Why Are All Black People...?

Have you ever been exposed to any stereotypes? Together we can abolish them.

• Yes, but I am neither black or white.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and I am white.

• No, but I am neither black or white.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 12, 2016
First off, I'd like to thank anyone who actually decides to read all of this. I think this gives a bit of enlightenment on America's current situation from someone with color. I have not been directly affected by the events taking place across the nation, but the negativity going around has definitely has taken a toll. Here's what it is like to be me as a black person, and my general opinion on the things going on currently.

You don't know how many people have stereotypes about my personality before they even meet me just because I'm black. I'd like to disprove a few stereotypes that I've been exposed to over the years:

1) "All black people are loud and obnoxious." I am actually very bashful and soft-spoken. I find it difficult to start conversations with other people because I'm so socially awkward sometimes. A teacher has never reprimanded me for being too loud. In fact, teachers have occasionally scolded me for being too quiet during oral presentations and group projects. A lot of people come up to me and expect me to have a ton of things to say, but they are disappointed when I hardly say anything at all.

2) "All black people are stupid." Actually I have straight A's, all honors and AP classes, and I am in the top 2% of my class. I'd like to think I am intelligent *wink wink*.

3) "All black people wear weave/ have short hair." My hair, when straightened, goes down to the middle of my back. Many people ask if they can feel my hair (so they can check for tracks). I used get annoyed by it, but it doesn't bother me so much anymore. People also assume that I am mixed because of it, which as far as I know, I am mostly black. I know some of my great grandparents were Arab, Dutch, and Native American though.

4) "Black people are easily offended." I can't speak for everyone, but I like dark humor and I don't really mind comedy sketches regarding black culture. Unless someone is directly attacking me, I don't see a reason to cause a riot over what was supposed to be a joke.

5) "Black people all listen to rap and hip hop." This one actually pisses me off. My own father (yes I have a both of my biological parents, what a surprise) even criticizes me because I don't really listen to rap. I prefer indie and alternative rock, new retrowave music, and even a bit of metal if I'm in the right mood. Music is not classified by race, and everyone can have a preference without "trying to be someone they're not". I will admit that growing up in mostly white schools could have influenced me, but so did my sister and she likes rap just fine. It's all bullshit to me, and that's why I think these stereotypes exist. It is just like a white girl being harassed because she only listens to rap, and everyone thinking she's trying to be black.

6) "Black people are a threat to society. They are criminals." Just because a small percentage of black people decide to become criminals, does not mean all are. Do you want to know who the real criminals are? People that commit crimes. I know statistics say this or that, but keep in mind, the prison population only represents a small portion of this nation, and environmental factors heavily influence these numbers, which makes a difference in such a small data sample.

This is just me speaking from the perspective of an African American 15 year old girl. I don't see color, and my friends come in all shades. Many people say I'm an "Oreo", or that I'm trying to neglect who I am as a black person. To me, I see it as my personality, and I never once thought of these characteristics as non-black specific. It sickens me that even my own father can't learn to accept that not all black people have to act the same way to be considered truly black.

As for my opinions about the "race war" currently going on here, it is not up to one person to change the direction we are heading, when the steering wheel weighs 30 tons. While I agree that a person with power, or a leader of some sort would be helpful, that is not going to fully change things. People with hatred are always going to have the loudest voice until we stand united, unable to be penetrated. That's why it takes everyone's help.

My advice is to try to have an equal amount of friends in every race, even if it means going out of your comfort zone. You may be surprised by the things you may learn. I've learned a lot from my white friends, and even if we disagree, it always makes a fun and healthy debate. You can't say you know something about a group of people by judging from a mile away, or just because you met one or two out of millions. Nor can you try to help a group of people if you don't even have a friend from that group to help. This can be said about any race. I also suggest that you look up the official procedure for getting pulled over by the police and when it is appropriate for a police officer to use a weapon in your state/county. If you ever get pulled over, have that in mind.

Finally, and most importantly, ignore those that only speak in the form of hatred. There is no reason to be hateful towards someone you don't even know, and those types of people are making a choice: to remain ignorant. They don't want to learn, and are only trying to further their agenda by attempting to cause a scene. People who want to learn/inform are respectful and polite about their opinions. Know the difference. Also, proving someone wrong with insults or by blaming another race is unnecessary, doesn't resolve anything, and makes you look just as bad. It will be an endless cycle. Get your voice everywhere. Don't just post on one place, post on every social media platform, forum, and comments section. Thank you and I hope this helped.

