Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009
Why a federal minimum wage law?

There are libertarians and/or credible economists that continue arguing the justification of a minimum wage rate. Currently, all of the world's industrial nations have government laws similar to our federal minimum wage rate, or some quasi-government organization that enforce something to accomplish our rate's purpose.

If the federal minimum wage rate statutes were eliminated, What are likely to be USA states net detrimental deliberate or unintentional harm to other states' economies? Particularly the consequences between neighboring states? The Constitutional Convention of 1787 addressed this issue and included the commerce clause within our constitution.

Currently, each state's government may, and many do expand upon the coverage and/or the amount of the federal minimum wage rate.

I'm a proponent of gradually increasing of the federal minimum wage rate to 125% of its Feb-1968 purchasing power, and then continuing to retain that purchasing power; that's of a little greater targeted purchasing power than that of H.R. 582, but I'm pleased with that last passed House resolution. It will be to Democrats' advantages in 2020.

Respectfully, Supposn

There are libertarians and/or credible economists that continue arguing the justification of a minimum wage rate. Currently, all of the world's industrial nations have government laws similar to our federal minimum wage rate, or some quasi-government organization that enforce something to accomplish our rate's purpose.

If the federal minimum wage rate statutes were eliminated, What are likely to be USA states net detrimental deliberate or unintentional harm to other states' economies? Particularly the consequences between neighboring states? The Constitutional Convention of 1787 addressed this issue and included the commerce clause within our constitution.

Currently, each state's government may, and many do expand upon the coverage and/or the amount of the federal minimum wage rate.

I'm a proponent of gradually increasing of the federal minimum wage rate to 125% of its Feb-1968 purchasing power, and then continuing to retain that purchasing power; that's of a little greater targeted purchasing power than that of H.R. 582, but I'm pleased with that last passed House resolution. It will be to Democrats' advantages in 2020.

Respectfully, Supposn

I'm a proponent of gradually increasing of the federal minimum wage rate to 125% of its Feb-1968 purchasing power

A $15 minimum wage would be stupid and damaging.

No sale.

Respectfully, Supposn

if it wasnt for that pesky constitution,,,,,

Respectfully, Supposn

In 1968, the minimum wage was $1.60 an hour. Adjusted for inflation, to just equal that same minimum wage today, you'd have to earn $11.78 an hour! So the sad truth is that as much as I don't care for the minimum wage on principle, the fact that many today are working for as little as $8 something an hour just goes to show how much workers are getting shafted. A great many people today aren't even making the $12/hr it would take just to break even with the minimum wage of yesteryear!

So the problem isn't talk of a $15.00 minimum wage though I think $12 is more in line, it is that over the years, companies have quietly maximized profits for themselves by underpaying their employees to the tune that a $15 or even a $12 minimum wage now would cause two things:
  1. For companies to drastically cut their own profit margins for themselves.
  2. For the consumer to pay a considerably higher retail price.
Of course, if everyone was actually making $12 an hour or MORE, adjusted accordingly, we could all AFFORD IT.

Respectfully, Supposn
Very good question. If one state wanted a free and open market where the employee and company had an agreement to pay what the employee was worth, and if it was lower than what is agreed on in lets say NYC, then both sides have reached an agreement thus both are happy. Now also in the lower paying state, you dont need 100s of thousands of dollars just to live in a 1 bedroom efficiency but nice 3 bedroom house. I see it all the time, here in Floor E Da where wages are paid because of the scarcity of the employees, thus they are making more than minimum wage. but if the liberals come in, then those who are making more, end up making the same as the new employee, thus causing animosity between the experienced worker and the novice. But it is always the way of Demonrats to make everyone the same, poor and miserable, that is called fairness, no one can be happy.

Respectfully, Supposn

In 1968, the minimum wage was $1.60 an hour. Adjusted for inflation, to just equal that same minimum wage today, you'd have to earn $11.78 an hour! So the sad truth is that as much as I don't care for the minimum wage on principle, the fact that many today are working for as little as $8 something an hour just goes to show how much workers are getting shafted. A great many people today aren't even making the $12/hr it would take just to break even with the minimum wage of yesteryear!

