Who is God? Use the Bible only.

God hates 6 of these 7 things: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rabidly to evil, a false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among the brethren.

God is a god of hate.

Proverbs 6:16-19
God is plural. He says, "Let us....."

Genesis 1:26

Hebrew language has a total of 8,198 words while English has about 170,000 words currently in use, and over a million words total. Also, English is a subjective language, while Hebrew uses pictures. Hebrew scholars point out that not only does the word 'us' mean a crowd, it can also designate great power. So, was the author of Genesis presenting God as many, or as a being of great power bringing life into existence? In context it appears to be the latter.

The word for 'hate' also serves more than one purpose, and usually emotion of hate is secondary. Hate can mean 'reject'; less strongly it can mean (in the case of Esau) 'put second'.

We cannot read the Bible in English through a modern 21st century perspective and gain a realistic understanding of it when it was written thousands of years ago in another language for a people who had an entirely different perspective than we have today.

My favorite Biblical depiction of God comes from Kings. God did not show Himself in powerful events, but as a tiny whispering sound. It reminds me God is best found--not in the powerful events that we regard in awe from a distance--but rather He can be found in the tiny events of one's own life/existence.

God also likes the smell of Christ His son.

2 Corinthians 2:15
Ephesians 5:2

That verse has nothing to do with the actual physical smell of Jesus, are you joking? :lmao:

First of all, the verse is describing US, not Jesus. Paul is using fragrance as a way to describe knowledge of God, in other words it's just a figure of speech. He's saying that when we are saved and triumphant in Christ, it is like a sweet fragrance to God, it's obviously a figure of speech.

As for the verses on animal sacrifices, I have been studying this topic, and I still have a lot of research and studying to do, but I'm beginning to come to a completely different view than most Christians... and since it's controversial, and since like I said, I'm not done researching this topic, I don't want to talk about where my views are heading, in regard to those verses. So for now I'll just say this.The truth is not at all what you are claiming.

I am not after truth. I am attempting to accurately depict the Biblical concept of God. If a real God exists I know nothing about Him. I can only verify what I see in the Bible. I cannot verify my feelings or the feelings of others. I cannot verify my eyewitness accounts of God or the eyewitness accounts of others. I have to use the Bible. It is the only foundation on which an assertion can be made that equally applies to all people. All other ground is sinking sand. We all have to work off of the same basis or there is no discussion, only chaos.

The bible does have verses that may be puzzling at first glance, but that's why it needs to be studied as a whole, in depth, prayerfully, and with a teachable heart... as opposed to cherry-picking certain verses that atheists always point to, while ignoring not only the immediate context but the bible as a whole.

That said, the bible is not the ONLY way to know about God. It's one of the ways. But if you are not after truth, then what's the point of even discussing this? You have to be after truth to accurately understand the scriptures... and certainly to learn about God, bible or not.

I don't want to sound preachy, but it's really true that one has to value truth and desire truth in order to find it, because without a love for truth, one will most likely end up missing it, or being deceived. The bible says "You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart." Again, that doesn't mean ONLY through the bible, but a bigger search, with a sincere desire to learn and put truth first, even when it's going in a surprising direction. I hope that made sense.

The analogy of Huckleberry Finn was used earlier. You can accurately represent Huckleberry Finn based on the book. You can accurately represent God based on the book. If you are allowed to just make up stuff then Huckleberry Finn can be a poor German who lived in Jamaica and sold weed to factory workers so he could rent hookers in their early 60's. It would make things hard to discuss if everybody could make up their own horse shit. Using the Bible as authority is the only way to discuss God. Otherwise you are discussing feelings. That's dumb for the education process but ok if you like hugging I guess.

I'm sorry, but it's silly or dishonest to try to put those on the same level. There's no debate that Huckleberry Finn is a fictional character from the mind of Mark Twain, so obviously in that case we can ONLY go to the novel, we can't go anywhere else.

When it comes to God, only blind atheists claim he is fictional, not everyone else. And don't even get me started about Jesus, because one has to be ignorant or a blatant anti-Christian to believe He never existed. Jesus was the most influential person of all time, a historical figure, and no real scholars or historians claim otherwise. So your comparison just shows that right off the bat you're starting with a huge bias.

Secondly, the bible itself says that there are other ways to know God (outside the bible.) Like through nature, for one, but there are numerous other ways.

Well, for this discussion we are using the Bible. If you want to just make up random stuff then go ahead I suppose.

Who is God? Use the Bible only

POINTLESS QUESTION. The question cannot be satisfactorily answered solely within the confines of the Bible since the Bible is but a tiny subset of God implying that God is nothing more than from one view from a brief time in history on one planet for a tiny group of people in a tiny pocket of the universe! It implies that humans and Jews and Christians are indeed the entire center of the universe and God's sole concern!

And that is arrogantly absurd.

So you need to rephrase your question to ask: Who is God from the perspective of the writers of the Bible?

