's speech on January 6th 2021 was protected first amendment political rhetoric, I'm wondering why none of the other specific exclusions to the First Amendment protections can be applied to him, a few examples follow.

The Fighting Words Doctrine:
In 1942, the Supreme Court held that the First Amendment does not protect “fighting words”—those “likely to provoke the average person to retaliation, and thereby cause a breach of the peace.”
Question: Must the retaliation be against the speaker or can it be against a party with which they are aggrieved?

Incitement:
In Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444, 447-48 (1969), the Supreme Court held that the First Amendment protects advocating the use of force or lawbreaking “except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.”

As far the likeliness to produce such action, the proof is in the pudding as far as I can see, since it wasn't just likely that use of force or lawbreaking occurred, it DID actually occur.

I know there are several members here that are knowledgeable about our system of laws as well as the U.S. Constitution, I'm interested in hearing your interpretations.
The Dims wanted it that way when they formed the KKK
Whites formed the KKK and whites from both parties have been members.
The KKK lynched as many YT Republicans as they did Blacks.

In my opinion, it is because the people who wrote the laws and the judges who interpret them and the justices who upheld those interpretations were white supremacists. This has always been, in my opinion, an egregious ruling of equal magnitude to the Dred Scott decision in that both of them legalized the abuse and terrorization of black people by deeming this overt act as an exercise of a "protected first amendment right".

In light of the Trump impeachment defense indicating that Trump's speech on January 6th 2021 was protected first amendment political rhetoric, I'm wondering why none of the other specific exclusions to the First Amendment protections can be applied to him, a few examples follow.

In 1942, the Supreme Court held that the First Amendment does not protect “fighting words”—those “likely to provoke the average person to retaliation, and thereby cause a breach of the peace.”
Question: Must the retaliation be against the speaker or can it be against a party with which they are aggrieved?

Incitement:
In Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444, 447-48 (1969), the Supreme Court held that the First Amendment protects advocating the use of force or lawbreaking “except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.”

As far the likeliness to produce such action, the proof is in the pudding as far as I can see, since it wasn't just likely that use of force or lawbreaking occurred, it DID actually occur.

I know there are several members here that are knowledgeable about our system of laws as well as the U.S. Constitution, I'm interested in hearing your interpretations.
The Dims wanted it that way when they formed the KKK
Whites formed the KKK and whites from both parties have been members.
The KKK lynched as many YT Republicans as they did Blacks.
No they did not. Todays republican party is the party of white supremacy. We see this here at USMB.

No Cross burning is a specific KKK gang activity with only one purpose, to intimidate, terrorize and threaten black people, it isn't a free speech message, it is a "I am here thinking about giving you a beating" message. Many times something bad happened, ranging from making terror threats to murder.

Painting some words on a building is nothing in comparison.

Cross burning is a million times worst than paining some words on walls, not even remotely equivalent at all.
Hogwash. BLM vandalism represents racism, black supremacy, censorship, violence, marxism and anti-Americanism. It’s victims are a much larger group.

The topic is about free speech protections, I haven't defended or supported the BLM group at all.

Then BLM does cross burnings, right before terrorizing people?

The KKK and De Facto segregation was a threat to the ENTIRE black people of America (MILLIONS of people) ..., for many decades.

The South had De Jure segregation.

The North had De Facto segregation, some small areas that still exist today nationally.
Yes, BLM does cross-burnings in the form of painting-public-property vandalism in conjunction with their rioting, looting, assault and intimidation.
Since BLM does none of those things...

Incitement:

An equal magnitude as ruling that some human lives are property to be disposed of at the will of its owner?

Incitement:

An equal magnitude as ruling that some human lives are property to be disposed of at the will of its owner?
The Dred Scott decision is considered the worse ruling SCOTUS has ever handed down, possibly because it took an amendment to the U.S. Constitution (the 13th and then the 14th amendment) to correct the damage it inflicted.