So the problem isn't talk of a $15.00 minimum wage though I think $12 is more in line, it is that over the years, companies have quietly maximized profits for themselves by underpaying their employees to the tune that a $15 or even a $12 minimum wage now would cause two things:
Of course, if everyone was actually making $12 an hour or MORE, adjusted accordingly, we could all AFFORD IT.
Underpaying? Does having to give to their SS, Medicare, IRA, insurance, and other perks not count in for the employees pay? Okay give the employee 15 an hour, make them pay for all their own retirements and healthcare. And no welfare, since everyone is making over 30 thousand a year.

Respectfully, Supposn

Underpaying? Does having to give to their SS, Medicare, IRA, insurance, and other perks not count in for the employees pay? Okay give the employee 15 an hour, make them pay for all their own retirements and healthcare. And no welfare, since everyone is making over 30 thousand a year.

They were doing all of that in 1968. Problem is that over the years, companies have resorted to cheap foreign labor and artificially held prices down to be competitive. Truth is that things cost a lot more. We've been living in the Chinese Bubble. Minimum wage needs to be $12 (no one at minimum wage gets IRAs, retirement or fully paid healthcare) and service costs adjusted accordingly so that both worker and employer can both make a decent living.

Respectfully, Supposn

They were doing all of that in 1968. Problem is that over the years, companies have resorted to cheap foreign labor and artificially held prices down to be competitive. Truth is that things cost a lot more. We've been living in the Chinese Bubble. Minimum wage needs to be $12 (no one at minimum wage gets IRAs, retirement or fully paid healthcare) and service costs adjusted accordingly so that both worker and employer can both make a decent living.

Minimum wage needs to be $12

How many people currently make less than $12?

Respectfully, Supposn

Looks like best guess is that about 40% of the people working in this country make $12 an hour or less. So nearly 4 in every 10 are making BELOW the federal minimum wage as it stood in 1968. Which means that those making more back then were living well. There is your decline of the Middle Class. In my state, you can earn as little as $7.25 which is a loss of about FORTY PERCENT below the minimum wage workers once made! And all pay is calculated accordingly. The lower the minimum wage the less they can justify paying everyone else.

After all, what do they tell you: We are offering $10.25 an hour which is $3 above minimum wage!

Short story: American workers are TAKING A BATH. We work for less, work harder, get less benefits and vacation compared to our European counterparts who on average get six weeks vacation their first year. And if you work up here in the North East compared to the South, they expect you to work even harder.

Now you know why the days of your father working and he'd be damned if his wife was going to work are gone to now where nearly every couple both members must hold down jobs just to break even.

In 1968, the minimum wage was $1.60 an hour. Adjusted for inflation, to just equal that same minimum wage today, you'd have to earn $11.78 an hour! ... ... Of course, if everyone was actually making $12 an hour or MORE, adjusted accordingly, we could all AFFORD IT.
Toddsterpatriot, that's an excellent question. What is the percentile of USA employees earning $12 or less per hour? Have you found anything authoritative that could lead us to the answer?

I suppose the minimum rate has a critical effect upon the 20th percentile of USA employees wages, and substantial effect upon the remainder of the 40th percentile of USA's employees.

Refer to:
Minimum wage is an issue of character. ...
Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:

Respectfully, Supposn

Looks like best guess is that about 40% of the people working in this country make $12 an hour or less. So nearly 4 in every 10 are making BELOW the federal minimum wage as it stood in 1968. Which means that those making more back then were living well. There is your decline of the Middle Class. In my state, you can earn as little as $7.25 which is a loss of about FORTY PERCENT below the minimum wage workers once made! And all pay is calculated accordingly. The lower the minimum wage the less they can justify paying everyone else.

After all, what do they tell you: We are offering $10.25 an hour which is $3 above minimum wage!

Short story: American workers are TAKING A BATH. We work for less, work harder, get less benefits and vacation compared to our European counterparts who on average get six weeks vacation their first year. And if you work up here in the North East compared to the South, they expect you to work even harder.

Now you know why the days of your father working and he'd be damned if his wife was going to work are gone to now where nearly every couple both members must hold down jobs just to break even.

my state, you can earn as little as $7.25 which is a loss of about FORTY PERCENT below the minimum wage workers once made!

Two years ago, less than 0.7% of hourly workers made minimum wage.

And all pay is calculated accordingly.

Baloney.

Now you know why the days of your father working and he'd be damned if his wife was going to work are gone

We buy much bigger houses now and spend more on almost everything.