Feel free to make up stuff. I think that is what everybody else in here is doing. It was my dumb idea for people to be honest and accurate.

POINTLESS QUESTION. The question cannot be satisfactorily answered solely within the confines of the Bible since the Bible is but a tiny subset of God implying that God is nothing more than from one view from a brief time in history on one planet for a tiny group of people in a tiny pocket of the universe! It implies that humans and Jews and Christians are indeed the entire center of the universe and God's sole concern!

So you need to rephrase your question to ask: Who is God from the perspective of the writers of the Bible?

Feel free to make up stuff. I think that is what everybody else in here is doing. It was my dumb idea for people to be honest and accurate.
You mean like trying to prove God is the exact opposite of how The authors of the OT saw God?

Yes, that is super dumb.

I worry for your soul, bro.

The best way to prove he’s not genuine is to ask him what each of the parables means.

He doesn’t have a clue because he’s a fake.

The topic of this thread is theology. You can start as many threads as you want about parables or storms. This thread is about theology. Who is God? If you don't know anything about God then go away. The faster the better.
Which is exactly why I am starting with Jesus, ya big fake.

Run away.

Nothing still?

You mean like trying to prove God is the exact opposite of how The authors of the OT saw God?

Yes, that is super dumb.

Well. I wanted to keep the discussion honest but I am outnumbered. All of the participants here hate the God in the Bible. They have created their own. I call hypocritical if you and other Christian's are allowed to passionately hate God but when an atheist hates God it is somehow bad.

That is some straight up bull shit.

What's the difference between asking who God is from the perspective of the Bible and asking who God is from the perspective of the writers of the Bible?

What's the difference between asking who God is from the perspective of the Bible and asking who God is from the perspective of the writers of the Bible?

People hate God deep in their heart but want to pretend they don't. Their logic doesn't have to make sense.

The best way to prove he’s not genuine is to ask him what each of the parables means.

He doesn’t have a clue because he’s a fake.

The topic of this thread is theology. You can start as many threads as you want about parables or storms. This thread is about theology. Who is God? If you don't know anything about God then go away. The faster the better.
Which is exactly why I am starting with Jesus, ya big fake.

Run away.

Nothing still?
Sure, I could absolutely tell you the meaning of the account of Christ in the storm but that wouldn’t prove that you don’t know jack shit about Christianity or God.

Look, if you actually knew what it meant you would say it. But you don’t so you can’t.

Yes, that is super dumb.

Well. I wanted to keep the discussion honest but I am outnumbered. All of the participants here hate the God in the Bible. They have created their own. I call hypocritical if you and other Christian's are allowed to passionately hate God but when an atheist hates God it is somehow bad.

That is some straight up bull shit.
Nope. No one is interested in explaining to you what you could and should know.

Feel free to make up stuff.
I've made anything up? Tell me what! I need a good laugh. You're another dimwitted Bible-thumper stuck in your own fragile, myopic bubble. Feel free to continue denying the reality of the universe to assuage your fractured philosophy. What does the Bible say about Alpha Centauri or M87? What will be the Bible's explanation of God if intelligent life is discovered someday around another star? Mind you, I'm not knocking the Bible, I was raised a Christian, probably know it better than you, just being realistic about its scope of vision.

No true definition of 'God' can be accurate that limits itself solely to the Bible.

The bible only deals with the activities of Jews and early Christians in the Middle East and in Rome. It does not even mention all of those other people living on every continent on the globe, many or most with no knowledge of each other. The Creator of humans would be interested in all. I think we need to expand our horizons a bit.

My story: At a young age I had an experience of God. As the Bible tells us, God is love, and my experience was one of pure love. God loves all, it is who He is at all times. This being so, I never questioned God, but I did question the authors of Biblical stories. How did they get is so wrong?

They did not. It simply took me years of study of ancient times, the Hebrew language, ancient cultures, and histories--and above all how they communicated in pictures and stories to teach their histories and lessons.

Every single story in the Bible was written in hindsight. The role God is given in these stories is pointing to what had gone wrong--and the emotions assigned to God in these stories depicted just how wrong it had gone. Jewish Rabbis and scholars have understood this for centuries and more. Rabbis have always insisted that scripture is to be studied, not read.

At the time of the Reformation, the Church said that people needed instruction on scriptures--and provided it. Protestants insisted that each person could read and understand all scripture on their own. To me, this is one of the biggest mistakes modern humans have ever made. Every Christian Church needs a Jewish Rabbi or a scholar of the Old Testament who knows Hebrew, ancient cultures, ancient history with a solid background on teaching methods used in those days.

If we taught children (and adults) properly, we would not eliminate atheism, but we would all better understand each other and stop accusations that Christians either love a God who hates and murders babies, or are making up their own God. Believers would better understand non-belief as well.

This is why I want religion as an elective in public schools. The ignorance is staggering, and we need to be better educated on scripture and on how ancient people passed on lessons/knowledge.

