Why a new jaguar sighting near the Arizona-Mexico border gives experts hope

Jaguars once roamed throughout much of Arizona and New Mexico, even as far north as the Grand Canyon. But throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, hunters exterminated the U.S. population of North America’s only big cat.

But with a breeding population in adjacent Sonora, Mexico, that numbers up to 200, cats from their ranks are increasingly wandering north into Arizona. At least seven male jaguars have been seen in the southern part of the state in the last 25 years—including one that resides in southeastern Arizona—and another handful have been spotted in Mexico close to the border over the same period.

Now researchers have captured videos of a new jaguar on a ranch in Sonora, a couple miles south of the spot where Arizona, New Mexico, and Mexico intersect—and where border wall construction ceased only two months ago.

It's actually a pretty interesting article IF you can move past the blah, blah, blah border wall.

Actually the blah blah blah border wall is very relevant to migratory patterns of ground creatures....and apparently a few flying ones that can't get much altitude apparently. I am all for reasonable walls but taking these things into account is part of my "reasonable"
Actually, you could move around that by re introducing them back into AZ.

There is apparently some dumb ass desert owl that flies into walls if they are there and there is no moving around that.

You're really into disrupting the native "food chain" a bit here. I'm all for preserving habitat, but Jaguars EAT A LOT and re-introducing them on purpose 100 years after they were native is a pretty disruptive move..
Cats are too sneaky. They've been there all along. Humans aren't herding cats and "re-introducing them on purpose" anywhere. That's ridiculous.

Jaguars once roamed throughout much of Arizona and New Mexico, even as far north as the Grand Canyon. But throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, hunters exterminated the U.S. population of North America’s only big cat.

But with a breeding population in adjacent Sonora, Mexico, that numbers up to 200, cats from their ranks are increasingly wandering north into Arizona. At least seven male jaguars have been seen in the southern part of the state in the last 25 years—including one that resides in southeastern Arizona—and another handful have been spotted in Mexico close to the border over the same period.

Now researchers have captured videos of a new jaguar on a ranch in Sonora, a couple miles south of the spot where Arizona, New Mexico, and Mexico intersect—and where border wall construction ceased only two months ago.

It's actually a pretty interesting article IF you can move past the blah, blah, blah border wall.
I didn't know Nat Geo had a paywall.
I didn't either.

Actually the blah blah blah border wall is very relevant to migratory patterns of ground creatures....and apparently a few flying ones that can't get much altitude apparently. I am all for reasonable walls but taking these things into account is part of my "reasonable"

There is apparently some dumb ass desert owl that flies into walls if they are there and there is no moving around that.
The cactus ferruginous pygmy owl.

The cactus ferruginous pygmy owl's range has been declining since the 1970s due to habitat loss and degradation from livestock grazing.

Experts estimate fewer than 100 remain in Arizona.

I'm wary of the 894 additional reasons why there can't be a wall. Pre-wall they were in decline.

You're really into disrupting the native "food chain" a bit here. I'm all for preserving habitat, but Jaguars EAT A LOT and re-introducing them on purpose 100 years after they were native is a pretty disruptive move..
Yee-up. Really into it. There has been collaboration between Sonora and Arizona. There are bobcats and mountain lions that are found in both locations. Javelina are pretty terrifying especially if you are surrounded and have to sit on top of your car with four other people.

There are already a couple hundred rich drunk Mexicans out hunting for it, so it's days are numbered. They will probably kill at least 50 people before they get it.

Yee-up. Really into it. There has been collaboration between Sonora and Arizona. There are bobcats and mountain lions that are found in both locations. Javelina are pretty terrifying especially if you are surrounded and have to sit on top of your car with four other people.

Their wild boar cousins are swarming all over Texas; can't kill them fast enough.

As soon as the cats kill enough stupid hippies and other dumbasses, the honeymoon will be over for them, too.

Bears are another population that needs to be thinned out as well.

Their wild boar cousins are swarming all over Texas; can't kill them fast enough.

As soon as the cats kill enough stupid hippies and other dumbasses, the honeymoon will be over for them, too.
Which ones? Cats or javelina?

I corrected my post; the first sentence applies to the wild pigs, the second to the cats. Sorry, I didn't notice until after I posted it wasn't clear.

I corrected my post; the first sentence applies to the wild pigs, the second to the cats. Sorry, I didn't notice until after I posted it wasn't clear.
I like the cats. I have encountered them and left the scene unscathed. The wild boars scare the beejeezes out of me. I can say that many animals are afraid of humans and that's when they strike. Not them. They just don't care. I'm like, "No. I'm the human. You be scared. No. You." They are like, "You're mere existence is enough. Muhahahaha."

How big are they?
There jaws are the most devastating of any cat

Jaguars have been known to even kill alligators

If a jag attacked me ..it would be over before I even knew what hit me

Maybe we should let Darwin have its way with that one?

Who needs a wall when you have big cats?

Who needs a wall when you have big cats?
That's what I was thinking.

Maybe we should let Darwin have its way with that one?

Owls are cool though. If it were like a flying scorpion or something I would agree with ya.

• The first surveys to count jaguars in Mexico revealed a 20% increase in the population from 2010 to 2018, up to 4,800 animals.
  • Conservation strategies targeted the most urgent threats to jaguars, and prioritized protecting wildlife preserves and natural corridors.
  • Mexico’s National Alliance for Jaguar Conservation united the government, people living near protected areas, and the private sector in plans to conserve the iconic species.
The jaguar population in Mexico increased by about 800 animals from 2010 to 2018, according to the first two censuses of the elusive carnivores ever conducted in the country. The news confirms that Mexico’s national strategy to protect jaguars is working, researchers reported recently in the journal PLOS One.

“It was incredible to see jaguars in so many places where there weren’t any before,” said ecologist Gerardo Ceballos of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, founder of Mexico’s National Alliance for Jaguar Conservation and lead author of the paper.

Jaguar drinking from a river in Mexico. Photo credit: Gerardo CeballosJaguar drinking from a river in Mexico. Photo credit: Gerardo Ceballos
The jaguar (Panthera onca), listed by the IUCN as Near Threatened, ranges from northern Mexico through Central America, the Amazon Basin, and into northern Argentina. Ecologists had never properly counted jaguars in Mexico before, making it difficult to design a conservation program in the iconic cat’s northernmost ranges. The alliance created by Ceballos and his colleagues used the results of the first Mexican jaguar census in 2010 to create a national strategy endorsed by government policy and scientists alike.

“This [paper] is very important,” said jaguar researcher Ronaldo Gonçalves Morato, head of the National Predator Center at the Instituto Chico Mendes de Conservação da Biodiversidade in Brazil. He was not involved in the study. “They are connecting science with conservation plans. It can be a good model for researchers—not only working with jaguars, but all the other big cats or other species that are critically endangered.”

1642695574448.png

Matter of fact, I support The Nature Conservancy too. Nothing much, I'm a fixed-income retiree, but we do what we can.

Last edited:
I liked that cruise ship commercial that had a woman daydreaming about where to go on vacation and all those animals attack their car and they were all screaming. Great commercial.

Forum List

Back