Are you just STOOPID, or deliberately deceptive?

my state, you can earn as little as $7.25 which is a loss of about FORTY PERCENT below the minimum wage workers once made!

I researched two websites which both confirmed that about 42% of workers made below the proposed $15 minimum wage. It would take about $12 an hour to equal the minimum wage of 1968. Another website confirm that 38% of workers were making just a bit below that, so that leaves about 40% of Americans making $12/hr or less which is at or below the minimum wage of 1968 not the minimum wage of today. Wake the fuck up, learn to read people's posts, moron and stop arguing apples and oranges.

Of course it is. If the minimum wage were to go up to %15 an hour for flipping burgers and you were making $17 an hour doing skilled, difficult work or tied to a union contract, you damn well better bet that you would either get a raise or be demanding one.

Now you know why the days of your father working and he'd be damned if his wife was going to work are gone
Claim number 3. Yet I see no proof of it other than your hot air. Much bigger houses now? Spend way more? BULLSHIT. Most couples both work jobs just to keep nose above water. But thanks for the bullshit claims.

In 1968, the minimum wage was $1.60 an hour. Adjusted for inflation, to just equal that same minimum wage today, you'd have to earn $11.78 an hour! ... ... Of course, if everyone was actually making $12 an hour or MORE, adjusted accordingly, we could all AFFORD IT.
Toddsterpatriot, that's an excellent question. What is the percentile of USA employees earning $12 or less per hour? Have you found anything authoritative that could lead us to the answer?

I suppose the minimum rate has a critical effect upon the 20th percentile of USA employees wages, and substantial effect upon the remainder of the 40th percentile of USA's employees.

Refer to:
Respectfully, Supposn

I got a point to make,,

where in the constitution does it give the feds authority to be involved in a private transaction between two people???

it doesnt,,,

[Why a federal minimum wage law?]
Very good question. If one state wanted a free and open market where the employee and company had an agreement to pay what the employee was worth, and if it was lower than what is agreed on in lets say NYC, then both sides have reached an agreement thus both are happy. Now also in the lower paying state, you dont need 100s of thousands of dollars just to live in a 1 bedroom efficiency but nice 3 bedroom house. I see it all the time, here in Floor E Da where wages are paid because of the scarcity of the employees, thus they are making more than minimum wage. but if the liberals come in, then those who are making more, end up making the same as the new employee, thus causing animosity between the experienced worker and the novice. But it is always the way of Demonrats to make everyone the same, poor and miserable, that is called fairness, no one can be happy.
Andaronjim,
Governments' minimum wage rate is not germane in cases of market's scarcity of available labor for any specific job and it's not germane to this discussion thread.

Employers are not legally mandated to do so but they generally increase all of their lower and middle-wage rates well prior to the enactment date of a federal minimum wage increase. They are impelled by the concepts of wage differential rather than by law, to do so. You incorrectly contend employers behave otherwise.
Respectfully, Supposn

Refer to:
Respectfully, Supposn

I got a point to make,,

where in the constitution does it give the feds authority to be involved in a private transaction between two people???

it doesnt,,,

HaHa! Surprise! 88% of what the government does today is illegal! Even if they write their own bogus laws giving themselves the right to do it! The government has been walking all over the Constitution for ages! (and before some idiot asks me where I got the 88% at, it's just a metaphorical number I use to illustrate a point, but I bet it ain't too far off)

Refer to:
Respectfully, Supposn

I got a point to make,,

it doesnt,,,

HaHa! Surprise! 88% of what the government does today is illegal! Even if they write their own bogus laws giving themselves the right to do it! The government has been walking all over the Constitution for ages! (and before some idiot asks me where I got the 88% at, it's just a metaphorical number I use to illustrate a point, but I bet it ain't too far off)

whats that got to do with it???

doesnt mean its still not the law of the land,,,

its also why I despise democrats and republicans as the traitors they are,,

they are not just traitors but terrorist as well..

all I ask of them is to at least have the courage to hold the gun themselves,,,

Are you just STOOPID, or deliberately deceptive?

I researched two websites which both confirmed that about 42% of workers made below the proposed $15 minimum wage. It would take about $12 an hour to equal the minimum wage of 1968. Another website confirm that 38% of workers were making just a bit below that, so that leaves about 40% of Americans making $12/hr or less which is at or below the minimum wage of 1968 not the minimum wage of today. Wake the fuck up, learn to read people's posts, moron and stop arguing apples and oranges.

