Who here is a Young Earth Creationist?

-cp is a YEC. dmp is also, but he's been banned for... well, he's been banned, anyways, and is not available for comment on this site.

I'm an old earth creationist myself.

I was wondering if anyone here is a Young Earth Creationist? And, if you are, would anyone here feel comfortable asking a few questions?

Here is the website of one of the most respected Astro physicists in the World, Dr. Hugh Ross. His website is called "Reasons To Believe". I've personally heard him speak at two conferences in the last few years.

I am, an Old World Christian, and having that stand doesn't make me too popular with the mainstream evangelicals, but I really see a "head in the sand" philosophy with the other side. I still love my brothers and sisters in Christ, but must keep my lips tight in this area of discussion at times. Sometimes I don't.;)
hugh_ross.jpg

He's (Dr. Hugh Ross) a strong Christian, yet believes that the earth is very old as revealed by scientific data, and scriptural evidences too.

Please check out Dr. Ross's fantastic website.
http://www.reasons.org/

So he does not believe in the bible? The bible believes the earth is much much younger than scientists have proven. The bible said indirectly, the univerese revolves around the earth. I guess you can still be christian though, without agreeing with every aspect of the bible. I believe in god, though the bible is tricky for me, and I tend to lean on science more than scripture.

So he does not believe in the bible? The bible believes the earth is much much younger than scientists have proven. The bible said indirectly, the univerese revolves around the earth. I guess you can still be christian though, without agreeing with every aspect of the bible. I believe in god, though the bible is tricky for me, and I tend to lean on science more than scripture.

I don't think you read their statement of belief on the website. They are very scriptural/biblical in their stance.

The bible does not state that the universe revolves around the earth. That is myth.

1. The Bible states that God created the earth in six periods of time. The Hebrew word (yom) used for those periods of time could be translated either "day" or "age," depending on context. So it's not true to say that the Bible says the earth was created in six days; it says it was created in six yom, which, if we look at the scientific data, is best translated as ages.

2. The Bible does not state that the universe revolves around the earth. While poetic language might make the Bible sound like it's saying that, it's no different than you or I saying "the sun set last night" or "the sun rose this morning." The sun didn't rise or set; the earth rotated, blocking our view of the sun temporarily.

Here is the website of one of the most respected Astro physicists in the World, Dr. Hugh Ross. His website is called "Reasons To Believe". I've personally heard him speak at two conferences in the last few years.

I am, an Old World Christian, and having that stand doesn't make me too popular with the mainstream evangelicals, but I really see a "head in the sand" philosophy with the other side. I still love my brothers and sisters in Christ, but must keep my lips tight in this area of discussion at times. Sometimes I don't.;)
hugh_ross.jpg

He's (Dr. Hugh Ross) a strong Christian, yet believes that the earth is very old as revealed by scientific data, and scriptural evidences too.

Please check out Dr. Ross's fantastic website.
http://www.reasons.org/
Can you link me to any of his research?

Can you link me to any of his research?

I would believe that the website of Dr. Ross would suffice to guide you in that direction of investigation.

Also, you could contact him or employees at the site for answers to your above-question.

I would believe that the website of Dr. Ross would suffice to guide you in that direction of investigation.

Also, you could contact him or employees at the site for answers to your above-question.

I've found a lot of apologetics material, but no research. I've tried google, wikipedia, MSN search, even my school's databases, which are extensive, but I can't find any research of his.

I've found a lot of apologetics material, but no research. I've tried google, wikipedia, MSN search, even my school's databases, which are extensive, but I can't find any research of his.

Mr. Conley:

In all candidness and honesty, I can't say I know about any of Dr. Ross's research, what papers he's published in his past, etc.

Are you saying that you question his credentials as an esteemed Astro Physicists if he hasn't journalized or published research in the past or present that has been impactful?

I think you'll find from his website that his most notable work as of the last several years has been in the area of writing expose's/numerous books, on the accummulated works of other Astro Physicists and using their findings to support his Old World Christian model/concept.

He liberally quoted and quotes many strong secular scientists in supporting his views though.........He doesn't question their research findings, but actually uses their findings to support Intelligent design as well as an Old World model. He just differs with many other colleague's philosophical/religious based conclusions resulting from their findings.....i.e. intelligent design versus non.........or biblical substantiation in their summations versus their indifference or denial of that evidence, conclusion.

He has liberally quoted many strong secular scientists in supporting his views though.........He doesn't question their research findings, but actually uses there findings to support Intelligent design as well as an Old World model.

Anybody can twist and turn information towards their POV by ignoring certain aspects, cheerypicking others...

Anybody can twist and turn information towards their POV by ignoring certain aspects, cheerypicking others...

Totally agree with you about this possibility with people presenting their side or "take", but after reading Dr. Ross's books, and having heard him speak at two conferences and heard him take piercing, hard questions from the audiences, I haven't come to your conclusion.

He's extremely open-minded, and doesn't "cherry pick" in order to support his views, as you have intimated, in my estimation.

It's best to read his material before assumming the worst in this man.

New Topics

Forum List

Back