Who do Regulations Really Control?

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
Laws that restrict how a business conducts itself is a restriction on their freedom but has anyone ever thought that the same law is also a restriction on the consumer's freedom as well by controlling what they buy?

When the government mandates what a business is to do it decides how that company is to interact with the public. Some of these rules are good in that they protect the consumer from fraud but what about things that go outside of that?

A company that wants to make fast cars that get bad gas mileage that the consuming public likes is providing them with a car that they like. The choice of the consumer is being fullfilled but when the government decides that that company can't make those cares because it wants them to make different cars that they think the country needs then can you say that the wishes of the individual consumer is being fullfilled?

I'm saying, don't these regulations also regulate the consumption end as well as the production end of the economy since the government controls what is being produced thus controls what is being consumed? It makes me wonder what is the true intent of business regulations are? Do they exist to control the business or do the exist to control what is being consumed by the public?

Last edited:
If it weren't for regulations, there would be thousands of Bernie Madoffs across this country today. Still operating, and not in jail.

Take note, all of our recent problems with corruption and such occurred after the race to the bottom of regulations that started with Reagan, increased through Clinton, and continued partly under Dubya until Enron.

Last edited:
  • Banned
If it weren't for regulations, there would be thousands of Bernie Madoffs across this country today. Still operating, and not in jail.

Take note, all of our recent problems with corruption and such occurred after the race to the bottom of regulations that started with Reagan, increased through Clinton, and continued partly under Dubya until Enron.

I don't know why I am talking to you since you are not a part of this country but I was not talking about things involving fraud. Those laws need to exist because they protect other people but most regulations are designed to control how business operates which borrows directly from corpratism preached by Musilini.

And regulations did not cause this mess and even if it did the outcome of ones own freedom does not negate that freedom. The outcome of free-speech is not always positive as in the case for Klan literture but that right still exist for them. The same can be said for a business who chooses to operate a certain way. It may or may not benefit anyone else but it is a part of that person's freedom to operate the way they want.

Sorry you lose

hmm how does Lamborghini make and sell cars then?

It was an example smart guy.

What is most analogous are the regulations on health insurance at the state level. The state regulates what insurance companies MUST cover. Well maybe I don't want all of that stuff covered. Maybe I only want insurance that covers catastrophic illnesses. And I'll agree to pay the rest. Or maybe I just want my prescriptions covered. Or maybe I'm rich and I want my plan to cover everything under the sun. The point is your ablity to tailor a health care plan to you is exrremely limited due in large part to the plethora of government regulations.

The anti-capitalists do all this fear mongering about how if there were no regulations eveyrone would just get taken. Problem is that is exactly the opposite of how capitalism works. No business is going to get far trying to screw it's customers. The good businesses go what their customers want. It's that simple. And there is no reason to think that if allowed via some deregulation insurance companies would do the same.

Forum List

Back