Of course it is. If the minimum wage were to go up to %15 an hour for flipping burgers and you were making $17 an hour doing skilled, difficult work or tied to a union contract, you damn well better bet that you would either get a raise or be demanding one.

Claim number 3. Yet I see no proof of it other than your hot air. Much bigger houses now? Spend way more? BULLSHIT. Most couples both work jobs just to keep nose above water. But thanks for the bullshit claims.

I researched two websites which both confirmed that about 42% of workers made below the proposed $15 minimum wage.

If only you had posted them.

It would take about $12 an hour to equal the minimum wage of 1968.

So, fucking what?

Of course it is.

Bullshit.

If the minimum wage were to go up to %15 an hour for flipping burgers and you were making $17 an hour doing skilled, difficult work or tied to a union contract, you damn well better bet that you would either get a raise or be demanding one.

You said all pay, not pay $2 over the new minimum.

Claim number 3. Yet I see no proof of it other than your hot air.

The average new home in 1960 was less than 1300 square feet.
In 2014 it was more than twice that size.

If only you weren't so lazy and stupid that you can't type "who makes less than $15 an hour in the usa" into your browser to find out who makes less than $15 an hour in the USA, dumbass:

Who makes less than $15 per hour, in 3 charts

A $15 Minimum Wage Would Give Almost Half of American Workers a Raise. Is That Crazy?

Almost Half of All American Workers Make Less Than $15 an Hour

So, fucking what?
The point being AGAIN, shit for brains that minimum wage or not, if you are making $15 an hour today and the links show that a great many ARE, you're only making 25% over what WAS the minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, back in 1968. And indeed, many people are making a LOT less than $15 an hour today!

Toddlerpatriot, you actually think that everyone buying a house today is buying a NEW home? Whadda ass. People buying new homes today are buying bigger because that is all they are mostly building.

Looks like best guess is that about 40% of the people working in this country make $12 an hour or less. So nearly 4 in every 10 are making BELOW the federal minimum wage as it stood in 1968. ...
Toobfreak, I suppose the minimum rate has a critical effect upon the 20th percentile of USA employees wages, and substantial effect upon the remainder of the 40th percentile of USA's employees. I have not found authoritative or otherwise credible links to what percentiles of USA employees actually earn.

If any readers of this group's forums find links confirming or refuting my assumptions, please post the links. Others may doubt my sincerity, but I do seek the truth. Respectfully, Supposn

If only you weren't so lazy and stupid that you can't type "who makes less than $15 an hour in the usa" into your browser to find out who makes less than $15 an hour in the USA, dumbass:

Who makes less than $15 per hour, in 3 charts

A $15 Minimum Wage Would Give Almost Half of American Workers a Raise. Is That Crazy?

Almost Half of All American Workers Make Less Than $15 an Hour

So, fucking what?
The point being AGAIN, shit for brains that minimum wage or not, if you are making $15 an hour today and the links show that a great many ARE, you're only making 25% over what WAS the minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, back in 1968. And indeed, many people are making a LOT less than $15 an hour today!

Toddlerpatriot, you actually think that everyone buying a house today is buying a NEW home? Whadda ass. People buying new homes today are buying bigger because that is all they are mostly building.

I don't know who NELP is, but those are some crappy stats from those sources.

About Us - National Employment Law Project

LOL!

minimum wage or not, if you are making $15 an hour today and the links show that a great many ARE,

As statisticians, those clowns at NELP make great lawyers/community organizers/idiots.
I can see why you like them.

Let's look at some real numbers.

upload_2019-8-9_14-52-44.png

Table 5. Quartiles and selected deciles of usual weekly earnings of full-time wage and salary workers by selected characteristics, second quarter 2019 averages, not seasonally adjusted

So, the bottom 10% of full-time workers make less than $11.35/hour.
The bottom 25% make less than $15.27/hour.

you're only making 25% over what WAS the minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, back in 1968.

I have a great idea, why don't we import 20 million illegal aliens to compete with our bottom 25% of workers?

you actually think that everyone buying a house today is buying a NEW home?

You actually think the average old home in 2014 is the same size as the average old home in 1960?

People buying new homes today are buying bigger because that is all they are mostly building.

We buy much bigger houses now...…..durr.

Forum List

Back