Who Leaves Their Pets Behind When Evacuted?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Days of advanced warning, days to prep to evacuate ... and people leave their pets behind to fend for themselves? WTH? How could anyone do that? Why would they? Plenty of shelters for people also include shelter for pets, hotels will make exceptions in circumstances like this, plenty of time to make arrangements. People infuriate me.

TRENTON, N.J. - November 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- New Jersey officials have a new system to try to save pets left behind as their owners evacuated the shore because of Superstorm Sandy.

The state Agriculture Department has set up a hotline for owners to let animal control officials know that they left animals behind so that animal rescue workers can try to locate the dogs, cats and other critters and move them to shelters.

NJ launches pet-rescue effort after Sandy | 6abc.com

Days of advanced warning, days to prep to evacuate ... and people leave their pets behind to fend for themselves? WTH? How could anyone do that? Why would they? Plenty of shelters for people also include shelter for pets, hotels will make exceptions in circumstances like this, plenty of time to make arrangements. People infuriate me.

TRENTON, N.J. - November 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- New Jersey officials have a new system to try to save pets left behind as their owners evacuated the shore because of Superstorm Sandy.

The state Agriculture Department has set up a hotline for owners to let animal control officials know that they left animals behind so that animal rescue workers can try to locate the dogs, cats and other critters and move them to shelters.

you would be amazed!

you would be amazed!

More like horrified and disgusted...:mad:

you would be amazed!

More like horrified and disgusted...:mad:

agreed.

This city did a mutual aid with animal care and shelters after Katrina....

It was pathetic.

What goes through people's minds when they leave their pets? That they're just animals and will be ok? That they don't count? People are whack.

Who ties their pet to the top of their car for a trip to Canada?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O5II0ZBCuA&feature]Romney ties his dog to the roof of his car in an airtight kennel?! - YouTube[/ame]

Who ties their pet to the top of their car for a trip to Canada?

Romney ties his dog to the roof of his car in an airtight kennel?! - YouTube

Mitt Romney. Geez you're dumb weanie.

Want to address the OP? Yeah, didn't think so.

Animal abuse is animal abuse. It's not when Romney does it?

If you want to start a Romney dog thread, feel free. Any comments about people leaving their animals when evacuated?

When you leave from a place of danger, you take your loved ones with you, your family etc.... pets are family!

Only a psychopath, with lack of remorse,no emotion no humanity whatsoever would leave a pet behind under such conditions!

thank you for posting this .... :clap2: It means a lot to me, and I know to many others too! TY

If I were being told to evacuate, I would. I would also take the family pets and find somewhere for them to be if they weren't allowed in a hotel or home that I was going to. It's so hard to make that decision when you are in the middle of the crisis though.

If you have no money and nowhere to go, when you are picked up, will they allow you to take the pets? I don't know. Sad for the poor things and the owners. Like Sophie's Choice.

Where I go, my pets would go. If I have to evacuate, I find somewhere that'll take the furry family, or I sleep in the car.

US Congress has enacted the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act of 2006’

Briefly some points are as follows:

"The PETS Act:

• Requires state and local emergency preparedness operational plans take into account the needs of individuals with household pets and service animals before, during and after a disaster
  • Grants the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) the authority to approve the standards of these plans and assist state and local communities in developing plans
  • Indicates that the FEMA Director may make financial contributions on the basis of programs and projects approved by the Director, to the state and local authorities for animal emergency preparedness purposes. This includes the procurement, leasing, construction or renovation of emergency shelter facilities and materials that will accommodate people with pets and service animals.
  • Allows FEMA the authority to provide essential assistance to individuals with pets and service animals — for the provision of care, rescue, sheltering and essential needs to such pets and animals"

Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act of 2006

Disaster Preparedness : What is the PETS Act? : ASPCA Professional

There is no excuse for leaving pets behind especially knowing that a storm was coming in advance.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back