I've made anything up? Tell me what! I need a good laugh. You're another dimwitted Bible-thumper stuck in your own fragile, myopic bubble. Feel free to continue denying the reality of the universe to assuage your fractured philosophy. What does the Bible say about Alpha Centauri or M87? What will be the Bible's explanation of God if intelligent life is discovered someday around another star? Mind you, I'm not knocking the Bible, I was raised a Christian, probably know it better than you, just being realistic about its scope of vision.

No true definition of 'God' can be accurate that limits itself solely to the Bible.

You want me to give you a license to make stuff up. I did. If you can make up stuff about God, so can I. Then how can it be discussed if each party is allowed to move the goal posts constantly for the experience of manipulating the conversation?

I prefer having a firm basis. Which one should we use?

You want me to give you a license to make stuff up. I did. If you can make up stuff about God, so can I.

I don't need your stupid license, keep it. Why do you claim I make stuff up but then avoid naming it? I'll tell you again: Who is God? God is the Supreme Cause of Everything. The Personalists see God as an all-Compassionate, all-Loving Supreme Being, the infinite reservoir of all qualities. The Impersonalists see God as being an object, an event, such as the Big Bang, though many don't want to see it as such. These are the so-called atheists and scientists. So, the ultimate failing of science is the refusal to include those things which don't fit into their impersonal view even though these things obviously exist. Nevertheless, everyone recognizes a need for an origin, a place where they came. We all know we came from our mother, and where she came, and her mother, but ultimately we must ask where did the Earth come from? The Sun? And finally, the universe. Whatever your answer, that is God.

The really cool thing is that being that God is unlimited, he can reveal Himself in an infinite number of ways and lets each of us see Him in whatever way is best suited to our needs and state of advancement. He lets each of use understand Him in whatever way best suits our level of placement, as there are an infinite number of levels of being both above and below man, from the animal, plant and far below into the hellish worlds all the way up to the demigods who direct the activities of nature.

All living things are part of God, have a soul, and thus are special. Life is special. It is pure ignorance, foolishness and arrogance to think only man on Earth is special to God.

You want me to give you a license to make stuff up. I did. If you can make up stuff about God, so can I.

I don't need your stupid license, keep it. Why do you claim I make stuff up but then avoid naming it? I'll tell you again: Who is God? God is the Supreme Cause of Everything. The Personalists see God as an all-Compassionate, all-Loving Supreme Being, the infinite reservoir of all qualities. The Impersonalists see God as being an object, an event, such as the Big Bang, though many don't want to see it as such. These are the so-called atheists and scientists. So, the ultimate failing of science is the refusal to include those things which don't fit into their impersonal view even though these things obviously exist. Nevertheless, everyone recognizes a need for an origin, a place where they came. We all know we came from our mother, and where she came, and her mother, but ultimately we must ask where did the Earth come from? The Sun? And finally, the universe. Whatever your answer, that is God.

The really cool thing is that being that God is unlimited, he can reveal Himself in an infinite number of ways and lets each of us see Him in whatever way is best suited to our needs and state of advancement. He lets each of use understand Him in whatever way best suits our level of placement, as there are an infinite number of levels of being both above and below man, from the animal, plant and far below into the hellish worlds all the way up to the demigods who direct the activities of nature.

All living things are part of God, have a soul, and thus are special. Life is special. It is pure ignorance, foolishness and arrogance to think only man on Earth is special to God.

You didn't make stuff up but you sorta hinted that you wanted to. I just prefer we discuss the God of the Bible not the 7 billion gods that each human creates on their own. That sounds like a worthless discussion to me. I prefer discuss one god at a time. This time I picked the one in the Bible.

Fake made up gods make me angry and make we want to start killing people. It is so fucking abhorrent, disgusting and repulsive when Christian's start doing that.

You didn't make stuff up but you sorta hinted that you wanted to.
Where did I ever hint that? Please give the number of that post.

And now after saying I didn't make stuff up, before that you said:
"All of the participants here hate the God in the Bible. They have created their own." I certainly don't hate the God in the Bible!
And before that you said: "Feel free to make up stuff."
And before that you said: "If you want to just make up random stuff then go ahead I suppose." Which is it?

Worse, before that you claimed: "Dude. I am an atheist." If you are an atheist, how and by what credibility do you think you even have any business much less authority debating God and what he is or isn't?

And the coup de grâce: First you claimed: "God is a god of hate." Only to then claim: "God is love." Wow. And you are the one telling others to "stick to the topic?"

I just prefer we discuss the God of the Bible not the 7 billion gods that each human creates on their own. That sounds like a worthless discussion to me. I prefer discuss one god at a time. This time I picked the one in the Bible.
I never said that any of those gods were "created" much less created (made up) by man. I said those were different aspects of the Infinite God that he each shows us as the best aspect of him suited to our needs.

Fake made up gods make me angry and make we want to start killing people. It is so fucking abhorrent, disgusting and repulsive when Christian's start doing that.
You need help man. Go seek help.

New Topics

Forum List

Back