The magnitude I was referring to was in terms of allowing damage to continue to be inflicted upon the black population in the United States. If you don't have equal protection under the law or the laws allows activity that targets you or your race, it's not much different than the Dred Scott ruling in which justice Taney stated

It is difficult at this day to realize the state of public opinion in relation to that unfortunate race, which prevailed in the civilized and enlightened portions of the world at the time of the Declaration of Independence, and when the Constitution of the United States was framed and adopted. ... They had for more than a century before been regarded as beings of an inferior order ... and so far inferior, that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect; and that the negro might justly and lawfully be reduced to slavery for his benefit.

Incitement:

The Dred Scott decision is considered the worse ruling SCOTUS has ever handed down, possibly because it took an amendment to the U.S. Constitution (the 13th and then the 14th amendment) to correct the damage it inflicted.

The magnitude I was referring to was in terms of allowing damage to continue to be inflicted upon the black population in the United States. If you don't have equal protection under the law or the laws allows activity that targets you or your race, it's not much different than the Dred Scott ruling in which justice Taney stated

It is difficult at this day to realize the state of public opinion in relation to that unfortunate race, which prevailed in the civilized and enlightened portions of the world at the time of the Declaration of Independence, and when the Constitution of the United States was framed and adopted. ... They had for more than a century before been regarded as beings of an inferior order ... and so far inferior, that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect; and that the negro might justly and lawfully be reduced to slavery for his benefit.
You should read Stephen Alexander’s cornerstone speech.

Assault is sometimes defined as any intentional act that causes another person to fear that she is about to suffer physical harm

Because, historically, the burning of a cross has been a precursor to physical harm, or worse. A reasonable person could agree that the burning of a cross in view of or close proximity to the traditional victims of that harm, i. e. Black Persons, is assault and, therefore, not protected speech.
So if someone burned a cross on my lawn I would be within my rights to shoot them ? If I lived in America obviously.
[/QUOT]

You would be in violation of their civil rights and subject to prosecution. Now if they entered your house you can shoot them dead! You don’t have to live in America, don’t let the door hit yer ass when you leave.

Incitement:

I personally call it the Dreadful Scott decision, it was a truly stupid decision because it is obvious that black people are human beings therefore not inferior. Try to make up a stupid argument like that to justify keeping blacks in slavery is a sign of inner ugliness and many of them were Christian's!

The main difference is the much higher levels of Melanin in their bodies, probably due to living in high sunshine Africa, very pale/white people live in the cloudy far north where they have very little to no melanin at all in their bodies.

Whites and Blacks are human beings, that is a fact that must be embraced!

With the exception of those prone to following cult type leaders. How did we get to a place that people think having a different political view (whether they are Republican or Democrat) makes them dumb or evil in there everyday life's?

Started school in the late 1940's. lived most of my life in two states one very liberal & one very conservative. liberal states used undercover racism, area housing discrimination home & business loans dollar based pay discrimation. Am sure that still go's on to some extent. In conservative states it go's on in a much more blatant manor.

Incitement:

I never understood the symbolism of cross burning. Why did the KKK burn crosses? I don't get it.

Incitement:

I never understood the symbolism of cross burning. Why did the KKK burn crosses? I don't get it.
I didn't know this:

Why does the Ku Klux Klan burn crosses? They got the idea from a movie.

Incitement:

Hold up. Usually, when people talk about cross burnings, they're talking about burning crosses on someone else's property. That's NOT legal.

If you're talking about someone burning a cross on their own property, then sure, you can technically do that, although most jurisdictions require certain permits for burning things. A lot of cities would not allow you to burn a cross anymore than they would let you burn the leaves in your yard.

With the exception of those prone to following cult type leaders. How did we get to a place that people think having a different political view (whether they are Republican or Democrat) makes them dumb or evil in there everyday life's?

Doesn't it really depend on what that view is?

Incitement:

Burning crosses? When is the last time that was being done? Why are you fighting a ghost from 100 years ago, rather than fighting the rampant crime in the black community today? Burning crosses is about the last thing black people need to worry about today. Your priorities are just plain shameful.

Forum List

Back