It is not up to one person to change the direction we are heading, when the steering wheel weighs 30 tons.

Great metaphor. You and your friends are our hope. Keep up the good work.

Huh. These stereotypes are news to me. Is it because I'm just an ordinary white person, like most white people?

It is not up to one person to change the direction we are heading, when the steering wheel weighs 30 tons.

Great metaphor. You and your friends are our hope. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! Metaphors always help me see things more clearly.

Huh. These stereotypes are news to me. Is it because I'm just an ordinary white person, like most white people?
I like your sense of humor haha. :) Yes, of course. Who else could I possibly be directing this towards? It's not like there are several other races that exist or anything like that whatsoever.

I like your sense of humor haha. :) Yes, of course. Who else could I possibly be directing this towards? It's not like there are several other races that exist or anything like that whatsoever.
I'm glad you see the humor. I'm trying to keep this light because so often these conversations turn angry. My point is you are assuming non black people look at you with preconceived stereo types. In saying that, you yourself are stereo typing non black people. We all have to approach each other without assumptions. It seems to me that after we are done discussing all our issues about how we've been treated, we'd best go about the business of simply treating each other Golden Rule style. A place to begin might be for all of us to identify ourselves as Americans or humans or people rather than by what color our skin happens to be.

I'm glad you see the humor. I'm trying to keep this light because so often these conversations turn angry. My point is you are assuming non black people look at you with preconceived stereo types. In saying that, you yourself are stereo typing non black people. We all have to approach each other without assumptions. It seems to me that after we are done discussing all our issues about how we've been treated, we'd best go about the business of simply treating each other Golden Rule style. A place to begin might be for all of us to identify ourselves as Americans or humans or people rather than by what color our skin happens to be.
I agree we'd best go about the business of simply treating each other Golden Rule style. But the discussion still needs to be had, for a lot of people.

A place to begin might be for all of us to identify ourselves as Americans or humans or people rather than by what color our skin happens to be.

Only in a perfect world would a scenario ever happen. And if we are going to be honest with ourselves this perfect world is not likely to happen anytime soon.

I lived on the Island of Oahu back in the early eighties when I was a much younger man. I had married a local girl and we moved there for work after the Carter years. My ex-wife was of Hawaiian, Chinese and Caucasian ancestry. I was a Haole (white, Stranger) in the local vernacular. Caucasians are the minority in Hawaii and don't always have a real stellar reputation. I entered the labor market on the grunt level along with about 90% of the other workers being from Hawaii. While they may not have all been of the same race as there was Pacific Islanders and Asians from all over. They had one thing in common and that was their being raised in Hawaii and their dislike of Haoles.
While I do not claim to have experienced any thing like DWB, there was definitely stereotyped behavior towards me. I had to stand my ground several times when some of them would have beer bravery, but when they found out I would not back down they basically left me alone. Needless to say I was not invited to many parties. I just worked my ass off and became their boss in less than two years.
I personally don't care if a person is Black, Green or Yellow. Just don't be a crybaby and expect people to kowtow to you because of race. Personal responsibility is key to being a good human being...

A place to begin might be for all of us to identify ourselves as Americans or humans or people rather than by what color our skin happens to be.

Only in a perfect world would a scenario ever happen. And if we are going to be honest with ourselves this perfect world is not likely to happen anytime soon.

I lived on the Island of Oahu back in the early eighties when I was a much younger man. I had married a local girl and we moved there for work after the Carter years. My ex-wife was of Hawaiian, Chinese and Caucasian ancestry. I was a Haole (white, Stranger) in the local vernacular. Caucasians are the minority in Hawaii and don't always have a real stellar reputation. I entered the labor market on the grunt level along with about 90% of the other workers being from Hawaii. While they may not have all been of the same race as there was Pacific Islanders and Asians from all over. They had one thing in common and that was their being raised in Hawaii and their dislike of Haoles.
While I do not claim to have experienced any thing like DWB, there was definitely stereotyped behavior towards me. I had to stand my ground several times when some of them would have beer bravery, but when they found out I would not back down they basically left me alone. Needless to say I was not invited to many parties. I just worked my ass off and became their boss in less than two years.
I personally don't care if a person is Black, Green or Yellow. Just don't be a crybaby and expect people to kowtow to you because of race. Personal responsibility is key to being a good human being...
Mikayla is certainly not asking for anything from you. You need a tissue?

