Who Would Have Thought? Shocker!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Haven't read the article yet Kathianne, but didn't the Iraqis put Sharia law in to their constitution?

And good morning! Happy Saturday! River Day, in my town, a festival to celebrate the river, with rafting events and contests and of course lots of food!

Btw, my brother in law and family live in the McHenry area out there...do you know the region?

Care

Sure, up north by Wisconsin. Growing pretty rapidly. I'm in far west suburbs, DuPage.

Anytime religion is deeply entrenched in government and politics, terrorism and violence ensues. Crusades, inquisition, native american genocide anyone? That's why the western nations have developed secular, separation of church and state public institutions. When the catholic church effectively controlled the governments of europe, terror and violence were commonplace.

Religion and politics shouldn't mix.

Anytime religion is deeply entrenched in government and politics, terrorism and violence ensues. Crusades, inquisition, native american genocide anyone? That's why the western nations have developed secular, separation of church and state public institutions. When the catholic church effectively controlled the governments of europe, terror and violence were commonplace.

Religion and politics shouldn't mix.

Amen---politics needs to keep it's stinking hands outta spiritual matters.

You are of course aware that for Muslims Church and State are ONE thing?

Incorrect.

The wahhabist strain of sunnis, and the extremist shia may think so.

But, the overwhelming majority of muslims on the planet live in, and support, secular governments: Indoneisia, Bangladesh, Malayisia, Turkey, Bosnia, Albania, most of the african muslim nations. And a fair number of arab countries too.

Most of the muslims on the planet live in the southeast asian and african countries.

You are of course aware that for Muslims Church and State are ONE thing?

REALLY??? like Syria? like Egypt? Like Jordan? Like Lebanon? Like Turkey?

please explain how those country's political states are synonymous with Islam. I'll wait.

Incorrect.

The wahhabist strain of sunnis, and the extremist shia may think so.

But, the overwhelming majority of muslims on the planet live in, and support, secular governments: Indoneisia, Bangladesh, Malayisia, Turkey, Bosnia, Albania, most of the african muslim nations. And a fair number of arab countries too.

Most of the muslims on the planet live in the southeast asian and african countries.

Turkey, so far you are correct. Elsewhere, it's creeping in. Regardless of the spin, it's Sharia. A few examples:

http://indonesia.usaid.gov/(S(io01qp55bs1o1syzuckl5s55))/en/Article.aspx?id=267

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...gov&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/country/country_506.html

Your first link refers to Aceh. Which is one small province in indonesia. Indonesia is a huge country.

Please refer back to what the original contention was. The claim was made that ALL muslims believe in mixing religion and politics. It's simply not true.

please explain how those country's political states are synonymous with Islam. I'll wait.

Are'nt they all members of the Arab league? I'll wait.

Your first link refers to Aceh. Which is one small province in indonesia. Indonesia is a huge country.

Please refer back to what the original contention was. The claim was made that ALL muslims believe in mixing religion and politics. It's simply not true.

On 'all' we can agree, but the numbers are substantial. Radical Islam is the norm now, not what 'passed' for Islam 30 years ago.

On 'all' we can agree, but the numbers are substantial. Radical Islam is the norm now, not what 'passed' for Islam 30 years ago.

I'm glad you made me look it up. I learned something.

The only countries on the planet that practice Sharia Law in both criminal and civil cases is Iran and Saudi Arabia. Although the formerly secular Iraqi justice system appears to now be shifting towards Sharia law by the shia government bush helped put in place.

In the rest of the arab world, Sharia law is typically only practiced in civil court, as in pertains to marriage and inheritance. The criminal and civil courts are based on secular law.

Elsewhere in the world, where most muslims live (south asia, africa) Sharia law courts are virtually unheard of. Though you did point out a Sharia civil law court in a small indonesian province.

Syria, regarding citizens:

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2006/78863.htm

Egypt:

http://www.state.gov/outofdate/bgn/e/10845.htm

Lebanon, is in danger of being taken over by Hizbollah, if the legitimate government threatens their areas of dominance. You know that, the UN knows that, most importantly both Syria and Iran know that.

Originally Posted by DeadCanDance View Post
When the catholic church effectively controlled the governments of europe, terror and violence were commonplace.

Bullshit! do you just make this stuff up?

You appear to be unaware that the reason this country had a revolution - and promoted freedom of religion - was because of the founders hostility towards the State Churches of Europe.

You also appear to be unaware of the dark side of christian history, like the inquisition, the witch burning rampages, and the catholic church's brutal treatment of native americans.

I'm glad you made me look it up. I learned something.

The only countries on the planet that practice Sharia Law in both criminal and civil cases is Iran and Saudi Arabia. Although the formerly secular Iraqi justice system appears to now be shifting towards Sharia law by the shia government bush helped put in place.

In the rest of the arab world, Sharia law is typically only practiced in civil court, as in pertains to marriage and inheritance. The criminal and civil courts are based on secular law.

Elsewhere in the world, where most muslims live (south asia, africa) Sharia law courts are virtually unheard of. Though you did point out a Sharia civil law court in a small indonesian province.
Creeping is the key term. Radical Islam becoming the norm is very important, as has been documented by groups as 'anti-Islamic' as CAIR, through polling.

You appear to be unaware that the reason this country had a revolution - and promoted freedom of religion - was because of the founders hostility towards the State Churches of Europe.

You also appear to be unaware of the dark side of christian history, like the inquisition, the witch burning rampages, and the catholic church's brutal treatment of native americans.

I'm not unaware at all...

Your just a little confused about your history.

Give me an example of any society from that time period that did'nt have a darkside of brutal treatment and torture?

And give me some evidence that the Catholic Church ( Pope/vatican)ever promoted abuse.

What does the seperation of church and state really guarantee?

I'm not unaware at all...

Your just a little confused about your history.

Give me an example of any society from that time period that did'nt have a darkside of brutal treatment and torture?

And give me some evidence that the Catholic Church ( Pope/vatican)ever promoted abuse.

What does the seperation of church and state really guarantee?

The freedom to practice ones own religion WITHOUT federal government interference was the original intent, for the separation of Church and state.

massachusetts for many years had a ''state religion'' that was dictated i believe? But they finally gave it up or was forced to...by the SC???

i will see what i can find on this and post it, when i do.

care

Forum List

Back