Who has changed their mind about an issue ?

MadChemist

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2017
I participate on this and other boards and I am questioning the time spent.

I look for well reasoned arguments to change my mind, but I rarely see them.

I was wondering if anyone has adjusted their thinking on a particular issue in general or because of something posted on this board ?

I don't believe people these days change their opinions unless they are personally and profoundly affected by an issue. I have my doubts if anyone on this board, myself included, has ever changed their opinion on anything based on what someone posted.

I have both in general and because of something posted on the board.
I have skillz. But, the real deal is that I can do my job but it is impossible to know everything about everything. I can't do it.
So, I am going to look to the people that do have that experience, talent and knowledge and listen to what they have to say. I don't have to agree with them. I feel like, "I must speak with the counsel."

I can do that when there isn't a bunch of bullshit interfering with discussion.

Before anyone tries to figure out how to sell that shit...............you can't. We see it. We reject it.

I was wondering if anyone has adjusted their thinking on a particular issue in general or because of something posted on this board ?
I began participating in Internet discussion forums back in 2003 and I thought I had found the holy grail that I was looking for that would set me straight. But I was wrong. It took many years for me to understand what the problem is - Internet forums lack dialectic rules. If Internet forums were worthy, then they would have achieved the notoriety that Twitter, and Facebook, have enjoyed. Nobody is saying, "they solved a social problem at USMB, yesterday."

There is no doubt in my mind that the founders of Internet forums were inspired to "make a difference."

I began participating in Internet discussion forums back in 2003 and I thought I had found the holy grail that I was looking for that would set me straight. But I was wrong. It took many years for me to understand what the problem is - Internet forums lack dialectic rules. If Internet forums were worthy, then they would have achieved the notoriety that Twitter, and Facebook, have enjoyed. Nobody is saying, "they solved a social problem at USMB, yesterday."

I am not quite sure what you mean.

I agree that forums can be a huge waste of time. I participate, but quickly grow frustrated at the lack of good information.

And I don't see anyone saying....."Yeah, you made a good point....I think you are right.....I'll change my mind".

I don't believe people these days change their opinions unless they are personally and profoundly affected by an issue. I have my doubts if anyone on this board, myself included, has ever changed their opinion on anything based on what someone posted.

So why do people post here ?

Adjusted, once or twice changed as a result of something posted on this board.

Let me also point out that I don't have my mind made up about a great many things....

Lately....the so-called, stolen election. I don't know what to believe.

The vaccine. It is hard to separate the science from the bolanga.

I have skillz. But, the real deal is that I can do my job but it is impossible to know everything about everything. I can't do it.
So, I am going to look to the people that do have that experience, talent and knowledge and listen to what they have to say. I don't have to agree with them. I feel like, "I must speak with the counsel."

Before anyone tries to figure out how to sell that shit...............you can't. We see it. We reject it.

You nailed it.....we can't know everything about everything. .....so wo do you trust ?

Nobody here except for people like flacaltenn.

You nailed it.....we can't know everything about everything. .....so wo do you trust ?

I have lots of people I trust for an internet thing depending on what we are discussing. Let me define "trust" for you. The decision is mine to make. I trust them to to be authentic and tell me what they think from their pov. It isn't necessary that I agree with them. They are speaking from their own truth. Their words have value.........to me.

I have lots of people I trust for an internet thing depending on what we are discussing. Let me define "trust" for you. The decision is mine to make. I trust them to to be authentic and tell me what they think from their pov. It isn't necessary that I agree with them. They are speaking from their own truth. Their words have value.........to me.

Agreed.

And count yourself lucky to have such resources.

They certainly are not here.

Not every person who thinks differently than me is insane but many are. This board proves it. I changed my mind regarding the 2nd amendment. I initially thought it was outdated but the posters here changed my mind.

Agreed.

They are here. The only thing prohibiting anyone from acknowledging the amount of talent and knowledge on this forum is ego.

Yes... But not in the way I think you mean.

I think the younger you are, or perhaps just the less real world knowledge someone has, the more helpful this type of format is. But then the opinion is not so much "adjusted" as it is "formed". In my younger days, and not on this forum but another like it, I very much formed my opinions using the collective of varied opinions to form my own.

After the formation of the opinions/arguments this and other boards like it hold a different meaning now... It's more about information gathering, than anything else. So... I try to help this board along with that goal in mind. Hyperbole and saying shit that someone doesn't mean really doesn't help anything. I try, but don't always succeed, to post in a manner that my 20 something self would have found useful.

Frankly... If you feel that all the people replying to your posts are partisan hacks... It's very likely because that's all what you wrote is attracting. Post partisan shit.. Get partisan shit. Don't get me wrong, you can post something that isn't partisan and you'll get some hacks to comment... But you'll also get some gold from quite a few posters here that are actually worth talking to/arguing with. They don't talk near as much but thought takes time and effort. Take the spurts that they give.

Agreed.

They are here. The only thing prohibiting anyone from acknowledging the amount of talent and knowledge on this forum is ego.

I don't see it.

I certainly don't consider myself the equal of some of the people who post here. People who are informed and are willing to share.

Maybe I am in the wrong forums.

Agreed.

I don't see it.

I certainly don't consider myself the equal of some of the people who post here. People who are informed and are willing to share.

Maybe I am in the wrong forums.
Maybe you are caught up in the bullshit.

Yes... But not in the way I think you mean.

I think the younger you are, or perhaps just the less real world knowledge someone has, the more helpful this type of format is. But then the opinion is not so much "adjusted" as it is "formed". In my younger days, and not on this forum but another like it, I very much formed my opinions using the collective of varied opinions to form my own.

After the formation of the opinions/arguments this and other boards like it hold a different meaning now... It's more about information gathering, than anything else. So... I try to help this board along with that goal in mind. Hyperbole and saying shit that someone doesn't mean really doesn't help anything. I try, but don't always succeed, to post in a manner that my 20 something self would have found useful.

Frankly... If you feel that all the people replying to your posts are partisan hacks... It's very likely because that's all what you wrote is attracting. Post partisan shit.. Get partisan shit. Don't get me wrong, you can post something that isn't partisan and you'll get some hacks to comment... But you'll also get some gold from quite a few posters here that are actually worth talking to/arguing with. They don't talk near as much but thought takes time and effort. Take the spurts that they give.

I am unable to agree..

If you can show me examples....I'll change my mind :)

Mostly what I see are threads the devolve into the same silly arguments.

You can start one on which beer is better and eventually it comes down to Trump is more stupid than Biden or vice versa.

Forum List

Back