I didn't say there are not issues nor that we shouldn't discuss them. I am saying that we need to have the conversation then move on. Easier said than done, I know. I'm from Detroit. I know what it's like to be the only white person at work or in a restaurant. I was robbed three times. The robber in each case was black. The only grudge I hold about that is that I was robbed at all.

I'm tired of the insinuation that I have issues with black people just because I'm white. Go ahead and call me a Pollyanna. I think more people are not racists than are racists. People, all people, from time to time are going to not like you or judge you for some reason or other. Do we dwell on that or do we conduct ourselves as we want to be treated? I've chosen the latter way to live.

Mikayla is certainly not asking for anything from you. You need a tissue?

Piss off oldlady... She asked in the OP for examples of members possibly being stereotyped. I gave an experience I had when I was younger. I never told her she had to do anything or offered anything but my experience.
Please don't take this wrong oldlady, but once again piss off...

Oh yea I forgot... Take the tissue and shove it up your ass...

1.) They are loud in public.
6.) Something like 70% all violent crime by young black males. worse if u add in "other" and morph over to mexicans/SA.

Sorry sister, data driven above.

I am on record stating Mil/Dal police chiefs are great. Smart, yes. What we git now instead? Evil, dishonest, racist, america hater.

I didn't say there are not issues nor that we shouldn't discuss them. I am saying that we need to have the conversation then move on. Easier said than done, I know. I'm from Detroit. I know what it's like to be the only white person at work or in a restaurant. I was robbed three times. The robber in each case was black. The only grudge I hold about that is that I was robbed at all.

I'm tired of the insinuation that I have issues with black people just because I'm white. Go ahead and call me a Pollyanna. I think more people are not racists than are racists. People, all people, from time to time are going to not like you or judge you for some reason or other. Do we dwell on that or do we conduct ourselves as we want to be treated? I've chosen the latter way to live.
I find the times we are painted with a broad brush are more in general discussions, as we have here, than in actual real life situations. It sucks when I meet someone who hates my guts just for being white, but like you, I believe the majority of people I've met are not racist.

1.) They are loud in public.
6.) Something like 70% all violent crime by young black males. worse if u add in "other" and morph over to mexicans/SA.

Sorry sister, data driven above.

I am on record stating Mil/Dal police chiefs are great. Smart, yes. What we git now instead? Evil, dishonest, racist, america hater.
But saying ALL are loud and criminals is what I'm getting at. I'm not denying that, yes, some maybe even a lot of black people are. I have seen the statistics. But the fact that 70% of the prison population is black does not translate to 70% of the general black population being active criminals. What I am really getting at here is, I don't think I have any grudges against white people, and the only reason I'd dislike you is after I meet you and see that I, in fact, don't like your personality. I just don't think it's right for people of ANY race judge other people before getting to know them solely based off of their appearance or because of their biased experiences. That's all I was trying to get across to people. Don't judge a book by its cover, perhaps lol?

This thread has a duality mission..
Yes. I'm looking to reduce stereotypes for people of all different backgrounds, especially negative ones. Even though the ones saying that all black people like fried chicken is slightly annoying, I don't really see it as a bad thing tbh lol. My intentions were really not just to clear the name about my own race, but to also motivate people to do the same about their own. I was also hoping to encourage people to go out of their comfort zone and interact with people with differing cultures.

This thread has a duality mission..
Yes. I'm looking to reduce stereotypes for people of all different backgrounds, especially negative ones. Even though the ones saying that all black people like fried chicken is slightly annoying, I don't really see it as a bad thing tbh lol. My intentions were really not just to clear the name about my own race, but to also motivate people to do the same about their own. I was also hoping to encourage people to go out of their comfort zone and interact with people with differing cultures.
When I first heard that eating certain foods made you an ethnicity, I wondered why no one told me I was black, when clearly I wasn't...

I hear you on the stereotypes. Any sentence that starts with "White people are.." or "Black people are..." makes me angry. The one thing I can promise you is no one but me can speak for me. The damage begins when we assume the dialogue in another person's head. If you or I have been taught the other skin color will default to a certain mindset, we have effectively blocked any healing that can happen between the races. No communication can happen with closed ears and pre-judgement.

Forum List

Back